Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!
I'm new here
My problem is I have a new puppy for a month now (she is 3 months old)
We taught her to pee outside of the building when we walk her. The problem is now I bought her one of those potty pad for her to go inside the apartment when she is alone and no one can walk her outside, and she doesn't want to use it.
I've done everything I can imagine of, I used those drops to attract puppies to pee, I have brought the potty pad to our walks and tried her to make her pee there and nothing works. When she has accidents on the apartment. She keeps peeing anywhere else but the potty pad.
Please help! Next month my whole family is going on vacation and I'm staying on my own with her and I don't know what I'm gonna do when I will go to work. I'm out of ideas!
Thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ask a neighbour, friend or dog walker to come take her out while you're not home. She knows to go outside, it's probably very confusing to now show her that she can go inside again. Some dogs are never comfortable with pads, and it makes the whole process way more confusing.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Our dog never would use a pad, she always preferred going outside. Now if you put a pad down, she looks at you with that 'are you crazy, you don't really expect me to use that thing, do you?' look!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Once dogs identify an area as their "den" it can be impossible to get them to urinate or defecate in that area. This goes doubly so for apartment buildings where there is a large separation between the outdoor potty area and inside.

While young dogs are at risk of infections or other issues for the most part they are ok holding their pee. If you can get a dog walker that would be really beneficial.

I have one of the world's most stubborn dogs when it came to "admitting" she needed to pee. She would often go 24 hours because she didn't want to go outside in the dark during the winter, even if I had a flashlight. The vet said as long as I gave her the option and she ate/drank and wasn't in any distress to just let her be. I would never, ever advocate for someone to do this to a dog but what I do advocate for is clear-headed thinking when it comes to the bathroom habits of a dog. If the dog is holding it for 8 hours and is not in any distress, then let the dog be, rather than teaching it to do something that it finds distressing.

·
Super Moderator
3,750 Posts
I think your puppy is a bit too young to give her full access to your apartment while you're out. You could set up a small area with an open crate for her to go inside to sleep. Then set up a potty area. She may or may not use it, but she'll be more able to keep the area she sees as her den (the crate) clean.

I agree with the others that having someone stop in to give her a bathroom break during the day would be ideal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts