Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family today is insane. Bella went to the vet yesterday after becoming sick while I was away. I left on Sunday and found out when I came home on Thursday. My uncle lied to the vet. From what he told me she just needs to switch to higher quality meats and dog foods. Nothing about changing how much we feed her. That's why they have to have lied. The truth really would set me free in this case. I've been saying this for a year and no-one listens.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
If she's as big as I imagine she is then there would be no hiding that she's being over fed. Unfortunately many vets are very leery of telling their client that the dog needs to loose weight and that they are killing it by overfeeding it, so unless the owner asks then many won't say anything. My own vet has a weight poster up, it shows how a dog looks when it's skinny, to when it's fat, but he has yet to tell me my dog is slightly overweight unless I ask.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Continuing because I didn't have time to finish:

I can't walk or train or feed her because they don't agree with the way I do things. She gets no exersicse and although she's my dog I'm powerless. My mom won't take me seriously when I say I want to completley take over the care of my poor old girl. I really just want her to have a good life and be well cared for. :(:headshake::hammer::whip::headbash::bashself: :eyeroll: My family asks why I've been upset latley and I just say I'm tired but really it's because this has been like :provoke: to me for years now. Another reason I wish I could care for her is becuase I have anxitey and resposibilities that I can handle (Such as caring for my dog.) help. I've noticed a big diffrence in my own mood when I pet-sit for my aunt. (Expect for last time but that was under bad circumstances so of course I was going to be unhappy and upset from the death that cuased the need to watch the animals. Although I didn't know the person who died I know his widow and felt bad that I didn't know how to help. ). I hate myself for neing so usless to help my own pet. :bashself: :dog-frown::dog-cry::yell::headshake: What should I do?? And actually for how over-weight she is she's still pretty tiny so the vet wouldn't have known. My uncle lied and was completley dishonest with the vet. Either that or there's something he's not telling me.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Switching to a higher quality diet may not be a bad thing. For one, they are more expensive so it may affect how much your family is willing to pour out.

I'm sure you have, but have you told them that you think it would be good for your well being to take on some responsibility? It may change their viewpoint if they don't think you are implying they are doing something wrong, but just that you need something to do.

Also, is there something preventing you from exercising her?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are going out of their way to prevet her getting exersicse. Only my mom takes my anxitey seriouslyas being a real problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hmmm:/ that's rough! Have tried telling your mom that helping out with the doggy responsibilities helps with your anxiety? Maybe if your mom prevents you form taking long walks or runs, you can try to teach her some new tricks in the yard (which can exercise her) Tricks like weaving through cones (or you can set up other objects to act like poles or cones if you don't have any) another trick is to sit her down and teach her to run and jump through a hoop! Cool tricks are always fun for owner and dog! ;) wish ya luck!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
How are they going out of their way to prevent exercise? Is there someway you can trick them into exercising her? Like teaching new tricks using her food ration, throwing a ball down the stairs/hallway, flirt pole?

I know my mom was sort of sabotaging my dog's diet by feeding her when she begged or looked hungry. She's a lab mix, she always looks hungry lol :) i found fear helped my mom change her ways - basically I went over all the health issues my dog could get or make worse if she's heavy and the costs associated with those disease.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My grandpa and uncle have her trained that I'm always last as far as who she should go to if called for training vs. going outside to sit on the swing. They don't physically prevent me but they say things like "you should just give up, you'll never be able to do it." and since I have depression I always believe them. My mom doesn't like me going far from the house alone because I have almost no warning when I get an anxiety attack.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Im sorry your in this situation,

Maybe you could ask your mom if she'd go on walks with you and the dog? I think its awesome that even though you have some road blocks your still working hard to try and get your dog healthy and happy.
Perhaps if you haven't already tried it, you can try telling them that you want to take over her care for the experience. It will teach you responsibility and how properly care and work with a dog/it will prepare you for when you have your own.

Even just playing around outside can help her get some exercise and lose some weight. If possible you could try doing that. This might be one case were if offering to take over all responsibility isn't working, it might help trying to do it slowly. In the sense that you can start taking over small things then slowly build up to how much you do (if that makes sense).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts