Dog Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Every time Louise bit you, there was another dog involved. I agree that it's important for her NOT to be around other dogs at this time. This is a dangerous trigger for her that is only escalating. It is essential that dogs do not rehearse reactive behaviors. We want to prevent that from happening. Maybe later on you can do some behavior modification with other dogs at a instance. Wow, that bite looked pretty nasty. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
A note about some posters' advice that she be rehomed:

IMO, rehoming is NEVER an option for dogs that have demonstrated human aggression, especially those with a bite history. Any reputable rescue group will NOT adopt out a dog with a human bite history. It's irresponsible and a liability. Additionally, if you were to rehome her yourself without disclosing that history, that would be an enormous liability on your end.

This sounds like an awful situation. You seem to have put a lot of work into helping this dog. For some dogs, the wires in their heads are crossed and they can never be content. Living in stress, anxiety and fear is no way to leave. In some cases, humane euthanasia is the most caring thing you can do for a dog.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts

IMO, rehoming is NEVER an option for dogs that have demonstrated human aggression, especially those with a bite history. Any reputable rescue group will NOT adopt out a dog with a human bite history. It's irresponsible and a liability. Additionally, if you were to rehome her yourself without disclosing that history, that would be an enormous liability on your end.

This sounds like an awful situation. You seem to have put a lot of work into helping this dog. For some dogs, the wires in their heads are crossed and they can never be content. Living in stress, anxiety and fear is no way to leave. In some cases, humane euthanasia is the most caring thing you can do for a dog.

:confused::confused::confused:

What do you consider human aggression?

My dog in the past has growled, snarled, and snapped, at me because he is a RG dog. If something had happened to me and I could no longer have kept him he shouldn't have been rehomed, given to someone who was an experienced dog owner and had knowledge of how to work through resource guarding? He shouldn't have had a chance at a happy life with someone else? Just this year he threw such a fit at the vet that they had to muzzle him. He'd never did so before and he did it this last time because he had gone blind and was scared. Does that exclude him from being rehomed?

Is the San Fransisco SPCA a reputable rescue group? Around 6 or so years ago they got in a Rottie that bit one of their investigators, not once but twice, he pleaded that they rehabilitate the dog rather then put it down, They did so. If I remember correctly Best Friends Animal Sanctuary also rehabs dogs that have a bite history and rehome them.

Yes, some dogs are just crazy and cannot be rehabilitated, but most can be even if they have a bite history. I would not suggest just anybody try it, and I wouldn't suggest rehoming a dog with a bite history to just anyone or not disclosing that the dog has bit a human.

Reactions: pawzaddict

·
Registered
573 Posts
I agree that dogs can be worked with. It has been done successfully many times. However, there are nowhere near as many "experienced owners" looking for a project as there are dogs with a bite history.
I think you did exactly the right thing with your Shadow - keep the dog and assume responsibility.

I consider myself a fairly experienced dog owner, but I have no intentions to adopt a dog with a history of repeatedly biting and breaking skin of his/her owner. It's similar with dogs that are looking for a "farm or acreage home so he/she has space to run". Sure, some of those dogs find a new place, but then again most people with a farm are not just waiting to take on some out of control dog.
The homes for this many problem dogs just aren't there. Furthermore, many times the new owners aren't as "experienced" as they thought, and the dog gets passed on and on to the next person.
In an ideal world, yes, there would be the "right" home out there for every dog. But with perfectly good dogs dying everyday in shelters, I think it is irresponsible of a rescue to take on a dog and knowingly risk injury to humans. If all the unproblematic dogs were taken care of, then yes, I would consider taking on a challenge. But in a situation like it is, the last thing that's needed is someone trying to pass on their problem to an "experienced" owner.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8 Posts
Firstly I am really sorry you are in this situation, it is what all dog owners dread.
Everyone has different opinions of training/rehabilitation etc and you will only confuse yourself by trying to take on the opinion of lots of different people. At the end of the day you know the dog better than anyone else and I suspect in your heart of hearts you know if you can help or or not. It is not for us to tell you if we think you should euthanize her, you probably know this already. All I will say is that I have been volunteering at a kennels with a no kill policy to aggressive dogs and it has changed my opinion of this. A dog living in a kennel with no hope of being rehomed is no life at all and sometimes it is best to let them run free in the big park in the sky. It sounds like this is not your fault at all and you are trying to right the wrongs of her previous owner but sometimes the damage is too far gone. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts

If this dog was randomly attacking for no reason then YES I agree it is not safe to rehome...HOWEVER this dog is redirecting the frustration he has brought on by other animals in the home....THIS is not a liability to rehome....

My rescue group has taken in RG dogs, bite history dogs, etc and found them homes no problem...the liability comes down to being honest and up front with potential adopters, and give them sound advice on how to keep the dog from biting in the future.

This is the second time you have brought up human aggression and euthanasia...I hope you learn what human aggression is and redirecting is by reading through the behavior and training threads on this forum....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really can't give specific advice on what to do, I'm not there, I can not see what the dog is doing...

But I do suggest that if you really want to keep this dog you should educate yourself, learn about dog body language and calming signals

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Has this dog gotten to the vet for a thyroid test yet? I would hate to see an animal killed simply because of a medical issue that was never diagnosed, especially a simple one.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had Louise for three years now and I love her dearly. She came to me in an unusual way. My grandfather couldn't keep her and so he gave her to me and we have been thick as thieves since then.

Some background information: Louise is four years old and is a female Lhasa Apso. She is in perfect health (the right size and weight and she has never had a bad checkup).

It all started when her and another dog in my house began fighting on a regular basis. Their fights increased in severity and frequency until last October, when it reached a head. They were fighting and I tried to break it up and ended up with severe damage to my right forearm and left hand. I was too afraid to visit a doctor right away because I didn't want either dog to be in trouble, but the wounds got infected and I had to go to the hospital. Anyways, they have not had a fight since then, but my dog Louise has attacked me, drawing blood twice since that first time.

Now, my family has done everything we can think of. We paid a dog trainer to come to our home and try to figure out what was going on. We took her advice and Louise slept in a cage for a long time, but nothing cured her aggression towards other dogs, which seemed to be a catalyst for her attacks on me.

This most recent attack has taken a particularly hard toll on me because my parents have decided that she is too dangerous to have in their house. I also have feelings about this because moving out and having her with me would mean never being able to have children visit me or have children of my own. Or another dog. She is too unpredictable and could never be left unsupervised with anyone.

So here I am, down to two final solutions. My parents want me to put her down. This would devastate me, as I have loved this dog like a child since I got her. The other solution would be to send her away to an animal rescue, but I don't like that solution either because she has already been abandoned and she doesn't handle isolation very well.

I need advice and I need help. So please, tell me what your experiences have led you to believe. I am by no means pro- putting a healthy dog down, but I also believe that mental health of an animal is as important as physical health. The humane thing to do with a dog with incurable illness would be to put them down... I'm just lost and devastated. Either way, big changes are on the horizon and I'm only 23. Will my whole future rest in the paws of this dog who has two completely different personalities? She is so sweet and docile all the time, but she has a zone of madness.

Please no judgment. Just help. Thanks.
I too am in the same situation, just broke up a fight ( barely) but got bitten on my upper right thigh & not sure if I should go to doctor or not now it’s not as bad as yours tho

21 - 29 of 29 Posts