Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is about 2 years old and she has run away a few times, my dad is very aggressive with her. She ran away today and when he got her (about half a mile away) he grabbed her collar, while constantly yelling at her, she bit him on the arm (didn't break the skin) and he was convinced she attacked her. He keeps threatening that if she doesn't start behaving better he will shoot her. I think he is getting serious about this.

She is kept in the kitchen 24/7 because we haven't been able to get a fence yet, due to price and bylaws of the neighborhood. She is a husky/wolf hybrid and he is convinced its the wolf in her coming out and going wild. Do you have any idea how I could try to prevent her from wanting to escape or convince him it isn't as major of a problem as he seems to think it is?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Sounds like the dog is leading a fairly miserable life. Confinement like that is no way for a dog to live, much less a husky-wolf mix.

There is not much you can do to prevent the dog from wanting to run. From her perspective, she's in jail, so of course she wants to run anytime she can get out. There is no "training" you can do to "fix" this need/instinct. She needs a huge fenced in area, and also companions, to live a decent life.

My recommendation would be that you find a rescue organization that specializes in wolf mixes, and you turn her over to them. That may sound heartbreaking, as I know you love this dog, but for the dog's sake, she needs a better living situation.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Let me just add, to tell your father that "No amount of punishment will make the dog want to stay home!"

Do you see how ridiculous that concept is?... punishing the dog so she wants not to run away?

I'm so sorry you are in this position. Sometimes it is very difficult to be a dependent in a household, where you know more than the older folks, about such things.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
A hybrid is going to require alot more socialization and exercise as well. Training is critical. Huskies are natural escape artists and you need to keep her not only physically but mentally busy as well. If you cannot commit to that responsibility I concur with Tess' suggestion that you find a rescue that can handle a hybrid. They can be tough to rehome because of the issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts