Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
I'm sure it must have been scary due to your dogs reactivity, but I don't see how this guy did anything remotely wrong. Runners, dog walkers, bicyclists etc whiz past us all the time. Was this not a communal type trail? That's the nature of walking along a trail. If he had a non-reactive dog and simply jogged past you there is nothing rude about that... If he had stopped next to you or tried to have the dogs interact without asking that would be a different situation entirely.

If your dog is that reactive I think muzzle training sounds like a potential next step for everyone's safety if you can't control your environment 100% of the time.

· Registered
184 Posts
I really think the problem in this thread is the difference in the culture of various areas. I live in a city on the east coast, and strangers being friendly and courteous is weird here. It just doesn't happen.

If I'm going to walk my dog where I personally live, I fully expect to be passed quickly by joggers. Dog walkers can be slightly more courteous, but on running trails they'll whiz by too even with a dog. Occasionally someone will say "on your left" or something similar, but it's just not the norm. Most people just assume you'd be fine with them passing you close by. My dog is not reactive in these situations so to me it's a non issue.

I think it just sounds strange to some of us because this behavior is very normal in some areas. It must not be in others, thats all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.