Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ugh...so I "did" my yard today and all the mailboxes for my end of the block are in front of my house (oh for joy...ugg)​

Chili is a reactive dog...he barks at his own shadow.. None of the other dogs used to bark at people coming up to the fence and now that we have Chili....Kiwi has begun to do it now too..​

We've been working on this "problem" but its not an easy training fix so its been taking som' time. It doesn't help that Chili's bark is like nails on chalkboard.​

So the asshat neighbor who keeps his Rottwieller locked in his yard and never looks at it ..and when he does, hes either slapping it across the face or kicking it.....comes up to the mail box...Kiwi barks a few times and goes to the fence...not out of aggression...but excitement... I call her and she comes to me.​

So the guys says..."wow...she really is getting meaner isn't she?"

I about hit the floor....WTF??? His dog barks 24/7/365 at the friggin sky​

I say...um no shes excited to see you...theres not a mean bone in her body.​

HE smiles and walks away...im like...GREAT my neighbor thinks my pit bull is mean (whatever that means)​

Then another asshat (who lives 6 or so door down) walks by with his boxer​

"JESUS how many dog you have???? 4!? 5?! Jesus!" and shakes his head like im insane.​

But I've seen his boxer loose...oh I dunno...5 times in two years...it wasn't altered either and tries to attack us through the fence when we walk by.​

So Iam officially moving to the moon at first oportunity.​

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Ugh...so I "did" my yard today and all the mailboxes for my end of the block are in front of my house (oh for joy...ugg)​

Chili is a reactive dog...he barks at his own shadow.. None of the other dogs used to bark at people coming up to the fence and now that we have Chili....Kiwi has begun to do it now too..​

We've been working on this "problem" but its not an easy training fix so its been taking som' time. It doesn't help that Chili's bark is like nails on chalkboard.​

So the asshat neighbor who keeps his Rottwieller locked in his yard and never looks at it ..and when he does, hes either slapping it across the face or kicking it.....comes up to the mail box...Kiwi barks a few times and goes to the fence...not out of aggression...but excitement... I call her and she comes to me.​

So the guys says..."wow...she really is getting meaner isn't she?"

I about hit the floor....WTF??? His dog barks 24/7/365 at NOTHING​

I say...um no shes excited to see you...theres not a mean bone in her body.​

HE smiles and walks away...im like...GREAT my neighbor thinks my pit bull is mean (whatever that means)​

Then another asshat (who lives 6 or so door down) walks by with his boxer​

"JESUS how many dog you have???? 4!? 5?! Jesus!" and shakes his head like im insane.​

But I've seen his boxer loose...oh I dunno...5 times in two years...it wasn't altered either and tries to attack us through the fence when we walk by.​

So Iam officially moving to the moon at first oportunity.​
i like that term "asshat", never heard it before. i think i'll start using it:lolsign:

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't move to the moon. The house across the road from me is for sale! Come on over!
lol! probably a decent piece of land too...

Once this housing market recovers we are hightailing it out of california...too many idiots crammed into too small a space.

I live on an 1/8 acre and thats considered a larger than average lot.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
lol! probably a decent piece of land too...

Once this housing market recovers we are hightailing it out of california...too many idiots crammed into too small a space.

I live on an 1/8 acre and thats considered a larger than average lot.
Ugh Cali sucks in many ways (bf moved to az from cali). Have you reported your neighbor for abusing his animal? Believe it or not if you call your local police department and complain they have to come out and give a warning to the guy, especially if the dog is constantly barking. A woman here just got fined 300 bucks, is on 3 yrs probation and almost faced 6 months in jail for constant barking complaints from her neighbors. BTW I feel ya on the barking at people walking by, Harvick has taught Peyton to do this when I thought Peyton could teach Harvick not to LOL

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ugh Cali sucks in many ways (bf moved to az from cali). Have you reported your neighbor for abusing his animal? Believe it or not if you call your local police department and complain they have to come out and give a warning to the guy, especially if the dog is constantly barking. A woman here just got fined 300 bucks, is on 3 yrs probation and almost faced 6 months in jail for constant barking complaints from her neighbors. BTW I feel ya on the barking at people walking by, Harvick has taught Peyton to do this when I thought Peyton could teach Harvick not to LOL

Honestly, its my word against his and he will certainly deny it.. ....I could get him on the barking...but you can't be anonymous here when you report it.....so either way he'll know I complained....all it would do is start a war between me and him, and the situation with the dog wont change.... I can't move right now.

Also Animal control is basically non existant here. A small shelter with only a few officers service 5+ large cites of over 100,000 residents each. Basically the whole county.

I have called animal control twice...once to pick up a stray....they never came and three days later there was a notice on my fence saying they couldn't find the dog (duh)

and once when Kiwi was attacked by a loose dog (they never showed up for that one)

sounds like the AZ laws are better than the ones here...after you complain twice a third party needs to complain twice and then the dog is siezed. The shelter the dog would go to still uses gas chambers.

Im stuck between a rock and hard place. As long as the dogs basic needs are met they can keep on keeping on....the other option is the AC siezes the animal and it will be euthanized.

At least the rottie is confined...the guy behind me breeds chi's and they run loose in the street night and day...he has like 9 of them.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Honestly, its my word against his and he will certainly deny it.. ....I could get him on the barking...but you can't be anonymous here when you report it.....so either way he'll know I complained....all it would do is start a war between me and him, and the situation with the dog wont change.... I can't move right now.

Also Animal control is basically non existant here. A small shelter with only a few officers service 5+ large cites of over 100,000 residents each. Basically the whole county.

I have called animal control twice...once to pick up a stray....they never came and three days later there was a notice on my fence saying they couldn't find the dog (duh)

and once when Kiwi was attacked by a loose dog (they never showed up for that one)

sounds like the AZ laws are better than the ones here...after you complain twice a third party needs to complain twice and then the dog is siezed. The shelter the dog would go to still uses gas chambers.

Im stuck between a rock and hard place. As long as the dogs basic needs are met they can keep on keeping on....the other option is the AC siezes the animal and it will be euthanized.

At least the rottie is confined...the guy behind me breeds chi's and they run loose in the street night and day...he has like 9 of them.
That blows, btw we suck here with animal laws I am currently getting facts together to write my moron congressman. The penalty for that lady with the barking dog...is the same for someone who slaughters an animal here....its horrible and apparently not too much better elsewhere (some states are good about animal protection laws but most are not) the worst part about it is that society gives less than a shit when it comes to this kind of stuff...a horse was dragged behind a truck and then beaten IN FRONT OF A COP and his testimony didn't mean anything because the jury found him not guilty and awarded his horse back to him...this just happened in March :mad: How is this excusable?

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is terrible! What idiotic neighbors!
And about the rottie.. call the SPCA. Now.
No dog deserves to be treated that way.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That is terrible! What idiotic neighbors!
And about the rottie.. call the SPCA. Now.
No dog deserves to be treated that way.

Um. there isn't one. Did you read post #6 at all?

Animal Control is useless. Unless I can som' how videotape him hitting the dog nothing will happen. And in Two years I've seen him strike the dog 3 times. I guess it sounded bad when I said he hits it everytime he interacts with the dog, which is technically true.....well I've only seen him interact with the dog 3 times. This isn't a daily thing or anything. All three times I could tell he thought he was "training" the dog, and it wasn't listening to him (well duh) so he'd "correct" him with a bit of frustration thrown in.

anyway If the dog was siezed it would be absolutely destroyed, no one adopts from that shelter (its rural) let alone adopt a 5 year old Rottie with behavior issues... He would die by gas chamber no less.

Dogs are legally property, its not easy ( up to downright impossible) to have dogs removed from som'ones care. Just as police can't come to your house and take your belongings. Right or wrong... its just not legal.

ETA: When both parties own dogs it almost always ends up in a war. The guy has already expressed dislike for my dog. What do you think the first thing he will do after he learns I reported him?...retailate. I don't want to get into an AC ticket war with this guy.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow speak of the devil...so that jerks boxer was just running loose in the street infront of my house...it was terrified.

Next time I see him I'll have to remind him that Walmart sells leashes for $5

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
i got caught up for a very short time watching that show "animal cops" on animal planet (i only watched it a few times, i get way too emotional). in almost very state it is nearly impossible to remove an animal from someones "possesion" unless they have too many of them. did you know that it is legal to confine your dog and not interact with it? in a small kennel, no less. the regulation for "commercial breeders" (puppy mills) is 6inches on each side and above the dog. unless the guy was caught actually beating the dog you could do nothing about it, even then you'd need many witnesses and he would have had to noticably injure the dog. you are more likely to get help if you complain the dog is annoying you, barking too much. i was really nervous when i just got my dog, but my neighbors were super awesome about it, they gave me reports of how much they could tell he calmed down and seemed happy, and they like that he'll alert them if something is going on. he isn't much of a barker though.
anyway, there are basically no laws that really protect animals from idiots.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
i got caught up for a very short time watching that show "animal cops" on animal planet (i only watched it a few times, i get way too emotional). in almost very state it is nearly impossible to remove an animal from someones "possesion" unless they have too many of them. did you know that it is legal to confine your dog and not interact with it? in a small kennel, no less. the regulation for "commercial breeders" (puppy mills) is 6inches on each side and above the dog. unless the guy was caught actually beating the dog you could do nothing about it, even then you'd need many witnesses and he would have had to noticably injure the dog. you are more likely to get help if you complain the dog is annoying you, barking too much. i was really nervous when i just got my dog, but my neighbors were super awesome about it, they gave me reports of how much they could tell he calmed down and seemed happy, and they like that he'll alert them if something is going on. he isn't much of a barker though.
anyway, there are basically no laws that really protect animals from idiots.
Yup...i have been researching cruetly cases since we started this thread and there is an awesome site.. It has a search feature!

Pet-Abuse.Com - Database of Criminal Animal Cruelty Cases

I was able to look up EVERY animal abuse case within 50 miles (I read many of the cases for hours this morning) and basically what I learned is...you have to be a hoarder... (20 animals + seemed to be the number there were no cases with less than 20 animals) OR you have to beat the dog with an axe or som'thing...

Aparently if the dog is not physically injured where its obvious you can't prosecute (well you can try, but it wont work) all the animal beating cases were dogs that were at minimum, bleeding or had broken limbs...

Kinda sad actually...

Oh yeah and a guy living 5 miles from me aparently raped his dog with a broom handle and slept in the dog house with it every night wearing nothing but a womans bra...:eek: wow kinda puts things in perspective huh.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Yup...i have been researching cruetly cases since we started this thread and there is an awesome site.. It has a search feature!

Pet-Abuse.Com - Database of Criminal Animal Cruelty Cases

I was able to look up EVERY animal abuse case within 50 miles (I read many of the cases for hours this morning) and basically what I learned is...you have to be a hoarder... (20 animals + seemed to be the number there were no cases with less than 20 animals) OR you have to beat the dog with an axe or som'thing...

Aparently if the dog is not physically injured where its obvious you can't prosecute (well you can try, but it wont work) all the animal beating cases were dogs that were at minimum, bleeding or had broken limbs...

Kinda sad actually...

Oh yeah and a guy living 5 miles from me aparently raped his dog with a broom handle and slept in the dog house with it every night wearing nothing but a womans bra...:eek: wow kinda puts things in perspective huh.
LOL guess I should have posted this...found this about a yr ago...this is where I found the horse case which the guy was found not guilty and got the horse back! It is very very very sick when you read the cases and see how many are thrown out. I feel this world does not see animals as anything more than a thing. It is hard to read cases, take a look at AZ....there are too many where people got into fights with their SO and threw dogs against the sidewalk and cars etc etc. This is why I have decided to take stand and become an acitvist when it comes to prosecuting animal abusers, rapists, etc. Sorry for my rant I get too emotional

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
i'll have to check out that website thank you! gosh, i get so emotional too! i can't tell you how many times i've been reading an article or something and had someone come up and ask "what's wrong?" and all i can do is sob out some story...people probably think i'm a bit of a nut case lol, but i just can't help it, i mean wtf is wrong with people? even if you think of animals as possessions, you wouldn't beat the crap out of your car would you? now i'm getting all riled up about it....
activism? what are you doing exactly?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
i'll have to check out that website thank you! gosh, i get so emotional too! i can't tell you how many times i've been reading an article or something and had someone come up and ask "what's wrong?" and all i can do is sob out some story...people probably think i'm a bit of a nut case lol, but i just can't help it, i mean wtf is wrong with people? even if you think of animals as possessions, you wouldn't beat the crap out of your car would you? now i'm getting all riled up about it....
activism? what are you doing exactly?
Speaking my mind, getting info together to write my congressman, telling people the horror stories of what really happens in this world to get them to open their dang eyes. I just went to the site and looked at the recent cases and there are so many just in july....its sick. Im not crazy like PETA LOL. Just simple things. If I knew when cases were being taken to court I would go stand outside of the court house.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
unfortunately the laws that protect good pet owners also protect "bad" owners too.

Im glad som' neighbor can't just say im hitting my dogs and then AC comes and takes them based on hearsay....that type of system would be soo abused...imagine your neighbor doesn't like the color of your rosebushes...or just doesn't like dogs, or you, or whatever...

I mean the same laws that allow me to keep my dogs... allow a person to keep a dog and never interact with it, or yell at it...or breed it over and over and over. Down the street theres a pit and a lab/pit that has a litter EVERY HEAT. Its discusting, but legally ok as long as the pups are gone by 4 months old.

I think the key is not more laws, just education and better enforcement of existing laws. Alot of people have bad info on raising dogs (just look at training advice you see) or they are simply doing what their parents did. Som' people just want a cheap "alarm" to guard their house and don't really care at all.

For example they passed a mandatory spay/neuter for Los Angeles...yet they can't seem to get more than 60% of their dogs licenced??? They also passes in ca a 3 hour max for tying your dog out....thats great and all but its not enforced...and once again you can complain, but try and prove it.....These laws are useless if they can't be enforced.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
i agree to some extent, but i think that the "minimum" requirements could be improved upon. we just passed a law, in my town, against the retail sale of dogs and cats.....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
The biggest issue I see is people do not care to be educated :( Its sad, we have a place that alters pit bulls and pit mixes for free and it is obvious how many people DO NOT use this service.

You are right tho, I am glad someone cannot just call and say I hit my dog and have them taken away.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i agree to some extent, but i think that the "minimum" requirements could be improved upon. we just passed a law, in my town, against the retail sale of dogs and cats.....

Nice! Most of the shops here have stopped selling them anyway...not enough buyers. So people ARE catching on. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The biggest issue I see is people do not care to be educated :( Its sad, we have a place that alters pit bulls and pit mixes for free and it is obvious how many people DO NOT use this service.

You are right tho, I am glad someone cannot just call and say I hit my dog and have them taken away.

I agree... thats why I always say that the consumer is the root of the issue with overpop and mills and whatnot...people refuse to research purchases, or buy on impulse so the problems stick around

Rescue is gaining momentum...its so popular in som' cites they have to bring dogs in from other areas...I know California is bringing in dogs from Mexico.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.