Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance and I are the proud owners of two wonderful beagles. One is a beagle jack russell, Nugget, who is 8 years old and the other is a beagle weimaraner mix, Roo, who is now 8 months old. About a year ago (almost a year exactly) we lost our lab-rott to Lymphoma. It was a very quick battle, since she showed symptoms in August and we lost her in September.
Now, my littlest, the 8 month old has fallen ill. She was a rescue- that had great health problems at first. She's had a serious bought with worms (before we got her) and a month after we brought her home had a case of non-contagious mange. The mange had cleared up, but she managed to keep a small eye infection (I think due to the itching). About two weeks ago she suddenly (literally overnight) fell extremely ill. She was fine in the morning (her usual hyperactive self) but when I got home she was EXTREMELY lethargic, barely moving and had a fever of 104.8 (F). Her lymph node on her lower neck and chest area were slightly swollen. We took her to our vet (a substitute due to our vet being on vacation). He gave her an injected antibiotic as well as Terramycin (for the eye) and Cephalexin (Orange tutti-fruiti stuff). Over the weekend her temperature went down to normal 100.8 and her swelling went down. She was also back to her normal hyper self. The meds have been administered as directed, however just a few days after she showed signs of recovery- her lymphnodes in her neck began to swell again. This is exactly one week after her doctor visit. Now that are extremely enlarged (majority on the right side) and sort of hardened. As much as I hate to compare this to our last dogs case, the symptoms are quite similar.... how can this be??? She is still playful but I can tell that she is discomforted by the swelling. Could this be another case of the "horrible C"? It was a "rare" case that our last dog passed away due to lymphoma, being that she was only 5 years old, so can it be that our 8 month old has this??? The vet initially told us that she is fighting a bacteria infection-- could she still be just fighting it off?? I've also wondered about "Puppy Strangles"-- but she's not swollen on her face it's just her neck area. I will be taking her again to the vet tomorrow, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any insight on what could be going wrong with my little girl. She's been coughing quite a bit today and sounds a bit congested (this wasn't anything my other doggie did-- I know that coughing/congestion isn't good-- but I am a little happy to hear that b/c it's more signs it may be a respiratory infection right?? *fingers crossed*
My other beagle, the 8 year old, is in perfect health (not perfect shape) but seems absolutely normal.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Hi, sorry your going through this

Your pup is too old to have strangles.

When she had the Demo mange was it all over? Or just a couple spots?

If it was all over (generalized) they ussually have an imune system defect. So its possible your pup has trouble fighing off infections.

Also I would have a blood test done to rule out distemper. Your pups body is trying to fight off som'thing that antibiotics aren't touching...that means virus or cancer etc etc. OR its a virulent bacteria that is immune to the antibiotics.

Thats my thoughts...hope that helps.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The demo mange was all over. When we took her to the vet for the first visit he said that he doubted it was distemper due to the fact that she had her vaccine in May. The antibiotics did seem to help some-- so I'm still praying that it's an infection (I'm praying that it's not Cancer-- and that it be something we can help her fight off)

What's surprises me is that her coat is healthier than it's ever been.
None of her other lymph nodes are swollen-- which was apparent in our pup, Zee, who passed away.

Thanks so much for your input, it is truly appreciated.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
The demo mange was all over. When we took her to the vet for the first visit he said that he doubted it was distemper due to the fact that she had her vaccine in May. The antibiotics did seem to help some-- so I'm still praying that it's an infection (I'm praying that it's not Cancer-- and that it be something we can help her fight off)

What's surprises me is that her coat is healthier than it's ever been.
None of her other lymph nodes are swollen-- which was apparent in our pup, Zee, who passed away.

Thanks so much for your input, it is truly appreciated.

Chili had generallized demo and I found that the infections took way longer to get rid of then the mites...he was on the same antibiotic your is for at least 2 months straight.

So hopefully you just need more time.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chili had generallized demo and I found that the infections took way longer to get rid of then the mites...he was on the same antibiotic your is for at least 2 months straight.

So hopefully you just need more time.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and hope. :rockon:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts