Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this week I applied to adopt a GSD from a nearby rescue group. If I'm found to be a suitable adopter, I'm going to have an 80+ lb ball of craziness on my hands. He's about 1 1/2 so I can expect that for a while. :)

I've always been a dog enthusiast, however until recently I haven't been able to adopt. This will be my first dog and I'm quite nervous. I can only equate this to 1st time motherhood. I have so many questions and I want to make sure I don't do anything wrong.

Any advise you all have for me would be greatly appreciated. I plan on feeding him either Taste of Wild, Blue Buffalo, Canidae or Wellness, however I cant seem to narrow it down. I went and spoke to a local pet store owner and he advised me to get the Taste of the wild, So we will see.

I also want to make sure I dont get anything bad for him. I'm heard raw hide can be dangerous. And Kongs are good, however I know of a dog that has destroyed a kong in a single day (Lab/poodle mix).

OK... I need a break from researching and worring. Thanks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Congrats!!!

I find...that the longer the wait.. the more nervous you will get...I only freaked out about two of my dogs, and I had to wait to bring them home...too much time to think about the world exploding.

I've heard the rawhide horror stories too, and even pigs ears ones...my dog Emma got one stuck in her throat...thank god I was right there.

TOTW is good food, if you have access to it, get it!! I can't find it anywhere except 20+ miles away...so be happy you can get it. :)

Any other questions just ask ;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I give my dogs pig ears and rawhides ONLY when I am there. In their crate they get kongs or other tough toys. Congrats on your rescue btw :)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
CONGRATS!!!! Rescue dogs are the best-and GSD -wonderful pick!!!

I'd advise that you take the dog to a vet within the first month or so that you get him, to get a baseline checkup. (phone around, search the internet if you don't have one already)-it's important to find a vet you like who will take the time to talk to you.

The checkup is a nice meet and greet as well-it's is a good thing-because then the dog's first trip there is not when he needs shots or painful procedures-so they aren't phobic when you take them in the future, and you vet has an idea what your dog is like healthy-and knows when he's sick.

This exam also gives you the chance to discuss your concerns with the vet (i.e. on rawhides, food choice etc. etc.).

The next step-find an obediance school/teacher you like. I think all dogs should go through one round of basic obediance-even if they know commands and are good dogs-it's good for both of you, and you can get feedback on what your doing, what you should do and how you work together :)

Congrats again! You'll have to post pictures when you get him home!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh believe me. I will definitely post pictures if I get him.

And I do have a vet in mind. I took my kitten there and he was very good with her. Played and petted with her for 5 minutes before doing anything. She came home from the vets like nothing had even happened. :)

I'm also going to wait and see what food hes eating now. Unless hes eating a poor quality food, I may just stick with whatever he is eating, assuming I can find it here.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
You'll definitely want to bring some of his food home or buy a small bag of similar food, so that if you do change you can change over gradually :)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i don't think you are getting ahead of yourself at all. i would recommend getting some books and reading up on dog behavior and training. i just read two that i highly recommend...."the power of positive dog training" by patricia miller and " the other end of the leash" by patricia mcconnel. this should help you to organize your thoughts so that you aren't so nervous (i'm sure you'll be a great doggy mommy :)) you should also start looking into doggy resources in your area ie vets, parks, trails, daycare and boarding, pet stores, trainers and classes etc.
i just adopted my first rescue a few months ago. i was a wreck the first week or so, but you just have to remember to be consistent and patient, with your dog and yourself and you will be just fine! and remember we'll all be here if you have questions:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Oh congratulations on your rescue! What a wonderful thing for this new baby to find his forever home.

Read what the others have said very carefully. They're all quite knowledgeable and I pay close attention to them. :)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I forgot to say-we waited a month for Mikey (we were moving and drywalling) -I know the feeling-I was literally sick to my stomach wanting him so bad.

I couldn't even visit because he was six hours away at a shelter-so I just watched his videos on youtube day in and day out... :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The people say it takes about 3 weeks for the whole process. I don't have any videos (i wish i did). Just a picture. Which I should post i guess so you all know what a handsome boy he is. I had to give 4 references and my neighbor told me today that a lady from the rescue called him and they had a "pleasant conversation." But yes, the anticipation is crazy!!!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Awwww adorable!!! Three weeks :p Maybe if they get ahold of your references quickly that will speed things up! *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good luck with adding your new family member. I have adopted several dogs from different situation and I also foster dogs for rescue groups. Going through that application process can be stressful for potential adopters, but most groups have the welfare and happiness of the dogs as well as the people in mind. A good foster parent will help you decide if a dog is a good match for you. So, let it take the time, ask them lots of questions and listen to their advice since they know the dog best right now. Also, feed whatever the dog is eating before you get him, then change gradually after the stress of the new environment has passed if you want to feed something different. I agree with the advice to take him to the vet early - many rescues require it within a week or so, so it's good that you have a vet in mind already. I also agree with the idea of taking your newly adopted dog to obedience training classes as soon as possible. Training together really helps you bond and it makes the transition easier for both of you too. Best of luck and keep us posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts