Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment 249395 Hi, I need some advice. My dog just recently got spayed 2 weeks ago. Her incision is being to look like this. Is this because she licked it. I tried my best but she would figure out how to lick it while I was sleeping. I’m very concerned it’s turning into an affection. I was prescribed amoxicillin from the vet so I gave her some of that. What else can I do. Also, the knot of the stitches are becoming to be invisible. It’s like the stitches in being to fall down to the middle of her incision. The stitches get taken out Friday. Is this okay, or what should I do. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm not a vet so let me be clear about that. However, the wound looks open, but not serious, and it doesn't look infected from the pictures, at least to me. My basic advice, therefore, is to not panic about it.

If you still have the cone or the body sock that they gave you when you got the operation done then put it back on the dog until Friday when you see the vet. You can try keeping the wound clean until then by dipping a clean/sterile gauze pad in some hydrogen peroxide and dabbing it on the wound. Depending on how irrtated the wound is it might sting a bit so be prepared for the dog to not like that. I would NOT put any topical creams or soaps or anything else on it for now. You can try using medical tape and a gauze pad over the wound to keep the dog from licking it for the next few days but there's a good chance if the dog can get at it that she'll just rip it off again. It's worth a try though. If she does tolerate having it there then you'll need to replace and clean the dressing every day. When you are cleaning the wound dab the disinfectant on it because it will be irritated and possiblly painful for the dog if you pour it on or rub it. Finally, whatever you do, do not try to remove the stitches yourself. Leave that part to the vet. They've seen this all before and they will know what to do.

As for the vet, there's a good chance that the vet will need to touch up the wound and your dog may need to be in a cone for another week or so after that. I'm sure the vet will advise you in detail about that. The main thing to remember for right now is to try to keep the dog from licking it and to stay calm. If it were my dog I would view this as a minor setback. If it changes or starts oozing between now and Friday then you might want to take another picture and send it to the vet for a "telephone consultation" and additional tips. I wouldn't do that if it stays the same if it were my dog but I would if it looks like it is worsening.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Did you finish the course of amoxicillin? You need to keep your dog from licking the incision. Either a cone or a onesies if she can fit in one. Call your vet and move the appointment up for the suture removal. Do not use peroxide on the incision as it will delay the healing process. Finally she may be having a reaction to the sutures. I would not wait until Friday.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Did you finish the course of amoxicillin? You need to keep your dog from licking the incision. Either a cone or a onesies if she can fit in one. Call your vet and move the appointment up for the suture removal. Do not use peroxide on the incision as it will delay the healing process. Finally she may be having a reaction to the sutures. I would not wait until Friday.
Out of curiosity how would you advise to disinfect/clean the wound if using a disinfectant isn't advisable?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think cold water and mild antibacterial soap....
I was also surprised h2o2 was not advisable. I think it's more a problem when it's used longterm or repeatedly as it destroys good healing bacteria as well as bad, but I'm curious as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts