Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rosie A golden retriever was born on 10/29 came home 12/24

i was on so excited to finally choose the right dog, we got updates with pictures every week, we visited her at 5 weeks old she picked us i was beaming.

she came home 12/24 and everything was fine

on 12/25 i woke up in a panic and felt like i had made a horrible choice in getting a puppy, as first time owners maybe we should have went with a older dog.

i know it all takes time, the potty training, the needing to be glued to us im sure when shes 6 months old i will look back at this and laugh

but for now i feel overwhelmed and sad and angry at myself for feeling like this i cried 3 times yesterday and once already today. i think its more that my routine is getting changed (i have OCD and anxiety issues)

my hubby loves her, and hes a very gentle and understanding man and even he doesn't get it, tells me i have to "get over it" which makes me feel like im crazy

my son is ok with her, it was his gift but hes skiddish around her since this is the 1st time hes ever been around dogs

i guess i just came here to vent and maybe talk to others who have dealt with this and sort of give myself some validation that im not crazy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess i should add im suffering with major allergies too im trying to adjust to that, and going to see my doc to get meds.

Plus i have been laid up on the couch for 3 days with bronchitis, a cold and a stomach bug and im on antibiotics as well as inhalers.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
If you remember having a baby you understand what it is to have a puppy. Being sick on top of it does not help. Give yourself a break and try to relax. Puppies are a lot of work especially for the first 3 months. They are so worth it though. After a while you will wonder how you ever went without one in the house. They will love you no matter what mood you are in. Never talk back and never ask to borrow the car or money. Relax and enjoy they are only puppies for a short while.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hugs to you. I am sure I will be right where you are in the Spring when we get our new puppy. I have been doing a lot of research to prepare and one of the things I discovered was how common the "puppy blues" is. I am an extremely routine oriented person and right now my life is easy and calm, so I am fully prepared to have puppy blues once we got our puppy. I found this great website that talks about it:

Ebook: I Got a Dog – What Was I Thinking? | 3 Lost Dogs

I actually went ahead and bought the e book and read it already- lol- told you I was preparing. But I wanted to read it NOW, BEFORE I am on full blown panic mode and can feel more rational about things :)

Definitely read the blog, check out the website and see if it helps you at all. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
661 Posts
If you remember having a baby you understand what it is to have a puppy. Being sick on top of it does not help. Give yourself a break and try to relax. Puppies are a lot of work especially for the first 3 months. They are so worth it though. After a while you will wonder how you ever went without one in the house. They will love you no matter what mood you are in. Never talk back and never ask to borrow the car or money. Relax and enjoy they are only puppies for a short while.
I think a puppy is harder and definitely more work than a newborn. I remember feeling buyer's remorse and fantasizing about returning Oscar to the breeder when we first got him. But as Dawnben said above, they are so worth it, the love they give you is so much greater than you will ever be able to give back to them. The five years he has been part of our family has flown by and I cannot imagine life without him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have the same feelings with Rosie but I'm working through it because I know this puppy stage will be over in a few months and I'll look back at this and laugh, but for now I'm trying I'm Journaling to help me get it all out and for now im focused on just getting to know her the bond will come later that I know. My husband is OK and my kid will come along i guess but right now his interest in her is waning,he's just so skiddish around her that he is scared to play with her he thinks she will attack him and hurt him, his special needs(he has adhd,ocd and is on the autism spectrum) makes it harder for him to realize that she won't hurt him I'm not sure how to address that because he is happy he got her.

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Another thing you could try is maybe contacting local trainers and explaining you have a special needs son who hasn't had much interaction with dogs and see if they have links to any owners with therapy dogs that could hang out with him, dogs that are very well mannered and will leave a good impression on him.

Also, not sure how old he is or how much he understands about autism but if he's older and has an understanding of it maybe looks at autism-helper dogs on youtube or even just any service dogs on youtube to show him dogs are really good at helping people.

I would definitely avoid him seeing the puppy play with other dogs if he thinks she's going to attack him- puppy play is usually rough and loud and can sound really scary to people who aren't used to dogs.

New tiny puppies are so hard. I think people really underestimate the work and mental toll they can take as you get them trained and as they mature but it is so worth it in the end and there's nothing like having a dog that you're known all their lives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts