Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My miniature dachshunds can destroy anything. A typical toy lasts about an hour...if that. Any ideas??? I have even bought the toys labeled "indestructible" lol...

·
Registered
92 Posts
First off....there is no such thing as an indestructable toy.....ever! Nothing will last forever.

Here is a good list of fairly tough toys...but note: dogs can and will go threw these things after a while..they are not indestructable!
Easiest thing to do is go to the pet store (any one) and look at their toys. Rubber ones are definately tougher than plush. Also real bones, bull sticks, and the likes are great for chews

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Boerboel who can easily destroy any toy! Even those so-called 'indestructible" ones and most of the toys mentioned above in SonnyWimps list.

The one toy that has stood the test of his jaws is a Jolly Ball! It is sold as a ball toy for horses. My dog loves it! It cant deflate at all and it has a handle so we kick it or throw it for him and he is able to retrieve with the handle and bring it back for more fun. At about $20 it was the cheapest dog toy I've ever bought and has lasted for a few months already.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a Boerboel who can easily destroy any toy! Even those so-called 'indestructible" ones and most of the toys mentioned above in SonnyWimps list.

The one toy that has stood the test of his jaws is a Jolly Ball! It is sold as a ball toy for horses. My dog loves it! It cant deflate at all and it has a handle so we kick it or throw it for him and he is able to retrieve with the handle and bring it back for more fun. At about $20 it was the cheapest dog toy I've ever bought and has lasted for a few months already.
if you read my post I said NO TOY is indistructable. All toys can and WILL be chewed up at one point. The ones listed in my last post are ones that are fairly strong
I have seen dogs tear apart Jolly Balls like they are chicken. It defiantely is strong, but will not last forever. The dogs at the barn that I board at has a HUGE jolly ball that the BO got for them last week...well in 3 days it was in tiny pieces

·
Registered
49 Posts
I haven't found anything industructable to all dogs either, but one pretty good choice for some is the Nylabone Rhino Bone. It is tough rubber, so they get satisfaction biting into it. One of my Labs worked his daily for years, then 2 other Labs destroyed it in days -- that seemed to be their mission.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I haven't found anything industructable to all dogs either, but one pretty good choice for some is the Nylabone Rhino Bone. It is tough rubber, so they get satisfaction biting into it. One of my Labs worked his daily for years, then 2 other Labs destroyed it in days -- that seemed to be their mission.
My dogs like ropes, but they sell those ropes for a little fortune, so I decided to try some thing...

Went to Home depot, bought 25 feet of 1/2 inch nylon rope, cut it up, on some i added bones or toys, put some knots in them and for $9.50 I have ropes all over for them to play with.

If when one rope gets too broken up or frayed, i just chuck it and give them a new one. at .50 cents per rope, they can chew all they want!

·
Registered
372 Posts
My dogs break anything except kongs. Kongs tend to last longer here than anything else. They are pretty strong and depending on the size of your dog, you get a big one for big breeds and smaller for smaller breeds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like Tough Dog Toys

Tough Dog Toys are durable and strong, but not indestructible. Tough Dog Toys are made of a variety of materials: Chew Toys and Tug Toys are usually made of solid natural rubber; Dog Treat Dispensers are often made of high impact hard plastic, such as bullet-proof material; Fuzzy Squeaky Toys are made of durable plush for all the squeaking, snuggling and thrashing fun.

:rockon:

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dog, teagan, destroys most any toy in 5 min. flat. For christmas, i bought her a toy from pet smart. It was a pig with 5 squeakers designed with "chew guard technology". This particular toy did last her a good 3 days before being disemboweled. They do sell another version that does not have any stuffing. She had so much fun, I didn't mind that she eventually distroyed it!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I will have to check out the toys on the list! My Malamute is great at destroying toys... and EATS them! So I have to be VERY careful! My poor aussies enjoy soft toys and ropes, but I can't have them because of the mal.

Has anyone had a dog destroy a Kong? That's the one toy I have that they have never destroyed, so just wondering :) I know nothing is indestructable, I've just never heard of a dog destroy one so I'm curious!

·
Registered
10 Posts
the only toys that have ever lasted long enough in the hospital or in my own home can be baught at Walgreens, some dollar stores and Walmart. they are VERY bright colored and have squekers. My pitbull has played with them as well as the dachshund, beagle, and dutch shepard and countless others in the hospital that i work in. I've gotten the ball and a toy that looks like a a dumb bell with three points on the ends. The squeker might not last forever, but the toys are still around and intact now for over a year in my home and still around from the hospital for about 8 months now. They also make a ball that has ridges all the way down. I have also baught a toy at the dollar stores that is a bell inside of what is made to look like two tires. That's lasted forever too. it's a ball. it's been at the hospital for over 2 years now they tell me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I will have to check out the toys on the list! My Malamute is great at destroying toys... and EATS them! So I have to be VERY careful! My poor aussies enjoy soft toys and ropes, but I can't have them because of the mal.

Has anyone had a dog destroy a Kong? That's the one toy I have that they have never destroyed, so just wondering :) I know nothing is indestructable, I've just never heard of a dog destroy one so I'm curious!
My old Bullmastiff destroyed several kongs :p I'm glad my current Boxer doesn't though, saves me a fortune, lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dogs like ropes, but they sell those ropes for a little fortune, so I decided to try some thing...

Went to Home depot, bought 25 feet of 1/2 inch nylon rope, cut it up, on some i added bones or toys, put some knots in them and for $9.50 I have ropes all over for them to play with.

If when one rope gets too broken up or frayed, i just chuck it and give them a new one. at .50 cents per rope, they can chew all they want!

Oh wow! What a great idea!! My dogs love the rope toys too. They play tug of war with each other. It's cute.

Thanks for the idea!!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
No toy is going to last forever. You just have to get the toughest ones and see which work the best. Mine have destroyed numerous ones including kong, rhino cone, galileo bone, double action chew, jolly ball, big chews and basically every other toy they've ever had.

I bought a Booda Quirkies which said virtually indestructible (which I think is supposed to mean will last a day at most) it is a rubber toy with this little noise maker inside. Anyway after about 10 mins of use there was already enough puncture marks. This was playing fetch with it, the dog just carried it back to me. After that they did get a little chewing in here and there but I was still taking it to throw even though they wanted to chew. So after about 20 mins of play with her there was several missing pieces and lots of holes.

I don't trust anything rubber to last that long, especially as soft as booda bone not as hard as kong, of course kong or rhino cone as well I will always watch them because I know dogs which have got blockages from swallowing the pieces from rubber toys and nearly died or did die.

I get the durable pooch pacifiers the very large, hard, white ones. They of course chew them up but they seem to really love them. My Cane Corso took a couple of hours and hers was totally tore up.

I give them toys knowing they will chew them up but try to pick what will last longer. Some of the best are tires. Even the smaller ones for a house toy. Not the type they make for dogs but the ones for real use, the dog ones are easily destroyed.

SonnyWimps did mention Jolly Ball (which mine can destroy) but also said no toy is indestructible. My Pits are way worse then my Boerboel in the toy destruction department. So it really depends on the individual dog. Some will destroy certain toys where others won't even if they techinically could.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would like to offer 10% off to try a product at my store. Huck, dog toy is made from non-toxic recycle material which was tested for your dog safety. It is made here in the US. It also comes with one time replacement guarantee to stand up against doggy destruction.

Check out this toy at Krazy For Pets | Huck Eco Friendly Dog Toy.

Use coupon code: GRDOPENING226 when you check out for 10% Off. We also offer free shipping on all orders over $50.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks to this thread I ordered the bouncy bone by Busy Buddies. So far so good! My malamute, my newfy/leos, and my mini aussies have all been chewin' away at it and it's held up! Sure, it's only been a week, but that's a lot longer than most toys in my house last ;)

I forgot to post what my dogs love. Dentley's Natural Choobles Sterilized Bones - Rawhide & Chews - Dog - PetSmart The inside stuff doesn't last too long before they get it all out, but they will chew the bones for years! Now and then a peice will break off one, but that's rare (and of course I throw that away when it happens). LOVE these bones :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
cheyAut,

Hello.Do you take your dog out for walk daily?I do,and I sometime jog half the distance and my dog gets tire out and take nap after coming home.I play a lot with my dog too like Frisbee,ball,training.. and find it game is my dog's favorite game.
Also,if I pick her up from Daycare after coming back from trip etc,she seems tired out and take long nap too.No energy to destroy stuff.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts