Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had the shock of my life (well, I am only 20 so I am sure I have many many more shocks to come).
I take my dog out for very long walks (about 2-3 hours) religiously since we live since a small apartment now and want to make sure he gets plenty a exercise and room to run around and just be a dog.
Today around 5am we went to a park we normally go to. He is offleash. There are designated times in the NYC parks when you are allowed to have dogs offleash as long as the dog is well behaved and listens to you, and my dog is a very good boy
and comes everytime I call him. Well, we were about 15 minutes into our walk and I was throwing his favorite ball for him while walking on the path.
While walking back over to me so I could throw the ball again, he dropped it. The ball bounced off of the path and off of the path into the wooded area and Prozak went after it. He was about 10 feet away from me when this happened. I didnt really think much when it happened and expected him to come back out immediately.
Other than the initial rustling of leaves when he ran after the ball, I could not hear anything. At first I thought, "well he is just sniffing around and taking his time...". So I called for him. Nothing. I was terrifed. I ran over to the area he went into and walked in only to see a small grassy area with some small trees and then
....a complete drop off, a cliff. About a 15 foot drop and a VERY steep incline after. The feeling when I saw this was is undescribable. I started climbing down the cliff as best I could as fast I could, calling his name...rather, screaming it. I make it past the drop off and I am now battling thorns and thick mud (as the snow has recently melted) on the incline and trying not to fall down or tumble down. I am calling him and I still hear nothing.
Fearing the worst and practically in tears in a full on panic attack, he appears! I hear rustling in the far distance and see him at the bottom of the incline walking around, distressed because he cant find me. I continue to call him so he stays in the area that I am heading to. I am trying so hard to get down there as it seems impossible as I am keeping a constant eye on him. Then, he disapeers. At this point I am yelling "Prozak, Come! Bad Dog! Get back here!". I try to rush even faster down.
About a minute later he reappears at the top of the hill where this all started, staring and barking at me. Somehow, he found a way back up by himself. I mumbled "Oh...you are such a bad dog today...." quietly to myself as I scale my way back up.
After a brief physical inspection, we went home, as I could not continue walking anymore because I am still freaking out about what happened. He walked just fine, and looked just fine. Just some very muddy paws.
I have no idea how he got ALL the way to the bottom without taking the plunge. If he had, there would have been mud all over his body, or at least on one side. Oh, I was SO scared. My first thought was "OMG, is he conscious!? Is he ALIVE!?, do I need to call the vet to tell him I have an emergency!?". It was an unbelievable experience. He has hip implants and a fall like that would destroy his sensitive hips, or I assume. I was so happy to see his bewildered face staring at me. I am so scraped and bruised up

I guess I will never know how he did it, but I am very thankful he did.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dogs seem to know the safe paths in the most unthinkable dangerous places. It is also amazing that they do it pretty fast.
Good thing you and Prozak are safe and sound!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts