Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out today that my 11 month old Cavalier is overweight and it seems the new Nulo kibble I thought was so healthy for him is actually pretty high in fat and he is now 2 pounds over weight :eek: The vet suggested switching him to a lower fat food and to supplement about 25% of his kibble with vegetables. Copper eats about 1 1/2 cups of food per day, so I guess that means I should replace about 1/2 cup with veggies? He loves bell pepper (we have guinea pigs so he gets some of their veggies sometimes), but what other fruits/veggies should I use? The idea is to get him back to within normal weight range and keep him there. Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's not that the Nulo isn't healthy; most of the premium brand kibble packs a lot of calories per weight BECAUSE it's good quality food and not diluted with fillers. So you can stay on the good food, just feed less. My go-to veggie is green beans, which I buy frozen (the giant bags at Walmart :)) to keep it cost-effective. Substitute about 1/4 to 1/3 of the kibble with green beans. Another popular filler veggie is pumpkin purée (canned), however if feeding large volumes daily you likely will be over supplementing vitamin A...
Look on you dogfood bag and see how much they recommend feeding for your dog's goal weight (not his current weight), take away another 1/5 or so of that and use that as a starting point. You can substitute with as much green beans as you want to keep him feeling full.
Other veggies are fine to use too - just remember corn and peas are higher in calories, carrots are high in sugar, etc. Hence the green beans have become my go-to veggie ��

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! The pumpkin puree answers another question I was going to ask: how to give him a powder supplement when he doesn't like it with peanut butter. The pumpkin will take care of that and give him good veggies. :)

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
We use veggies for snacks for Samantha. She likes sweet potatoes, spinach, carrots, apple and more. We constantly fight weight issues with her, so I cut her food quantities, but give her healthy snacks. She gets enough real food, with her main mid-day meal, so she gets meat, more veggies, various fruits and that all important organ meat. Vet thinks her nutrition is excellent, though the balancing act for weight is constant and ongoing. I refuse to allow her to become overweight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts