Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have two dogs, a 3-4 year old Chihuahua female named Ginger and a 3 and a half month old Catahoula female named Baileigh.

Recently a vet had told me Ginger was fat, and this I've known. She's a large Chihuahua with a pooch under her belly of what the vet said was fat.

Baileigh was hit by a car about a month ago, she's had plates put in her leg and the vet said the incident threw her off her normal eating schedule. She's a growing dog and she seems to not be putting weight on.

I'm concerned about Baileigh mostly. Petting her you can feel she's thin, not extremely. You can feel her back and hips, but she eats like a pig. She's active as she can be, with only her three capable legs. (her back leg she still isn't using)

My parents feel that leaving a full bowl of food down all day is okay to the dogs and I feel that it contributed to the overweight Chihuahua, along with the obsessive feeding of human food from my dad.

Currently we are feeding Purina puppy chow, both dogs. Sometimes they get wet food.

Any good ideas? I'd like to feed them twice day, once in the morning and once at night. I don't think leaving a full bowl of food out 24/7 is healthy for the dogs.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I find that most overweight dogs are so because they are over fed and given too many treats. How does your dog do on the food? Diarrhea? How much are you feeding and what are you feeding the chihuahua?

As for the puppy, given her orthopedic issue, I would keep her thin... BUT I would feed her three times a day instead of two (but only add a small amount of food).

What is your main reasons for wanting to switch foods on both dogs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find that most overweight dogs are so because they are over fed and given too many treats. How does your dog do on the food? Diarrhea? How much are you feeding and what are you feeding the chihuahua?

As for the puppy, given her orthopedic issue, I would keep her thin... BUT I would feed her three times a day instead of two (but only add a small amount of food).

What is your main reasons for wanting to switch foods on both dogs?
They are over fed. She doesn't eat treats, unless you count what my dad feeds her from the table.
They have one large bowl filled with Purina Puppy Chow, and I don't like having a grown dog on puppy chow. Let alone food access 24/7. I would like the Chihuahua to lose weight (She's extremely athletic). I'm looking to see if I can put a bit of weight on the Catahoula. She's so athletic with her injury even that I'm worried about her staying thin unless I can get something in her diet to put weight on her.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Purina Puppy Chow is a highly grain based food and that can contribute to some dogs' obesity. Although it does meet all AAFCO requirements for nutrition, it may not have enough meat protein to put lean muscle weight on your Catahoula. Free feeding can lead to obesity if the dog has no control over how much they consume. Others (especially very small dogs such as 3 lb chihuahuas) need free feeding to avoid health problems.

If you are interested in changing foods, what is it specifically you are looking for? Are you looking at an all life stages? One for puppy and one for your chi? What would your price point be? It's difficult to determine what would be best for both dogs as every dog is different. Some do really well on foods with grains, some require grain free. Some have certain protein source allergies. Some have certain grain allergies.

So, there really is no simple answer to your question without getting some additional information. Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful. But if you can give us some more information, we may be able to help out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Purina Puppy Chow is a highly grain based food and that can contribute to some dogs' obesity. Although it does meet all AAFCO requirements for nutrition, it may not have enough meat protein to put lean muscle weight on your Catahoula. Free feeding can lead to obesity if the dog has no control over how much they consume. Others (especially very small dogs such as 3 lb chihuahuas) need free feeding to avoid health problems.

If you are interested in changing foods, what is it specifically you are looking for? Are you looking at an all life stages? One for puppy and one for your chi? What would your price point be? It's difficult to determine what would be best for both dogs as every dog is different. Some do really well on foods with grains, some require grain free. Some have certain protein source allergies. Some have certain grain allergies.

So, there really is no simple answer to your question without getting somei additional information. Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful. But if you can give us some more information, we may be able to help out.
Okay, well what i'm looking for is either. I'd prefer to have both dogs on the same food but I'll do two separate foods if it's better. We are okay with most price ranges.
I'm not aware of any allergies either dogs have.
I'm just worried about my catahoulas weight keeping up with her growth. The Chihuahua I think would be easier to help lose weight.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
They should not be on the same food. The catahoula needs higher calories than the chihuahua can handle. I think an all-life stages food would be terrible for the chi ( too many calories) and I think anything that is "all life stages" is garbage... Because there are no life stages of a dog that have the same nutritional requirements.

And, again, I don't think you should be worrying about putting weight on the puppy unless your vet says she's too skinny. Why don't you post a picture of her so we can see if she's thin...?

Yes, table food absolutely counts. Cut that out of the chi's diet first... And entirely. Give her meals (twice a day) and don't free feed her. Cut down on what she's getting about 10% a week for a few weeks-- use the back of the bag as a guide but use the lowest aspect of the food range and then take some away. Actually measure out the food. Weigh her so you know your starting point and weigh her weekly on the same scale (one that gives tenths an hundredths of a pound is best).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They should not be on the same food. The catahoula needs higher calories than the chihuahua can handle. I think an all-life stages food would be terrible for the chi ( too many calories) and I think anything that is "all life stages" is garbage... Because there are no life stages of a dog that have the same nutritional requirements.

And, again, I don't think you should be worrying about putting weight on the puppy unless your vet says she's too skinny. Why don't you post a picture of her so we can see if she's thin...?

Yes, table food absolutely counts. Cut that out of the chi's diet first... And entirely. Give her meals (twice a day) and don't free feed her. Cut down on what she's getting about 10% a week for a few weeks-- use the back of the bag as a guide but use the lowest aspect of the food range and then take some away. Actually measure out the food. Weigh her so you know your starting point and weigh her weekly on the same scale (one that gives tenths an hundredths of a pound is best).
Alright! do you have any suggestions on food for the two? If I can get her to sit still I will! She stands a bit funny due to that leg. She's long and lanky and to me seems thin as well as my father.

I have a friend who feeds her dogs blue, but I've read some very bad reviews about the food.

As for the Chi, i'll need to keep telling my dad to stop sneaking her scraps. I noticed today she doesn't like to eat the purina puppy chow. Instead she waits for the wet food to be placed in the bowl.

I'm wanting to get my two girls healthy.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
There are mixed reviews on Blue, but your dogs may do well on it. There are so many decent foods on the market, it's about what is available locally and sustainably. Do you want grain free or grain included? Do you have access to a Costco? TSC? Petsmart? Petco?

As for the catahoula, she should be on a puppy food at only 3 1/2 months old. But, you do want to make sure you keep her on the low end of the feeding scale to keep her lean to allow that injury to heal properly and to prevent any additional stress on that joint as she gets older.

As for the chihuahua, as Holly said, cut out the table scraps and count the wet food in the caloric intake of her overall daily requirements. So for example if she needs 150 kcal/day to lose weight and the wet food is 50 kcal/can, she will only need an additional 100 kcal of dry food per day. The kcal count of any food is available on the product label. If you can't find it, then go to the company's website and it should be listed there.

According to this website for the Ohio State Universtiy Veterninary Medical Centre, Basic Calorie Calculator | College of Veterinary Medicine in order to lose weight, your chi would require about 125 kcal/day of intake to start dropping the pounds. She should not be on a puppy food, the calorie count is too high.

There are loads of good food on the market some decent mid-line foods are Kirkland (Costco), 4Health (TSC), Natural Balance, some Nutro foods, Wellness, Merrick....these are just a few. They all have puppy and adult formulas (except the Merrick - they consider their formulas as "all life stages" but Holly addressed that one). It's really a matter of trial and error and what your pups will eat and tolerate and get the results that you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Catahoula1103

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Alright! do you have any suggestions on food for the two? If I can get her to sit still I will! She stands a bit funny due to that leg. She's long and lanky and to me seems thin as well as my father.

I have a friend who feeds her dogs blue, but I've read some very bad reviews about the food.

As for the Chi, i'll need to keep telling my dad to stop sneaking her scraps. I noticed today she doesn't like to eat the purina puppy chow. Instead she waits for the wet food to be placed in the bowl.

I'm wanting to get my two girls healthy.
Costco carries this read the requirements for both puppy and adult dog and feed the recommended amounts. At this point almost anything would be better than feeding purina puppy chow. The natures domain is probably the same price as the puppy chow so your parents wont object.
Nature's Domain Pet Food | Nature's Domain Turkey Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Blue topaz gave you some good suggestions. Pick a separate food for each dog (same brand is fine but no all life stages crap!) and start there. Know the chi's weight and feed her based on a lower weight to help her lose weight. Cut out all table scraps etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been looking into getting Science Diet for my dogs. Right now we have started picking up the food and feeding in the morning and at night. After we finish the purina puppy chow we are probably going to feed Science Diet

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I've been looking into getting Science Diet for my dogs. Right now we have started picking up the food and feeding in the morning and at night. After we finish the purina puppy chow we are probably going to feed Science Diet

Why would you switch to another poor quality food. I don't mind grains but any food with that many is a problem. Find a food with meat then meat meal being the first two ingredients then one grain such as rice. Any more grains and your paying to fill your dog full of fat instead of protein.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts