Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of dog walks and visits to the dog park and she loves car rides. Snowflake is a bodywager. She wags her whole body rather than just her tail. She is the biggest bodywager I have ever seen in my life!! LOL, I love bodywagers!
I have had to give up Snowflake because of potty issues. I get sick so easy with my kidney problems that I just can't have poo and pee everywhere and it was upsetting to KM that her dog could not play with her or be apart of her unless outside because she had to be crated as long as she was inside. Then, she figured out how to unzip her vinal crate and things brcame even harder. I had no choice as this was causing way to many disagreements to say it mildly and and upsetting the household all together. I found the nicest people, or rather, they found me through craigslist. This guy got ahold of me that was very soft spoken and seemed to understand the situation without judgement. In the animal world, this is rare.He brought his wife to meet our Snowflake and she was just as kind spoken as her husband was. I had to meet them at wal-mart because as much as its been hard to deal with Snowflake's potty issues, we had all became attatched and so saying good bye was more than what my household was ready for, esspeshally for my 5 yr old KM who worked so hard showing us that she was ready for a dog of her own. This dog that she picked out, this dog that she named, this dog that she loved so so so much, this dog. This dog... I told Snowflake what was happening on the way to meet this couple.I promised her that if I had any doubts that they would be good to her that I would turn them away, I'm sure making them mad but that I would not let her go to someone who would not be good to her. Its like she knew what I was saying and she cuddeled in my arms as I drove. She began to look a little sad the way she did when we saw her in the pound. My heart was ripping for my daughter and now even more for Snowflake. I almost turned back and did a no show. But I'm not like that. When we got to the parking lot, I had to just hit the gas and get to the truck that must be theirs as fast as I could in order to not turn around still. When I got out, the couple came to us and Snowflake was not the same dog that I had come to know, she was not acting happy or ready to be friends. She hung her head a little and was very shy, I could almost hear her saying, you stabed me in the back, I trusted you and I don't know these people. So I spoke to them for a while and I have to say that the more I spoke to them, the more confadent I was that not only were these good people but they may be better for Snowflake then we were. Feeling confadent in these folkes but not wanting to walk away, I decided that I had kept them long enouph and I said good bye and got in the car and rushed off so that I couldn't see her go. I went home that night feeling good that Snowflake was placed well but feeling guilty for my daughter and her first dog. She screamed and told me how much she hated me and we all cried buckets and buckets of tears. I was compelled to make this right, after all, she deserved her forever friend to bond with just as much as my daughter, Jody and I had ours. So I devoted every second I had on this. I have kept in touch with Snowflake's new people and she is again a happy little puppy. She has many friends both furry and none where she is now. They have said that they would become apart of this community to let us all know how she is doing and to put up new pics. So you should all meet them soon I'm sure. The couple had looked for me as they knew we really needed to come up with a new dog that would be potty trained. They gave me a number that was in their area (1hour and 20 min away) that they found on craigslist. I called this number. Today 9-30-09 I went to get this little poodle mix with husband and KM in tow. We saw this little dog and listened to her story. She was found by the lady's granddaughter and all the kids in the area decided to form a club and help feed this little skinny dog full of matts and fleas. The mom found them and brought the dog in. They bathed her and shaved her and fed her and loved her. But they were not able to keep her as much as they really wanted to. So she took the dog to her moms house where she was allready at her leagle limit on dogs and too wanted to keep her but dare not. So, she was on craigslist too, just like little Snowflake was. Scared to death that somethen could go wrong like with Snowflake, wanting so bad to heal my daughters hurt hart and to never have to go through that again, I was feeling sick all the way home wondering if it would all be okay. The little white dog has made it clear to Feora by now that she wants nothing to do with her and I had to gently correct that behavior. then she closed up into herself and curled up on the floor behind the drivers seat and went to sleep. Not seeming at all happy to be with us and not really understanding whats going on, perhaps feeling the same that Snowflake did just the other day. Then an amazing thing happened. When we pulled up infront of our place, the little dog that KM has now named Savanah jumped up and suddenly got very exited and was looking around any window she could see out of as if to say, Oh, This must be home!! She was very happy to go see what awaited her and then glued herself to KM as if this was the only person she had ever had in her life. She was by her side every minute and would be almost frantic if she couldn't see her. Even if she could see her but couldn't be near her, she acted the same way. So KM spent a lot of time with her. My doubts started to fade away as I could see that little Savanah needed KM just as much as KM needed Savanah. 2 harts need so much healing and they are going to begin healing together. Now I can say, after a lot of tears and doubting myself as a mother, a wife and a good dog owner, that I really think I did the right thing. Oh, it still hurts, but doing the right thing hurts sometimes. Snowflake is in good hands where where she will get the proper potty help and KM has a friend that feels that she is everything in the world (oh, Savanah has shown a few things that will need to be worked on, but this is stuff I have worked with before and can be licked again) I feel better in doing the things I had to do to make things better. Snowflakes new people have agreed to meet again and we can visit her and I also kept in touch with the lady I got Savanah from and she also agrees to meet again to see how Savanah is and would also like to come to this community when I post pics of her. So, maybe you all will meet her too one of these days. In the end I think that we may have made some forever friends of the human kind as well.
Please don't be judgemental over what had happened. I did the best I could and when my best wasn't good enouph, I found someone who could do better, when someone else couldn't help anymore where they started, I steped in to help the rest of the way. The things we do aren't allways perfect but thats what we get for living in an unperfect world. All we can do is put our best foot forward and hope it all comes together in the end.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I think you recognized it wasn't going to work and you made the best decision you could with that info.

We also rehomed a dog that was not a fit for us..she had issues we could not cope with at the time, we also didn't wait long to adopt again either (Emma is the replacement dog) I think only a few days. And Emma is a saint...she owes her life to the rehomed dog. As your new little one owes Snowflake. ;)

So I completely understand wanting a dog and knowing the one you have just isn't going to work. I know a lot of people advocate making it work But I think there is also an element of knowing when you are over your head and doing what is best for the dog and yourself. There are sooo many dogs out there to rescue it makes sence to stick with a dog that fits...for your own sanity.

Can't wait to here about your new one...hope it gives you less headache.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
No one is here to judge you!!! *HUGS*

Your story just teared me up :( I'm sorry you had to rehome her-but I think you did the right thing. In fact-I don't think there was a better thing you could have done. *HUGS*

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I have been feeling just awful about it all and thought you guys might think I didn't really try. Thank you for understanding.

·
Registered
620 Posts
((((Stef)))) I think you did the right thing. I can't potty train. I'm a total failure at it. All my babies have to come pre trained.

I'm so glad you spent so much time making sure Snowflake got a good home. And how wonderful that Savannah is working out so very well.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i think you did the right thing...even though it hurts, having a dog in your life is supposed to be a joy for you and your dog. you cannot make all situations work, no matter how hard you try or how much you stress out about it. obviously, finding a new home for snowflake hurt you. imo that's good, you hurt bc you care, you didn't just "get rid" of her, you found her a new home, that will hopefully be a better match for her too......it was a tough decision to make, and you were very brave for doing so...;)

sending good vibes your way....:)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
94 Posts
Steph, no one here is going to judge you. It takes a lot to work with a dog with issues and an even bigger person sometimes to admit that certain dogs just are not for you. It was an easy decision to make, but I think you made a decision that was right for you and your family, no one can ask for more than that.

My husband and I have gone back and forth on keeping Neco for awhile now. He's been with us since April, we took him from my husband's friend who was going to put him down just because he couldn't handle him. He's a great dog but he does definitely have issues and is hard to handle and although he is getting better I still wonder sometimes if this is the right place for him. It's not an easy decision to make.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! Savanna has really been working out better and am really happy that I did do this because its just easier on all of us.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Really don't feel bad Stef, I'm sure many of us had dealt with issues that we felt were larger than we can handle. Last year I had to rehome a dog because she was very aggressive towards the kids and actually bit my daughter. I bonded with him in the week that we had him but I wasn't going to put my family in jeopardy. I know have two wonderful dogs who fit our lives perfectly. I know he went to an amazing home with no kids running around bugging him.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I havn't taken any yet, soon though. Right now I depend on bassetlady80 to get my pics taken and up as my home computer is down. Soon though, I promis :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts