Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said good by to my best friend ever on 12/27/19. I miss Fritz very much and now I want to neeed to find His successor. Fritz was a Schnoodle we happened on to 14.5 + years ago. I'm 66 and have had many pets / dogs through out my life, but none of them could have measure up to the personality of Fritz. He was smart, easy to train, loving, playful, kind, intuitive, a tiny rapid fire tail, howling alarm when something was not normal outside, a vast vocabulary he easily expressed through hi eyes and sounds. He loved air ball and volleyed with me 22 times with out failure with a large balloon. The memories go on and his attributes were MANY!
It's time for me to find a successor, can anyone give me good direction to find a : Black eyed/hair male Schnoodle that would be 17 to 25 pounds with in 200 miles of Ocala Florida ??? frits and sun set.png
Original.JPG

·
Registered
535 Posts
Dont do this expecting to replace your beloved friend.
Any new dog will never measure up to your expectations or memories of your old dog.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I’m sorry for your loss. Fritz looks absolutely adorable and seemed to be an amazing dog. However, I dissuade you from getting this designer-bred mix. These “breeders” are, without many exceptions, irresponsible, inexperienced and unqualified. You want to find a breeder that primarily breeds with the focus on health and mentality. With the correct health tests made and a full review on the ancestors health and temperament. This is something that is almost impossible to find with these designer-bred mixes since this kind of breeding mostly focuses on money rather than the dogs. And by obvious reasons this is something you shouldn’t support. Apart from this there’s other reasons why not to mix breeds in any way you want.

Have you considered getting a purebred poodle or schnauzer instead? Or look in shelters after this mix, so you don’t support these irresponsible breeders.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First I'm not replacing Fritz as that is not possible. 2nd yes I have spent weeks looking at rescue dogs and although I feel for them I will not go out side the parameters of this house holds needs. I agree on most statements made about the breeders, however you did mention exceptions. I am looking for that exception. The breed is what I want and have 14.5 years experience with. All of what I have read and know is that I want another Schnoodle. If you have not had an experience with a schnoodle you could not will not understand. Both of you are off subject, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
523 Posts
First I'm not replacing Fritz as that is not possible. 2nd yes I have spent weeks looking at rescue dogs and although I feel for them I will not go out side the parameters of this house holds needs. I agree on most statements made about the breeders, however you did mention exceptions. I am looking for that exception. The breed is what I want and have 14.5 years experience with. All of what I have read and know is that I want another Schnoodle. If you have not had an experience with a schnoodle you could not will not understand. Both of you are off subject, thanks for your input.
Yes I mentioned exceptions to be as fair as possible but the truth is that the word “many” almost always can be replaced with “any” in that sentence.

Since you want this mix, you certainly must like the poodle and schnauzer as individual breeds equally considering that you never know what traits will be prominent? It’s great that you read about this mix but unfortunately you can’t ensure or predict what you’ll get since the puppy might end up completely like a poodle, a schnauzer or some less desirable blend. The fact is that it’s more likely that you’ll end up with a dog completely different to Fritz, then if you’d turn to one of the breeds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well sunflower, all I can say is that breeds as we know them today have come from an origin quite dissimilar. Mixing breeds is how we came up with so many versions of dogs.
At this point I will agree to disagree with you.
So please is anyone able to help me find an Exceptional Schnoodle Breeder
I may have found 1 already, but will be looking for conformation. .

·
Registered
535 Posts
I hope you find your dream dog but in response to your quite curt replies, you came here asking a question. we answered your question I'm sorry you don't like the answers.

·
Super Moderator
1,687 Posts
I think what people are saying is that while there are some good breeders of crossbreeds, you are more likely to find a good, responsible breeder of pedigrees. I am in no way a breed snob and I know the others aren't either, but the sad fact is that breeders of crosses are simply statistically less likely to carry out health and temperament tests, which is a fundamental factor in responsible breeding.

I'm not in the US so I don't know breeders, but to help you find one who is good the relevant health screening info is below.

The health tests for mini poodles are -

Hip scores well under 10.5
Progressive retinal atrophy
Von Willebrands Disease (vWD) type V1
Degenerative Myelopathy (DM)
Osteochondrodysplasia (OCD)
Mucopolysaccaridosis (MPS)
Chondrodysplasia

And for mini schnauzers

Hip score well under 9.8
Progressive Retinal Atrophy
Hereditary cataract
Multi-focal retinal dysplasia (litter screening)
Myotonia Congenita
Factor V11 Deficiency
Persistent Mullerian Duct Syndrome
Thrombopathia
von Willebrands Disease 1
Elliptocytosis
Spondylocostal Dysostosis
MAC

I hope that helps you narrow your search.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should be greatful for the replies and the advice. Have yet to see a reply to the question I posted. Apparently I have given the wrong impression. I did not ask what kind of dog I should get. I did not ask what kind of problems I would have with the mix I have chosen.
I did ask/say;
It's time for me to find a successor, can anyone give me good direction to find a : Black eyed/hair male Schnoodle that would be 17 to 25 ??
Thank you very much
SJCSR

·
Super Moderator
1,687 Posts
On the contrary, the information I posted ought to be helpful in selecting a schnoodle breeder. Look for one who does the tests, that would be a good yardstick by which to measure how good they are.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have searched. I have found some. I have not found the one I am comfortable with.
The search is difficult, the verifying will be also. Reviews and reading between the lines is only the beginning. I do a lot of research on anything I buy. Too much maybe on very important purchases. I'm not in a hurry. Thank You.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have searched. I have found some. I have not found the one I am comfortable with.
The search is difficult, the verifying will be also. Reviews and reading between the lines is only the beginning. I do a lot of research on anything I buy. Too much maybe on very important purchases. I'm not in a hurry. Thank You.
Always go by your gut if it dosnt feel right with a breeder

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think what people are saying is that while there are some good breeders of crossbreeds, you are more likely to find a good, responsible breeder of pedigrees. I am in no way a breed snob and I know the others aren't either, but the sad fact is that breeders of crosses are simply statistically less likely to carry out health and temperament tests, which is a fundamental factor in responsible breeding.

I'm not in the US so I don't know breeders, but to help you find one who is good the relevant health screening info is below.

The health tests for mini poodles are -

Hip scores well under 10.5
Progressive retinal atrophy
Von Willebrands Disease (vWD) type V1
Osteochondrodysplasia (OCD)
Mucopolysaccaridosis (MPS)
Chondrodysplasia

And for mini schnauzers

Hip score well under 9.8
Progressive Retinal Atrophy
Hereditary cataract
Multi-focal retinal dysplasia (litter screening)
Myotonia Congenita
Factor V11 Deficiency
Persistent Mullerian Duct Syndrome
Thrombopathia
von Willebrands Disease 1
Elliptocytosis
Spondylocostal Dysostosis
MAC

I hope that helps you narrow your search.
I do thank you and I have copied and will print so I can ask the selected breeder before entering into a contract or deposit. I will be requesting a vet contact to verify all that is said and promised. It will be my choice and I'll try to chose wisely, doing the best I can with what I have to work with!
Thank You Very Much !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really after all that has been said here I thank you all as this too helps the grieving process

1 - 17 of 17 Posts