Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying my best to potty train my 5 mth old but I am still having the same issues. He does great about going to the door when he needs to go to the bathroom but the problem I am having is when he is in his kennel I cant get him out fast enough before he begins to pee. I say no to him while he is doing it but he does not stop. :mad: I am so frustrated with this!!:confused: How can I get him not to pee in his kennel?:(:(

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
A better place for the topic lol. how long is he being crated for? Don't punish him for going inside, they will start doing it behind your back. He obviously has been holding it for a long time...have you considered restricting his water intake? Also is he peeing out of excitement? 5 months is still young for holding their bladder too long.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Its kinda wierd that he will hold it until you come get him....sounds like excitement of submission urination...try to not say anything to the dog when you take him out, you may even want to not look at him.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A better place for the topic lol. how long is he being crated for? Don't punish him for going inside, they will start doing it behind your back. He obviously has been holding it for a long time...have you considered restricting his water intake? Also is he peeing out of excitement? 5 months is still young for holding their bladder too long.
I crate him for the time I am at work and I have restricted his water intake for the last week and it still has not worked. I've tried the firm "NO" but im not sure if he just does not know how to stop or if he figures he might as well finish. I think its excitement but he doesnt stop when I try to correct him.:(

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I crate him for the time I am at work and I have restricted his water intake for the last week and it still has not worked. I've tried the firm "NO" but im not sure if he just does not know how to stop or if he figures he might as well finish. I think its excitement but he doesnt stop when I try to correct him.:(

basic rule of thumb is to NEVER correct any peeing pooping. The dogs simply don't understand it in the way we humans think they do...they only learn that peeing in front of you makes you become scary. Just say "uh oh!" or nothing at all in a neutral voice and carry them outside. You want the event to not be memorable..good or bad...you want the only thing he remembers to be the great praise/treats he gets when he pees outside :)

I have grabbed up dogs in mid pee and Iam pretty positive that alot of them simply can't stop peeing once they start, so its nothing personal.

I know its frustrating, but try to remember your dog is still a baby.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its kinda wierd that he will hold it until you come get him....sounds like excitement of submission urination...try to not say anything to the dog when you take him out, you may even want to not look at him.
Maybe I can try that but the problem comes when I try to put his leash on. His kennel is less than 5 feet from the door but that is not even close enough. And today he woke up from a nap so, i know to take him after he naps and we got to the door an he started peeing and peeing and peeing. He was not even in the kennel this time and he indicated to me by going to the door that he had to go out an I still could not get his leash on him. Then he started to lift his leg. And he has never done that before. I dont understand?!:confused::mad::confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked a friend of mine from work her advice because she has a retreiver and she said to crate him more. Example take him out to eat, walk and play for awhile but then crate him until he starts to associate my home as his den and so he does not think that everytime he is being crated that he is being punished. What do you suggest.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Maybe I can try that but the problem comes when I try to put his leash on. His kennel is less than 5 feet from the door but that is not even close enough. And today he woke up from a nap so, i know to take him after he naps and we got to the door an he started peeing and peeing and peeing. He was not even in the kennel this time and he indicated to me by going to the door that he had to go out an I still could not get his leash on him. Then he started to lift his leg. And he has never done that before. I dont understand?!:confused::mad::confused:
Do you live in an apartment or not have a fenced in yard? This could be part of the problem... how far from the door is it till he has grass or ground to go potty on? I suggest immediately taking him out the second he wakes up. He is still a baby...they cannot hold their bladders for more than a few seconds once they feel the urge to go...is he leash trained yet? He could be somewhat afraid of the leash and the rush of you trying to get it on so he urinates in fear.

I asked a friend of mine from work her advice because she has a retreiver and she said to crate him more. Example take him out to eat, walk and play for awhile but then crate him until he starts to associate my home as his den and so he does not think that everytime he is being crated that he is being punished. What do you suggest.
I would NOT do this, especially if you are working a typical 6-8 hour shift. Puppies at this age still need lots of stimulation and lots of potty breaks...

I would take him out immediately when you get home without saying a word or looking at him. After he eats and drinks water take him out before he even shows signs of having to go. Same with after playtime, take him out. When you are leaving to go to work is he able to relieve himself or are you rushing him?

Also if I understand the den thing correctly he will see his crate as his den, not your home...

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
what pawz said ;)

how large is this puppy? can you carry him to the door? Are you feeding him in his crate?

Crating is fine.. but they need lots of breaks...I think what your friend was gettin at is... if the dog doesn't pee , put them back in the crate and try again in ten minutes...after he finally goes he can have freedom :) :)

I'd take him out at least every hour for now (if your home) and throw a party when he pees outside..praise..treat...carry on and on about how good a dog they are.. The more he practices the good behavior, the more of a habit it becomes, and the less the unrewarded behavior will appear.

but it still kinda sounds like submissive urination to me, have you used the leash for any sort of corrections? Collar pops?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you live in an apartment or not have a fenced in yard? This could be part of the problem... how far from the door is it till he has grass or ground to go potty on? I suggest immediately taking him out the second he wakes up. He is still a baby...they cannot hold their bladders for more than a few seconds once they feel the urge to go...is he leash trained yet? He could be somewhat afraid of the leash and the rush of you trying to get it on so he urinates in fear.

I would NOT do this, especially if you are working a typical 6-8 hour shift. Puppies at this age still need lots of stimulation and lots of potty breaks...

I would take him out immediately when you get home without saying a word or looking at him. After he eats and drinks water take him out before he even shows signs of having to go. Same with after playtime, take him out. When you are leaving to go to work is he able to relieve himself or are you rushing him?

Also if I understand the den thing correctly he will see his crate as his den, not your home...[/
Out the door and down the stairs is maybe 15 feet from my door and he lives less than 5 feet from the door. I take him out immediately in the morning and when I get home from work. If I dont calm him when I open the kennel he will knock me over to get out and pee everywhere. At least right now it is just in the kennel and I have taped the training pads to the kitchen floor in front of the kennel because I was tired of him tracking it on my carpet and slinging it everywhere. I get up an hour ahead of time before I have to work so that I have the time to spend with him. I live in an apartment by the way. And as far as the leash he gets so excited because he knows that he is going on a walk and seeing all of his friends that he has met in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what pawz said ;)

how large is this puppy? can you carry him to the door? Are you feeding him in his crate?

Crating is fine.. but they need lots of breaks...I think what your friend was gettin at is... if the dog doesn't pee , put them back in the crate and try again in ten minutes...after he finally goes he can have freedom :) :)

I'd take him out at least every hour for now (if your home) and throw a party when he pees outside..praise..treat...carry on and on about how good a dog they are.. The more he practices the good behavior, the more of a habit it becomes, and the less the unrewarded behavior will appear.

but it still kinda sounds like submissive urination to me, have you used the leash for any sort of corrections? Collar pops?
Right now I would say he is about 35lbs or more and if I carried him he would pee all over me. You might be right about the submissive peeing though. I feed him right outside of his kennel. He lives and eats in the kitchen.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
cool thanks for the clarification.

Sounds like excitement urination...the way thats usually treated is to ignore the dog 100% when hes doin' it...you may want to start to leave the dog in the crate when you come come until he calms down...no matter how slightly(at first, start with baby steps).. when he tones it down walk towards him...if he gets waaay to excited again...walk away..he may take a little time to figure out whats going on...understand that he may pee during this if hes still waay excited.

remember opening the crate door is a REWARD so if you are opening it while hes freaking out you are rewarding that behavior. Looking at him is a reward, talking to him is a reward...all things we tend to think are unimportant mean LOADS to the dog.:)

Its treated similar to dogs with separation anxiety...you come home and ignore the dog for about 5-10 minutes and when the dog is calm you let them out. This way the dog learns that calm is rewarded and you coming home is not the cue for him to loose his composure. :)

Sounds like you have accidentally rewarded excitement and peeing...lol its a pretty common thing people do :)

feeding IN the crate also helps solidify that its a DEN and not a place to pee. :)

not that it matters, but what breed is he? Whats his name? :) :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I thought he was peeing AFTER out of his crate and BEFORE going out the door lol. This is a whole different issue....definite excitement urination. Everything Crio just said is the perfect way to get a dog to not get super excited and urinate because of it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool thanks for the clarification.

Sounds like excitement urination...the way thats usually treated is to ignore the dog 100% when hes doin' it...you may want to start to leave the dog in the crate when you come come until he calms down...no matter how slightly(at first, start with baby steps).. when he tones it down walk towards him...if he gets waaay to excited again...walk away..he may take a little time to figure out whats going on...understand that he may pee during this if hes still waay excited.

remember opening the crate door is a REWARD so if you are opening it while hes freaking out you are rewarding that behavior. Looking at him is a reward, talking to him is a reward...all things we tend to think are unimportant mean LOADS to the dog.:)

Its treated similar to dogs with separation anxiety...you come home and ignore the dog for about 5-10 minutes and when the dog is calm you let them out. This way the dog learns that calm is rewarded and you coming home is not the cue for him to loose his composure. :)

Sounds like you have accidentally rewarded excitement and peeing...lol its a pretty common thing people do :)

feeding IN the crate also helps solidify that its a DEN and not a place to pee. :)

not that it matters, but what breed is he? Whats his name? :) :)
Thank you so much that makes me feel better and I will try these things including feeding IN his crate.:) I will work hard to get this right.I did feel as though there must have been an easy fix. I just want him to be happy and comfortable so we can both enjoy each other. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Welcome!! Let us know how things go :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reading through the post it does sound like the puppy is being locked away a little too long. If he is busting to go when you see him. is there a chance someone could let him out to go to the toilet while your out?

This might seem basic but i will ask anyway: generally dogs will go to the toilet after they have eaten. do you give your canine the opportunity to fully go to the toilet before he is locked up. Try and set your dog up for success.

Something to remember is when the puppy is young their bladder is still developing and its only when they get a bit older that they are able to hold it and wait to be let out.

The other point which might be helpful is teaching your dog to go to the toilet on command. Have you started to do any of that kind of training. A nice positive way to do this is: after they have eaten and you know they will want to go to the toilet is you stay out there with them. When they do eventually go use your command word such as "toilet". just as they are crouching down to go use the word. As they are in mid stream say the "toilet" word again. Once he has done his work give him a pat or bit of food. He/she will learn to go to the toilet on command then. This is a great one to teach because if you are traveling (taking the dog on a long road trip) you only want to stop once or twice and have them go on command.

I hope this helps a little.

Monique

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Thank you so much that makes me feel better and I will try these things including feeding IN his crate.:) I will work hard to get this right.I did feel as though there must have been an easy fix. I just want him to be happy and comfortable so we can both enjoy each other. :rolleyes:

No worries...if you hit any snags let us know...figure at least a week to see a difference.

Ah...a lab mix...no wonder hes happyhappyhappy...they tend to be that way :D:p

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No worries...if you hit any snags let us know...figure at least a week to see a difference.

Ah...a lab mix...no wonder hes happyhappyhappy...they tend to be that way :D:p
Things are going GREAT!!!!:D:D:D
He has not had anymore accidents since Monday. He still kinda trickles a bit bu he holds it all night and til I get home so that is to be expected. But I am soooooo greatful for the advice. The ignoring advice and feeding him in his kennel did the trick! I reward him and give him treats everytime he pees outside as well to reinforce the good behavior. He has picked it up so fast and so well! I am sooooo excited for him! Thank you so much again for your help!;):p:D:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts