Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Sorry for the blatant title, but I just need some solid advice. I got my little guy a week ago, and I just don't know if I can handle this. It isn't that I don't love his goofy little face, or that I am worried about money or anything... I know I can swing the money, and I know training him is going to be work. I have no problem with any of this... I just don't know if I am doing right by him.

I am a law student. I spend (at most) 6 hours at school a day, and then I come home and have to do 1-2 hours of reading (sometimes 3-4). I have no problem getting up in the morning and brining him for a long walk and a play before I leave for school, and giving him a whole bunch of attention when I get home... I just don't know if it is fair. Am I being selfish keeping him? Am I depriving him of a life with someone who can spend all day with him?

I just don't want him to hate me, or have a life that is less than his amazing little self deserves.

Ugh. Sorry for the ramble I am just really scared I am being selfish and rationalizing this to myself.

·
Banned
66 Posts
That's a good question. As it is, he is not living the optimum life, but, really, who is. His life though is a good life. He is loved, fed, and exercised. No worse than someone who spends their life in a cube farm at a job they hate.

If you could find a better home where he could get more attention, then that would be an option. But it not, keep him and do the best you can. That's what we all do anyway.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
When you say 'little guy' I am assuming a puppy? Puppies sleep a lot, so probably most of the time you are gone he's asleep - but then dogs like to sleep no matter how old they are. I think dogs are fine just knowing you are in the house, so when you are there studying, I think they are basically content.

If you are a little worried about him being bored, perhaps you can hire a dog walker a few times a week to take him out while you are at school...or take him to a doggy day care so he can have some play time with other dogs while you are in school.

Hopefully, you will be getting some breaks from school...Christmas, New Years, spring break....??? This will give you some time to do things with your dog too.

I use to work 8 hour days...sometimes 9 or 10 if a customer came in at closing time and I ended up trying to sell them carpet for a house, or a bunch of appliances for their kitchen. I had a doggy door so my dogs could go out, but that's not the same as me being there.

I also had 2 dogs, so although I also felt guilty about not being with my dogs for as much as I would have liked, I did find some comfort in knowing they had each other for company.

That solution probably isn't a great one to have if you don't want or need 2 dogs...don't go out and get one just to keep your other dog company. :p I just thought I would add that even with 2 dogs I still felt come guilt, so it's something you are not alone in doing...I'm sure many people feel that way with their dogs at times.

Stormy

·
Registered
875 Posts
There is this sense these days floating around that if you can't be there 24/7 for your dog that you shouldn't have one. This is ridiculous. Puppies can be fine six hours alone, so long as you have a safe place to put them so they can't get into mischief. Even if you're studying you're still there to run him out now and again if you need to!

'Ideal' isn't anything most of us can do no matter what. It might take your dog a bit longer to housebreak, but lots of people have perfectly well adjusted dogs they don't see for ten hours a day. Is it the most amazing life possible? Probably not. But the dogs are healthy and well cared for. As I'm sure your pup will be!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't think it sounds like a bad life at all. Dogs don't need constant attention, despite what many people seem to think nowadays. They sleep quite a bit, and 6 hours a day being gone is not really that much. And honestly, who anymore does have a ton of time? Not many people work from home. Most dogs are happy and thrive as long as they have food and love. They're not half as picky as we are.

I work 12 hour days 5 days a week, and my dogs are perfectly healthy and happy. Granted, they have over an acre fenced in yard to stay in and have more do than many dogs, but still. Your dog is safe and fed and loved, and I'm sure he thinks hes got a great life.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Ah don't be silly...It's unrealistic to expect the vast majority of people to be spending time at home with their dogs 24/7.

Your pup will be fine and you can give him a great life despite the time you must dedicate to school and work....With continued training, he will adapt to your lifestyle and the thought that something "better" could be out there will never cross his mind. I own 3 dogs and am gone at work 40 hours a week.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much for the kind words and advice. We are slowly adjusting, and he seems content to just sleep at my feet at all times :)

Thank you for making this new Momma feel a bit better!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.