Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kitten has been hissing at my schipperke and now she's scared of him, he's also been hissing at my mixed breed, my schipperke wants to play but my mix dosen't and just wants to sniff him, so he's warmed up to my mix. My schipperke hasn't had an animal playmate in awhile so she wanted to play with him, he comes from a farm where there was an Australian Cattle Dog x Bc and that dog tried herding him. He's hissed at that dog and he now thinks my schip wants to herd him. Any ideas on how to fix this? You can ask questions.

·
Administrator
1,747 Posts
My kitten has been hissing at my schipperke and now she's scared of him, he's also been hissing at my mixed breed, my schipperke wants to play but my mix dosen't and just wants to sniff him, so he's warmed up to my mix. My schipperke hasn't had an animal playmate in awhile so she wanted to play with him, he comes from a farm where there was an Australian Cattle Dog x Bc and that dog tried herding him. He's hissed at that dog and he now thinks my schip wants to herd him. Any ideas on how to fix this? You can ask questions.
Hi.

How old is the kitten, how long have you had him, and do the dogs have free access to him?

I know some consider it rude to answer a question with a question, but we need those answers in order to help you.

I’m in a similar position, but my dogs don’t yet have free access to the kitten, and intros are kept short and sweet.

Your female dog might want to play, but she will have to learn that playing with a kitten isn’t the same as playing with another.

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi.

How old is the kitten, how long have you had him, and do the dogs have free access to him?

I know some consider it rude to answer a question with a question, but we need those answers in order to help you.

I’m in a similar position, but my dogs don’t yet have free access to the kitten, and intros are kept short and sweet.

Your female dog might want to play, but she will have to learn that playing with a kitten isn’t the same as playing with another.
The kitten is 7 weeks, (I know that thats too young yet, I tried to tell my mom) I've had him for 5 days, (6 if you count the day I got him) and yes, but my schipperke is in a kennel when we're not home.

·
Administrator
1,747 Posts
I think that could be the problem. You’re going too fast.

I’ve just got my own kitten yesterday and also have two dogs. I’m keeping my pets separated for now and doing supervised introductions - and keeping them short and sweet. Initially, I listened to my kitten when he hissed and removed the dog.

Now we’re up to meeting through a stair gate, with my dogs on one side, Kaylus the kitten on the other, and me on Kaylus’s side of the gate. When he hissed this time, I watched his body language. His body language was confident, tail up, and curiosity got the better of him. He was happy to play despite the dogs being there.

I also watched the dogs’ body language. My chihuahua is the calm one, plonked her butt down at the side of the gate, and just watched, and sniffed a bit. My lurcher is the playful one. A little grumble, and I closed the door. Kitten nonplussed, went on playing. I paused there to get the girls their kongs, while I continued playing with Kaylus. A few minutes later, he was beside me on the couch, falling asleep. I placed Kaylus in his enclosure (he’s already tried wire chewing as a pastime, so he has an indoor catio for when I can’t be there to supervise).

Right now, I’m on one side of my divided living room with the dogs, while Kaylus is asleep in his enclosure. Milly’s looking fed up and wants to see her “brother”, but the answer is “no”. When Kaylus wakes up, the girls will be put in the bedroom and Kaylus will be allowed out to explore and play with me before bedtime.

If it were me, especially with such a young kitten, I’d separate the kitten and the dogs and start again with supervised introductions.
Blue Cross - introducing cats to dogs

Reactions: JoanneF
1 - 4 of 4 Posts