Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is obvious now that I suffer from some kind of mental problem. Otherwise doing this never would have crossed my mind. I mean I have two perfectly lovely dogs.... well okay one perfectly lovely dog and one perfect hellion of a puppy but still!

A few weeks ago after finishing her latest 4H project my oldest daughter announced that she wanted to get involved with the junior handling program
that the AKC has.

So I started looking into it. We got her a junior handlers ID number and I found a local kennel club and will hopefully start her in handling classes in the fall. Seeing as how we are in Phoenix lots of things sort of shut down over the summer due to the heat.

So Coraline is amazing but she is not a show puppy. She comes from performance lines and we will likely start doing lure coursing with her - because it looks like a lot of fun!

So my husband is like "Well lets get a show quality Borzoi" - like they somehow super easy to just ...acquire. However I found a breeder in New Mexico that had one boy left from a litter she had four months ago. He was being offered to a show/performance/companion home and is absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous.

Then came two weeks of kind of brutal checks! we had an initial phone interview, then she had phone interviews with two references and Amelia's breeder. Then we had a home check and a final phone interview and today
we were finally approved!

My husband will be driving to New Mexico on Saturday to pick him up. We have not decided on a name yet as I am too busy questioning where my sanity ran off to.

Two sight hound puppies? at once? Well at least I still have my sense of humour!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Honestly, I envy you the ability to take on more dogs. I would if I could, but I'd have to move, become unemployed and rich. Or at lease richer than currently am. :)

The couple who host our lure coursing have raised several Afghan puppies over the last couple of years. I think they started with 7, and are now down to 5 - but they still have their adults, for a total of 7 dogs. Or maybe it was 9 puppies they started with, down to 7, with the two adults. Anyway, a lot of puppies all at once - and they have survived. They do have outside kennels/pens for them, with regular access to the house and lots of attention, exercise and stimulation, but definitely a full-time job. (Luckily, they are both retired.)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well congrats on the new addition. But why not use Amelia or Coraline as a Jrs dog? I know Amelia's breeder occasionally shows her dogs, and judges seem to love Afghans in the Jrs ring. Both Coraline and Amelia are still young enough to easily be taught how to show. You don't have to have a perfect show champion to do well in Jrs, it's all about the handling and presentation skills.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@animalcracker for Amelia the answer is simple: I do not want to have to keep an Afghan in a show coat. It is really hard to keep things from getting stuck in their coats and we do a lot of camping/hiking which makes it even harder.

For Coraline it is because she is being trained as my future service dog and I need her to be focused on that and not on being a show dog. She has the exact temperament that I need in a service dog - which is quite difficult to find.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Sounds like you are going to have one crazy household. But it's totally do-able if everyone in the family is willing to pitch in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts