Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
//rant.... I am so upset right now. I just moved into my own home and already have issues with the neighbors!

My yard is currently not fenced in. Hoping to get it fenced in next year or the one after but we just cant afford it right now.

Behind my house is an open field before getting to other houses. Apparently one of my neighbors across the street from me likes to use the field to let her dog play off leash.

Her dog does not listen to her in any way. She screams and calls and calls and the dog 100% completely ignores her. Secondly she is an older lady and while the dog is medium sized he is too much for her to handle or get control over easily.

Maybe a week after we moved in I was out in the yard with my rat & her dog was loose and ran over to my yard barking nonstop at me... She kept calling him, he ignored her & it took her forever to grab him and get his leash on.

I would think she would say hey someone lives there now and I should stop letting my dog run loose...but nope.

Yesterday my dog was out in the yard, tied but alone. I rarely leave her out alone and when I do it is for no more then 10-15 mins. I heard her barking and growling and ran to go check.

The neighbors dog was off leash, in my yard and going at my dog! I didnt see him attack her but he kept charging at her. The woman was trying her hardest to get him but looked like she was about to have a heart attack. She kept apologizing saying she didnt see my dog was out and I just snapped that there were leash laws.

I should have called animal control. And am mad at myself for not doing it. I have bad anxiety and was just seriously upset and had to calm down and my husband didnt want to call.

Next time I see the dog loose I will call and no more letting my dog outside by herself.

I just do not understand what this woman is thinking....what if I had a large aggressive dog?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Ugh, my parents had this problem when they moved into their current house close to 20 years ago. They built their house on an empty lot next door to a couple with multiple Dalmatians. The Dalmatians were kept outside in a tiny yard with no human contact all the time, but they would periodically let the dogs out to run in the empty lot. That unfortunately didn't change when we moved in. Luckily we had fenced in a portion of the yard for our own dogs so they couldn't get to ours, but these four aggressive dogs would come poop and dig in our yard along with harassing our dogs. Then when it was time to call the dogs back they would call the DEAF ONES name!! These guys were idiots.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I also have neighbors that like to let their dogs loose, in town. It has contributed to my dog's reactivity as one of theirs will try to bite and/or pee on mine when he sees him.

And once, while I was away, they knocked my front door open and evidently took a huge runny crap in my living room. I know it wasn't my dog because he was crated the whole time... unless he's so incredibly slick that he put himself back in his crate and closed it from the outside to cover his tracks. :eyeroll:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I used to have a very large, very dog aggressive dog and loose dogs ... I don't want your dog to end up dead, but if you insist on letting them run around offleash, what do you want from me?!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'd put up a temporary fence, and around the outside of that temporary fence I'd run a couple of strands of electric fence to zap the loose dogs if they get near the fence, but that I could turn off when my own dogs were out of the yard so that they did not get zapped. The whole set up would probably cost around three hundred.

This is what I'm thinking about.... Shop Blue Hawk 48-in x 50-ft Black PVC-Coated Steel Perimeter Fence at Lowes.com

Shop Havahart AC-Powered Pet or Small Animals Electric Fence Kit at Lowes.com

Just make sure to space the electric fence from the other fence.

Reactions: Kwenami

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree with Rain, it might be worth it to put up something temporary, especially since your neighbors dog isn't friendly towards your dog. Even if its some simple wire fencing for now. Hopefully your neighbor has learned her lesson and wont let her dog run off leash there anymore.

Thankfully were I live we just get the occasional neighbor dog(s) going for a stroll. We see them 1-5 times in the span of a month then we don't see them any more. And we usually go a handful of years between seeing any.

·
Registered
579 Posts
ugh! I hate loose dogs too and we have a lot of them here! The neighbour directly across from us has this little 6-7lb solid black terrier (or possibly schnauzer) mix. They at least try to keep him in their yard but he is constantly getting out. His favourite spot to sleep is in the middle of our drive way. Trying to spot a 5lb black dog, on black top, at night is really difficult. I have taken to getting out of the car and checking the drive way before pulling in.

The people across the street and next door to the little black dog's owners do not even try. Their yard is only partially fenced in. They have 5-6 chihuahua mixes that roam the neighbourhood like the chihuahua mafia. They will run charging and growling at people, try and attack other dogs, and poop everywhere. They drive me nuts!

They do not go after me or my kids anymore though because I took to giving my kids little squirt guns with a mixture of water and nuclear hot sauce in them. After they were sprayed a couple times they learned to stay away from us.

I have called animal control a few times about them. Also whenever I manage to catch a loose dog in the neighbourhood I crate them and have animal control come pick it up as a stray. It is weird because they are usually small dogs too and we live in an area with lots of coyotes and hawks. You'd think people would be more careful.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Lose/stray dogs. Who doesn't hate em. Where I live, the area is full of lose dogs. My area is all drunks living and one several of them have five plus dogs tied outside with a not so decent shelter, really thin, unsocialized dogs and the females arent fix so they produce puppies and it's survival of the fittest. When I walked kuma it was a pain I had to drive clear across town to walk him. Until I got his countering good enough and I used those strays as tests/reinforcements. But yeah I am not a fan of them. The good thing about most of he lose dogs around my area are flight types and would stay away from confrontation but follow us at a safe distance.

I think a lot of those were puppies who were never tied and go where ever they pleased and got the doggy manners. But they are scared of people.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
455 Posts
That's just awful @natenqen, truly terrible.
I've never had much of a problem w loose dogs, occasionally one or another of the neighbor's dogs will be loose on my parents road or get into their yard, but it's no big deal. If they won't leave the yard we just call the number on the tag and get the neighbor to come get them. We've never had an aggressive dog in the yard. And on the road it's fine, it's a bumpy dirt road and everyone goes like 15mph, hell even my dog wanders onto the road sometimes, just gotta keep an eye out.
Aggressive loose dogs or dogs running onto the property on a regular basis would bother me though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
It is, but there is nothing we can do. Most of the puppies, young adults run to the property where their mother lives and the animal control or us can't take any animal off the property even if the dog/puppy is lose.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
My mom almost hit a loose dog driving today-owner just stepped in front of the car and waited for her dog to move out of the way on its own.

You can't fix stupid. Build the fence and skip the groceries for a month or something. It'll be worth it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. We really can't build a fence right now. It is just far far outside of our budget. Buying the house and moving pretty much killed us lol

I will look into the temp fencing I wonder if u need a permit to put it up as well hmmm.

I am mostly worried as I am getting another dog soon and not sure how he is around other dogs. I wouldnt want them getting into a fight or injuring the other dog either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts