Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this forum. My Golden Retriever developed lymphoma in the neck glands. This came on within about two weeks. We brought him to the vet after his neck became enlarged. The vet thought it was an abscess. They ran tests and it came back cancer. So we put him down the same night. That was the hardest thing I have ever done. I miss so much. Our family is in terrible mourning. Thanks for letting me vent. His name was braveheart and only 4 yrs old.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, losing a beloved pet & companion is never an easy thing. Sadly it's one of the many things we has pet/animal owners must face at some point but it certainly doesn't make it any easier. My best to you & your family

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am really sorry for your loss. I had a pom for 15 years and i had to put him down last year. he had a liver problem and lost a lot of weight. His name was Polo
he was my heartdog. I got a book with the name "the dog chapel". Its a cute book and the let you mail a pic of your dog to the dog chapel in maine. I can tell you that
you never really get over the loss. My dog Polo has always a special place in my heart.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am very sorry to hear of your loss, Braveheart. :( I too have a Golden, and I can't praise them enough. They're such beautiful dogs. It's so very hard making a decision like that, even if it's the right one, it's never any easier. Please know that you're welcome to stay with us, though my apologies that it is under such sad circumstances.

I do know of a site that may be able to help if you're feeling a bit low. When I lost my Montana last year, I found it a comfort, and they people there are so understanding and helpful.

Pet Loss Grief Support, Rainbow Bridge, Monday Candle Ceremony,

It was/is a place I frequent often, and it still amazes me of how much it helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, and I too must believe that Braveheart is in heaven waiting for us. The loss is very much like a family member, and in some ways much harder. Thank you for the invite and all the thoughtful comments. As a side note I have been doing some research and have noticed that cancer is a huge problem with dogs, and especially with some specific breeds, i.e. Goldens.
Thanks again-

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had to make the decision to put my cat down not too long ago. I know it's very hard. The pain does lessen in time, but they leave an indelible mark on your heart. And really, to me, it feels like he's never really left. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss.He was beautiful. You will see him in heaven. We lost a 5 yr old German Shepherd to cancer in 1996. We will miss her forever. When they are so young it is really hard to make that final decision.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Awe i'm so sorry for your loss :(
I can't imagine what it would be like to have to do that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just learned that my Macey 8 yr. lab mix also has lymphoma. She was diagnosed last week. I have her on prednisone & it seems to shrink the tumors in her neck for awhile. she had a eally bad day I almst put er down, but she picked up the next day. It hard to baby her, beause her whole life has been nothing but babying. It is hard to look at her without crying. The vet said between 1-2 month, could be sooner/later. I cannot imagine my life without her. My heart is dying constantly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'M SO SORRY! I can totally relate and it will definately take time to get over this great loss. I remember putting duchess (belgian and doberman mix) down...i hugged her and cried because i didn't want to let her go. The only thing that helped was knowing she wasn't going to be in pain anymore....and Braveheart is not in anymore pain either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Macey has been on prednisone for a week now. I usually give her 2-20mg. in the morning when she eats. She has become so lethargic, that she can hardly lift her head. Once the prednisone takes effect, she seems to really pick back up. I don't think my vet has enough experience in this lymphoma. He said that as long as she is picking up, to keep her on this dosage. I have been reading anything & everything on this cancer for dogs. My husband & I decided to give her 1-20mg. of prednisone every 8 hrs. This way she can always have it in her system before the other one wears off. She has been almost normal again. Except for the thirst & hunger, which I know is a side effect of the prednisone. It is such a relief to see her be herself. I know the prednisone is not good for her, but it will be the cancer that kills her, we are just trying to keep her comfortable while she is here. The lymph nodes in her throat have also gone
down. I am so emotionally & physically drained by this ordeal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts