Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 wk old puppy Bear is now decided it's ok to go potty in his playpen. He had an accident in there because I didn't realize he woke up. I cleaned with all the right cleaners and took him outside to his potty place but he is still trying to go in there. And I'm trying to take him out often enough but his little teacup bladder is hard to catch. I guess I need to take him out every 10 minutes. Whew.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What do you have in his playpen with him? Also how big is it?

You might be giving him too much space, little dogs only need a few feet of separation to allow for areas of sleeping/den/eating space and potty space.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's in a baby playpen. He has a bed a blanket and a couple of toys. He weighed 1.9 oz. last week at the vets.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
That's way to much space. For house training purposes the area should only be big enough for the puppy to lay down and stretch out in. Any bigger and they can potty on one side and sleep on the other.

What you can use the playpen for is if Bear has pottied outside and you want to give him a bit of freedom but not have to really watch him you can put him in there. Still be prepared to take him out at his scheduled time. Playpens and exercise pens are also good if an owner wants to potty pad train a puppy, it's easy to paper the floor of the pen and force the puppy to go on the pad, as the puppy learns the owner slowly takes away the number of pads till it's down to one.

·
Registered
347 Posts
For a dog that small anything but his crate is probably too big. I agree with @Rain, you should be using the play pen for times after he has been outside and you can only keep a partial eye on him. Or if you're going to take a shower or something like that. You also might want to try feeding him in there, and he should have a water bowl in there. That should help to make the area feel more like his space.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for your advice! At first I didn't want to crate him that small. I felt bad for him but he has left me with no other choice. He was still holding his pee until we came in. He even would go outside and then again when we came in and I am always giving at least 10 min outside so in the smaller crate he went. It's the same carrier I use for his bed. Will that make him not want to go to bed in it?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks again for your advice! At first I didn't want to crate him that small. I felt bad for him but he has left me with no other choice. He was still holding his pee until we came in. He even would go outside and then again when we came in and I am always giving at least 10 min outside so in the smaller crate he went. It's the same carrier I use for his bed. Will that make him not want to go to bed in it?
Sorry not 100% sure I understand. Are you worried he won't sleep in the crate because he's in there during the day? Or did he pee in his crate?

His crate that he's in during the day when you're not watching him should be the same crate he sleeps in. You want to create a nice comfy den like area that he can use as his safe place.

If he peed in the crate, make sure you clean it out really well with a cleaner made specifically for cleaning pet accidents. Make sure his crate is the right size for a dog his size. It should be just big enough for him to stand and turn around in. If his crate is too big, you can add a box or something in there to make it smaller. If it's the right size and he's still peeing in there, remove any bedding or soft material until he's better at going outside.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No he's not peeing in it. I just wanted to make sure he wouldn't get to where he didn't want to sleep in it bc he doesn't want to be put in it during the day. There haven't been any problems so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts