Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued a dog from going to the shelter in Sacramento
his name is Bubba I've had him for 2 weeks he's my first ever dog so I'm confused and need some help about some of his behaviors and if I'm doing the right things.

He's a Lab Pit Mix.

-First of all I learned that my Wife is very allergic to him so, hitch 1 he doesn't stay inside with us as originally planned. we keep him outside. I live in an apartment so the backyard is only 10 by 20 feet.

-He does play with my kids about 1 - 2 hours a day. I jog him for 15 minutes in the morning and walk him for 30 minutes in the evening.

-I thought he was skinny but I'm not sure he looks healthy except you can see his ribs a little through his skin. I'll post a picture when my camera's working.

-He seems very fearful of loud noises and sudden noises, but he's very outgoing to go up to strangers to be petted. and will play with any and all dogs. although when a fight breaks out in the dog park he runs and hides.

-He doesn't take treats like pupperoni I bought from the store. and he won't play with toys, the few that I've tried. he doesn't chase after any toys and he'll only eat dry food if its mixed with wet.

-He's never barked once which is odd. he's never showed aggression to anyone not a growl or anything even at my 3 year old who can test anyone. Ears are almost always back but tail is never tucked under unless he's really scared.

Any insight on what he needs would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm assuming you have taken your dog to the vet for a full examination. You would always want to be sure he is healthy. I'm not sure of the age of your dog, but are you able to get some history from the owners before as to the dog's nature, habits...etc.

I can relate to some extent as my dog has some confidence issues where she is frightented by loud noises, cars driving by and other surprised sounds. I have learned that the best thing you can do when she is fearful is to stay calm and don't react. I used to cradle her when she was frightened by a loud noise and I learned that this was only reinforcing her fears. Now, I simply ignore the sounds and her. She will look at me for a reaction and now when I just go about my normal activity...she seems to be much less bothered by it.

There are many good training locations around and I think they are great alone even just to help with socialilzation with other dogs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
ok - you have had your dog for 2 weeks. I rescued a 2 year old Boxer from the local pound and I would have to say that it took him nearly 6 months to settle in. So I would suggest you give him time and believe me you will hear him bark eventually.

·
Registered
20 Posts
He's a Lab Pit Mix.

-First of all I learned that my Wife is very allergic to him so, hitch 1 he doesn't stay inside with us as originally planned. we keep him outside. I live in an apartment so the backyard is only 10 by 20 feet.

-He does play with my kids about 1 - 2 hours a day. I jog him for 15 minutes in the morning and walk him for 30 minutes in the evening.

Aside from this does he get any stimulation? Are you spending any other time with him? He needs to be interacted with often. I would also start teaching him obedience and tricks for stimulation. Have you bought him anything to chew on? Lab/ bull dogs love to chew chew chew. Make sure his teeth are healthy and buy him chew toys and chew bones, in my experience they like the flavored bones the best.

-I thought he was skinny but I'm not sure he looks healthy except you can see his ribs a little through his skin. I'll post a picture when my camera's working.

First you need to get him to a vet and have him looked over from head to toe. He most likely needs shots and to be wormed, tested for heartworms, infections, etc. Dont forget to ck to make sure his teeth are also healthy. This may be one of the reasons he wants his food softened up. Once that is done you want to get him on heartworm prevention if he is heartworm negative, then when he is healthy and at a good weight you may want to consider neutering him if he's not already. Neuturing is good for him for so many reasons.

-He seems very fearful of loud noises and sudden noises, but he's very outgoing to go up to strangers to be petted. and will play with any and all dogs. although when a fight breaks out in the dog park he runs and hides.

This can be attributed to either lack of socialization and desensitising or something traumatic that happened to him or he may just be nervous to his new surroundings.

-He doesn't take treats like pupperoni I bought from the store. and he won't play with toys, the few that I've tried. he doesn't chase after any toys and he'll only eat dry food if its mixed with wet.

He may never have had toys therefor does not know what to do with them..with the right care and attention he will eventually come out of his shell.

-He's never barked once which is odd. he's never showed aggression to anyone not a growl or anything even at my 3 year old who can test anyone. Ears are almost always back but tail is never tucked under unless he's really scared.

Depending on what you know about his previous situation, he may have been Debarked, or in other words had his Voice box removed.
Other than that it may just be an aclimating issue. We rescued and fostered a beagle last year and it took a while before we ever heard him bark.

Any insight on what he needs would be greatly appreciated

Do you know what age he is or anything about his previous situation?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.