Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ru is 2 years old and 40 pounds. We've heard many guesses as to what breeds she might be mixed with, including australian shepherd, cattle dog, pit bull, boxer, plott hound, mountain cur, basenji, catahoula leopard, and more. I think there's no doubt she has some herding dog, as she tends to "herd" other dogs and is extremely intelligent, but I know nothing beyond that.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Of course I am going to say a brindle catahoula!!! I dog sat one for several weeks and my family has two blk/white females! Look at the ears, check to see if his feet are webbed ALL the way to the edge of his toes.

Here is a pic of a brindle houla, fantastic dogs!!!!

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Oh, and wikipedia has some good info on them; Socialize, socialize, esp with children, they tend to resource guard your home and family a tad, lol.

You will find out that you will need to start spelling words all the time as she will catch on to what you are saying, sigh. Our Chloe knows 60 words...oh...and NEVER say the word squirrel! Esp in the car with the windows down!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course I am going to say a brindle catahoula!!! I dog sat one for several weeks and my family has two blk/white females! Look at the ears, check to see if his feet are webbed ALL the way to the edge of his toes.
Aww, thanks! I thought brindle catahoula were pretty unusual, which is why I thought even a plott hound or mountain cur more likely (both are related to the catahoula, I believe, but are typically brindle). She does have webbed paws, but nothing I would consider to be extraordinarily long. She's also not much of a talker, other than a lot of whining, and I was under the impressions most hounds talk a lot. She can be a little protective, but usually warms right up when I reassure her someone is allowed into our "territory."

Things that she has that do line-up with typical catahoula personalities: she's pretty independent of people, other than ones she knows well; although she loves other dogs, she's very talkative and rough when playing with them; she likes exercise, but isn't particularly high energy; extremely smart (we're currently working towards on good canine certificate).

Anyways, good food for thought! It's interesting to talk to a catahoula owner who thinks she may be partly of that breed :)

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
I know, I had never seen a brindle houla either, but it only took me two days in the company of what the owner "thought" was a plott hound...to have it sink in...he was a houla that I was dog sitting, lol. They had rescued from Tennessee...
Blue eyes that were just gorgeous. And of course the houla had me wrapped around his paws in two minutes...never left my side, and not bec. he was insecure...we just fell into extreme "like" with each other! The owners were a little dismayed that Mojo kind of walked back to me and sat down when they came to pick him up to go home. Hung his head. Yipes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I personally don't see any Lab,

Where in the US are you?
Catahoula are more common in the south, so are Feists.

I see Feist/Boxer. Maybe, even some Italian Greyhound.
I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, but she was adopted from further out in the valley where it's more rural. We've thought she might have some whippet, since she has a very thin build with a big chest and ears that pin back, plus she's very fast. I was under the impression that that was a pretty expensive breed, though, so I have a hard time imagining a mutt showing up in a high-kill shelter.

I haven't heard of a feist before! I just did some quick research and the personality definitely sounds a bit like her.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
She reminds me of a hollandse herder (dutch shepherd dog). even the weight would be kinda okay for a female dog...relatively light though. How is her height?
She also made me think of the bardino (a spanish shepherd dog) but for that she would a bit too light, I suppose... the females start with 25 kg...40 pounds would be around 20 kg if I'm right. Also, I don't think this breed is that common in the US since it is relatively new and still not completely accepted in the fci.

Probably she's some kind of sighthound mixed with some kind of sheperd dog mixed with a heart of gold. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.