Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my Labrador retriever coffee is 2months and 3 weeks old now. I know it's normal with puppies to bark and bite due to teething but this time, every time we have a walk, she will run towards me and start biting (like I said, I think that's the normal teething phase). But this time, I'm getting a lot of abrasions from her. from my hands, to my legs, my feet and even my belly! she bite my cloth (in my belly part) with her month and I felt like I got a little wounded inside. I checked and I was right. I got abrasion right at my tummy. (It really hurts). Some of my abrasions sometimes bleed so I'm as well afraid that I might get rabies from her since she's not yet getting her anti-rabies vaccines til next month. I'm frustrated this time. I've been doing all their suggestions on how to train her to stop biting but I think I can't stop her. huhuhu. There are times that I end up slapping her month (but not that hard) if she keeps on biting me.

And another question, since she's just almost 4 months old, I bought her a treat. I forgot the fact that she can't chew hard treats. Is it safe to continue giving her that treat? Cause the first time I gave her that, she liked it. She chew it but it's not break into pieces. I'm afraid that it will choke her. Or can I soak the treat in to water for 1 hour until it can be chew-able for her?

·
Registered
202 Posts
What exactly have you been doing to try and stop the behaviour other than hitting her mouth(which really isn't suggested)?
Also you can only get rabies if she is infected with rabies, which only happens if she's either eaten or got in a fight with another animal that has rabies to infect her. They can't just catch it from not being vaccinated yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm. I tried distracting her with toys but what ever toys I gave her, she won't give attention to those and get focused on biting me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are times that she's quiet and behave. I want to give her the treats I bought for her but I figured out that treats I bought for her was too hard that she can't even chew. So I can't give her the treats to when she's doing good... Once I tried to cook hard boiled egg for her as an alternative treat and she really liked it. But I'm afraid that it's bad for a puppy to eat hard boiled egg so I stopped. hehehe

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Did you try any of the suggestions offered in your previous posts?

Biting, Mouthing, and Nipping
Impulse Control and Calmness

With a puppy, you need to be consistent. Slapping her is going end badly: she will become hand shy and fearful which will make life much more difficult for you or she will fight back harder.

It's highly unlikely that you will get rabies from her. Is she exposed to wildlife without your supervision?

As far as treats, I don't see why she can't eat hard treats. I gave my puppy the same treats my dog had and it was fine. You could buy softer treats (e.g., Buddy Biscuits, Zukes) or try bits of meat and cheese. Eggs should be fine, as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I did all those as well as the videos I watched suggested by other forum members. Well, I think all I need a lot of patience this time lol!

@It's highly unlikely that you will get rabies from her. Is she exposed to wildlife without your supervision? - No. As much as possible I am the only one who walks with her. I don't allow my boyfriend to walk with her since he's slapping her as well when he gets impatient with her. My mother stopped walking her during day time since the last time that she was bitten by coffee in her hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts