Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( My cat Sylvester , I feel he is stressed at home and I feel awful for even considering it. It has been happening for over 10 months now, and I have tried everything.
He has been given the all clear by my vet, so I can rule out anything medical/illness related.
He has 3 litter trays all around the house, but will urinate on my bed. Sometimes while I am in it!
Its behaviour related and I feel like a failed mum.
I have tried to find out what is stressing him but I just have no idea. there are several scratch posts around the house too, he has run of the house, LOVES the dogs.

Thanks for reading, I just needed to vent.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Were there any changes around the home when it started? Have you tried different litter? Have you moved? Brought in a new pet? Have cats roaming outside the house?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No new changes what so ever, otherwise I would totally understand. For a while I thought he didn't like men, but he has know my husband for 4of the 5 years he's been with us.
And it only started 10 months ago. we have been in the same house, there have always been cats outside.
Litter has never changed. If anything I have added more litter trays to the house, and for a brief time that seemed to help, but now he still does it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
That is odd, something happened to cause it. Something you didn't see or didn't realize. Have you tried those pheromone plug ins, or some rescue remedy? If he is anxious it may help.

Just a though, you say it's only your bed. Have you used new laundry soap?

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Ugh! That sucks! Not fun.
A cat that doesn't use litterboxes reliably is going to be very difficult to rehome.

How often do the boxes get cleaned?

Are the boxes covered?

Are they big enough (at least 1 1/2 his length)?

Declawed?

Have you tried softer/different litter? Cat attract?

Are you completely sure it's not medical? The only time my cay has done anything like this was right before an urinary blockage. I know he's been to the vet, but has he been recently checked for a uti or anything else that could be a factor?

Have you gone back to litterbox training basics as if he was a kitten?

If you feel he is anxious, what about meds?

What happens if he no longer has access to your bedroom and bed? Any accidents elsewhere?

If willing to give it a bit more time, Pam Johnson-Bennet has some litterbox issue info up on her website. I'm sure I actually saw a peeing in bed post last time I was there, though didn't read it.Iirc she also has a book out on litterbox issues.

·
Registered
911 Posts
All great points, kems.

It's possible that your cat was cornered in the litter box. Do you have other cats or just the one and the dogs? I've had trouble with covered boxes because sometimes, even out of play a cat would get cornered in a box. Either by a cat or dog. Then they didn't feel safe and wouldn't go into the box. I have both covered and uncovered boxes now and and no issues. But part of my problem was a very bitchy cat, she pasted a couple of years ago and it's calmed down. Though my youngest boy still causes problems when he's ticked about something. But the litter box issue is gone now.

Reactions: Artdog

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is odd, something happened to cause it. Something you didn't see or didn't realize. Have you tried those pheromone plug ins, or some rescue remedy? If he is anxious it may help.

Just a though, you say it's only your bed. Have you used new laundry soap?
Yes, I have one going at the moment have had the Pheremone plug in for quite some time.

Laundry soap has not changed either.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ugh! That sucks! Not fun.
A cat that doesn't use litterboxes reliably is going to be very difficult to rehome.
Yeah I know , I don't want to and I am asking some friends rather than a stranger.
How often do the boxes get cleaned?
3 times a week.
Are the boxes covered?
Yes all are, hes been using the same boxes since he was 9 months old. (when I first got him)
Are they big enough (at least 1 1/2 his length)?
Yes
Declawed?
No he is not , I would not do that
Have you tried softer/different litter? Cat attract?
He only likes the paper littler
Are you completely sure it's not medical? The only time my cay has done anything like this was right before an urinary blockage. I know he's been to the vet, but has he been recently checked for a uti or anything else that could be a factor?
Yes , he has seen a vet last week coz I too thought have another check up just in case, but hes all good. (which is good, but I wish I had something to say 'oh that will do it)
Have you gone back to litterbox training basics as if he was a kitten?
No, only coz I know he has no issue with using a tray, He is inddor, I have even tried letting him out, on supervised walks around the yard, he wont use the garden for toileting only his litter (and my bed)
If you feel he is anxious, what about meds?
My vet does not want to put him on meds yet but we may go there
What happens if he no longer has access to your bedroom and bed? Any accidents elsewhere?
I close my door off now, he hasn't yet.
If willing to give it a bit more time, Pam Johnson-Bennet has some litterbox issue info up on her website. I'm sure I actually saw a peeing in bed post last time I was there, though didn't read it.Iirc she also has a book out on litterbox issues.
I want to give him all the time im in no rush to rehome him , im just at a loss.

My answers are in blue .

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All great points, kems.

It's possible that your cat was cornered in the litter box. Do you have other cats or just the one and the dogs? I've had trouble with covered boxes because sometimes, even out of play a cat would get cornered in a box. Either by a cat or dog. Then they didn't feel safe and wouldn't go into the box. I have both covered and uncovered boxes now and and no issues. But part of my problem was a very bitchy cat, she pasted a couple of years ago and it's calmed down. Though my youngest boy still causes problems when he's ticked about something. But the litter box issue is gone now.
I do have one other cat by they came to at the same time so they have grown up with each other.
I don't think so. Dogs are outside during the day, cats have the house to roam.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Silly question, but can you think of any reason he may be upset with you?

We used to have a pure bluepoint Siamese years ago, I think back now and laugh about it. We learned not to anger the cat. He was mostly an outdoor cat, didn't like being barred inside otherwise he would yowl at the door as only a Siamese can.

Mom started a battle royale with this cat, she shooed him out of the house one day with a broom. He left a dead bird on her bed that evening. Mom was crazy at the cat, so, he peed on her bed... It was a crazy back and forth for a week, peeing, dead animals, but lets just say the cat won. I know it's not to the extreme as I'm describing but... Cats can be weird.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I don't think so we have our morning routine cuddles (every morning) he follows me everywhere.

Oh goodness!

·
Registered
495 Posts
So, I hate to say this, but it may just be box tidiness, especially as you have two cats.

One of my cats was always very finicky about how clean the litterboxes were. As she got older, it got significantly worse. Even though you have three boxes, you'll want to do cleaning daily (especially since the "required" number of boxes is the number of cats plus one--so you're right at the bare minimum). I also had to switch one box to a decent sized tote rather than a regular litterbox size. She much preferred having lots of room to do her business. In addition, where he has peed will need super-duper treatment with an enzyme cleaner, because even with clean litterboxes, an absorbent place that smells like urine will be very, very, very tempting to him.

I know how frustrating it can be, but it does sound like this is a litterbox issue more than anything. I really, really hate saying this, so please don't take it as a judgement on you or anything. It's just that cats are super finicky, and mine got worse as they got older. I dealt with a lot of pee problems myself. <3 Daily box cleaning is a necessity, unfortunately.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I thought so too, and they are now cleaned daily, but he has tried to pee on the bed again this morning while I was still in bed.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yeah I thought so too, and they are now cleaned daily, but he has tried to pee on the bed again this morning while I was still in bed.
Yeah, if it smells like pee at all, he's going to want to go there. And mattresses especially are very difficult to get very clean. Even if you douse them in enzyme cleaner, there's just so much fabric that it's hard to get clean. You might need to keep him out of the bedroom. :(

Is he peeing anywhere else out of the litterbox or just the bed?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thankfully it has not ever gone through to the matress. And I have bought all new bedding everytime he peed so there is no smell there.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Could your smell have changed? Maybe your pharamones/hormones are bothering him?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well maybe now im pregnant, but this has been happening well before I became pregnant over 10 months ago now.
It started with him doing a poo in my husbands shorts, that were on the floor.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Oh man, so that's not it...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.