Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued a Mountain Feist, Bentley, nearly six years ago. I did a great job of socializing him as a pup. We went to the dog park all the time and he was great with other dogs. As life grew busier and we relocated after college, finding time for dog park becaem a little more difficult. About two years ago we were at my in-laws going potty in the front yard (unleashed) and two big German Shepherds walk by. Bentley tears off barking and sprinting towards them. They didn't take too kindly to this and basically just scared the life out of him. Since then, he's not been the same around any dogs that aren't significantly smaller than him. He's the sweetest dog around humans (as are most dogs) and never shows any aggression towards them. He has a fenced yard, gets plenty of exercise, and a couple of small-dog friends.

Fast forward to early this year (2016). We were presented with the opportunity to adopt another (slightly taller) 2yr old Mountain Feist, Knox. I realize this probably wasn't the smartest decision, but he was on the kill list for the end of this week. Knox is a sweet dog that shows almost no signs of domestication. He doesn't even know his own name.

Since bringing Knox home, Bentley has been very jealous. I've walked them together and they do great. But any time I pet Knox, Bentley "needs" attention as well. He'll sniff Knox (per usual) and then he makes his way to Knox's face. This is when things go awry. Bentley, tenses up and sometimes snaps/tries to fight (if I can't diffuse the situation before escalation). Knox takes it like a champ. He could tear Bentley's face off if he wanted to, but he hasn't even snapped back.

I have taken up all toys, feed them in different locations, give them equal attention. I'm trying to avoid any potential points of conflict.

1) Is there anything I can do to help Bentley become more comfortable with Knox around?

2) As stated above, Knox doesn't have any signs of domestication. He doesn't know his name, he's not housebroken, doesn't know how to walk on a lease (pulls like he's on the hunt), and basically everything else you can think of. I've trained puppies before and it's much easier because that haven't established any routines. But, with a 2yr old, I'm not so sure. Especially if Knox is shown any attention, Bentley wigs out. How do I teach this "old(er)" dog new tricks? My number onne priority is marking/urinating in our new house.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks for reading and for the help!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Hm, getting Bently to get along with Knox might be a challenge but try to make it a positive experience. Have them together and when you pet Knox give Bently a treat. Try this several times in a row, and you probably have to give Knox a few too! However only do this if both dogs don't fight over food. It would actually be better if you had someone else with you and you could pet Knox and they treat Bently from a few feet away.

For the leash pulling get a no pull harness or head halter for Knox. Walking the two dogs together (With separate handlers) can also facilitate bonding. In terms of housebreaking just treat him as though he were a little puppy, rewarding him when he goes outside and limiting his reign in the house, using a crate and/or gate. For his name that's easy. He's a dog and doesn't know that the sound 'Knox' is his name, especially if you just named him. Try several sessions and saying his name and then giving a treat when he looks at you. Call his name before mealtimes and any other fun things as well. He'll pick it up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately at this point, Bentley gets snippy over most things. This morning my wife was giving Bentley attention while I was getting Knox out of his kennel. Bentley was losing his mind, whining and barking.

I'll definitely get a no-pull harness. Do you think that this behavior could be partially due to a rank issue? Once it's established that I am the "alpha" amongst the three of us, couldn't some of these issues be resolved?

Yeah, I have to watch Knox like a hawk. Because he's already exploring (only downstairs because he wont go up stairs) because it's a new environment. I've caught him a couple of times before the act and let him know that's not acceptable verbally (either with an assertive but calm "No" or a quick "Ah!").

I'll keep on with the treat when he looks at me.

Thanks, again, for the advice!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
2) As stated above, Knox doesn't have any signs of domestication. He doesn't know his name, he's not housebroken, doesn't know how to walk on a lease (pulls like he's on the hunt), and basically everything else you can think of. I've trained puppies before and it's much easier because that haven't established any routines. But, with a 2yr old, I'm not so sure. Especially if Knox is shown any attention, Bentley wigs out. How do I teach this "old(er)" dog new tricks? My number onne priority is marking/urinating in our new house.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks for reading and for the help!
Start from scratch. Potty training, daily training. This is something I always did with rescue pups. Change the name. I would make a list of names that I thought the dog looked like and call the names on the list. I don't know why but there would always be a name the dog responded to. There can be old baggage connected to the name he came with. I love clicker training . this explains it if your interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wv1uvvqaSw

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do you think that this behavior could be partially due to a rank issue? Once it's established that I am the "alpha" amongst the three of us, couldn't some of these issues be resolved?
Rank/alpha/dominance has nothing to do with this. http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/dominance-dogs-4076/

Like the others said its important to start all over with Knox like he is a puppy :) He really has no idea what is expected of him. Here are some stickies you may find helpful,
http://www.dogforum.com/housetraining/house-training-how-tos-2135/

http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/loose-leash-walking-1683/

Also for Bentley's dog aggression, I would recommend the book "Fight!" by Jean Donaldson.
There are quite a few things you are dealing with so I would suggest going through the Training and Behavior Stickies there are plenty of resources there that you might find helpful :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts