Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I finally said enough is enough when it comes to safety in the car. I'm really impressed with Cookie learning to balance on the console, but we weren't being safe enough in the car.
So after looking at adorable doggie booster seats like the snoozer and seeing that is cost 100+ dollars I started making my own (even though I really wanted that snoozer!) I just have to keep telling myself that there's no sense in spending that much money on something that I can do myself. (it still looks really nice though maybe someday when I'm RICH)

my goals for the project include: to restrain the dogs so they will not be thrown in case of an accident or sudden brake. make the seat high enough that they can see out of the window. having a way to restrain the booster seat with the car's seat belt. have unused space underneath the booster seat to put extra things.

some pictures:
http://i.imgur.com/CpHZ5at.jpg
I used some pieces of a broken plastic drawers that I picked up from the curb.
I ended up using duct tape to secure the pieces that didn't regularly fit together.

http://i.imgur.com/es1YspL.jpg
used this extra bag strap to make leads to attach the dogs' harnesses to (remember to never secure your dog in the car using their collar, else they end up breaking their neck in an accident)

http://i.imgur.com/TSLlcuX.jpg
had this cute dog print fleece at home (honestly it is the cutest dog print I have ever found on a fabric, so cute)

http://i.imgur.com/ueVJWhH.jpg
finished product

http://i.imgur.com/d7ADzKF.jpg
the doggies

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you add padding along the posts? And where did you get the belting from shown in one of the photo's? I worry about my dogs being loose in the car when we go to the vet or groomers. They always get tossed about when I take a turn. I should probably put them in a carrier. But even that doesn't harness to the seatbelt, so it isn't exactly secure.

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
Nice job! How stable is it when fastened in the car with the seatbelt?

I have the Snoozer for Zody, I caught a sale on it and paid around $64 for the medium one on Amazon. The reason I like it is because the dog's car harness attaches to the cars seat belt rather then the booster seat. The sides on it are also higher then most car seats so there's less risk on him deciding to jump out and hang himself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you add padding along the posts? And where did you get the belting from shown in one of the photo's? I worry about my dogs being loose in the car when we go to the vet or groomers. They always get tossed about when I take a turn. I should probably put them in a carrier. But even that doesn't harness to the seatbelt, so it isn't exactly secure.
I thought about it, but I didn't bother to. The plastic that the post are made of is not very hard, and I just have the layer of fleece over it for now. However it would be so very easy to wrap foam or little towels around them to make them very padded.
(the way I made it, the doggy print fleece can be slipped right off, it's not attached, just stretched around the perimeter) and the pillow removed, so that it's just the plastic base left and I can clean it all easily.

The belting I think you see is the strap which came with a bag that I don't use. I used that to create two small leads with clips because I have two dogs.

I let them ride loose in the car for a long time but it would just be the worst if something ever were to happen.
There are a lot of alternative things you can do though.
If the harness clips together from the back. You can slip the seat belt through it before closing the harness. (make sure the seat belt is buckled)
I've done it before, and I think it's safe. My dogs are just really short so I made this so they could still see out while being secured. Before they would be sitting on the console, standing behind the front seats to get a view... not a safe place to be.

I might make a video showing how this project is made, showing how I can take the parts off.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice job! How stable is it when fastened in the car with the seatbelt?

I have the Snoozer for Zody, I caught a sale on it and paid around $64 for the medium one on Amazon. The reason I like it is because the dog's car harness attaches to the cars seat belt rather then the booster seat. The sides on it are also higher then most car seats so there's less risk on him deciding to jump out and hang himself.
aw! I'm jealous >.<
I want the large one really bad!
and yeah I noticed that when I was looking at a review of it. I like that too.

as for my homemade one. I think it could be better in my opinion (I can't say for sure because I have nothing to compare it to), but it's pretty good, we already used it multiple times and together my dogs are right under 20 lbs. at first I slipped one seat belt through it. but today I decided to move it to the middle because Cookie likes to be in the middle to see out the front. So I took each seat belt on either side and clipped each side like that.
There's also another way I could clip it in that I haven't tried yet that I might like even better.....

My tip to anyone making their own booster seat is to use whatever they have for the structure. I decided to use these plastic drawer pieces because it's what I had. But you could also use things like tubs, laundry basket, regular baskets, boxes. As long as you can fasten it in well, it could be anything.
if I had foam I would probably make my own snoozer, lol.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
MacGyver would be proud!

Nice job of recycling something and saving a ton of money in doing it yourself. It looks as nice as some of the seats I've seen advertised.

Stormy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.