Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my toy poodle has been living with my xhusband and got pregnant. I was told she get out of the house sometimes. She has the baby Friday and we are going on day 4. I since then have my dog and the puppy. Friday and Saturday the baby was eating with me helping it to latch on but yesterday it wouldn't latch on at all. I am not hand feeding the puppy with milk replacement. The puppy moves around and can be active. The mother is kicking the dog and will cuddle with the puppy but if I walk away she get nervous and try's to pick the puppy up to come to me. Not sure what to do about the feeding. When I feed the puppy he eats but doesn't seem like he is starving. Any advice is needed!! I have been up a lot to make sure my dog doesn't squish the pup.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think common sense says if a pup of that age has not had any milk and is not latching on to bitch, you need to address this promptly. Failing could be fatal. This is not a time to be typing away in a forum, addressing whether bitch is just not a natural or is she not producing milk, is their a defect with the pup, so on, so on.
Process of elimination, mean time milk replacement if pup is to survive.

·
Registered
439 Posts
So my toy poodle has been living with my xhusband and got pregnant. I was told she get out of the house sometimes. She has the baby Friday and we are going on day 4. I since then have my dog and the puppy. Friday and Saturday the baby was eating with me helping it to latch on but yesterday it wouldn't latch on at all. I am not hand feeding the puppy with milk replacement. The puppy moves around and can be active. The mother is kicking the dog and will cuddle with the puppy but if I walk away she get nervous and try's to pick the puppy up to come to me. Not sure what to do about the feeding. When I feed the puppy he eats but doesn't seem like he is starving. Any advice is needed!! I have been up a lot to make sure my dog doesn't squish the pup.
I appreciate you coming here for advice. I am not experienced with puppies, however I'd like to tag @LoveMyFosters because they've been very helpful to people who have new puppies. I would also advise you to go to a vet if possible to check on the health of the mother and puppy in case there is something seriously wrong, but I hope someone can post soon with more experience and helpful advice! Please keep us updated and we love to see pictures :)

Reactions: LoveMyFosters

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
@Doppelganger0337: Thank you for tagging me.

Okay, so you are have not done any hand feeding with this pup, correct? If the puppy is no longer eating it is vital that you start hand feeding immediately or you will loose the pup. Has the pup been able to latch on by itself at all or has it always needed help?

As far as your mother dog goes, it sounds like she is lacking calcium. Mothers who don't have enough calcium can be nervous and sometimes even neglectful of their pups. I would suggest getting her started on some oral calcium right away and see if that settles her down. Is she making the puppy potty by herself, or no? Also, where are you keeping your mother and pup, if the area is too nosy or not secure, she may become nervous and not take care of her pup well.

Reactions: Doppelganger0337
1 - 4 of 4 Posts