Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*sighs* hubby has been wanting to do more with kuma. He has really come a long way for not wanting a dog in the house to having him in the house and him only giving him food and water to taking him out for hikea in the back roads. He has really come to love having a dog inside. I'm happy because he sees it now. He was on of those dogs belong outside type if people.

My frustration is he's starting to poison my cues on hand signals we have been working on.

My spin and turn(spin means left spin, turn means right apin.). Hubby wanted to try teach him a trick. Sine he liked roll over so much, I told him have kuma in dodwn(lay) and use this hand movement over his body and I showed him how to do it.

Guess what hubby does? He isnt consistent and instead of doing how I showed him, he just used the hand signal for turn and telling him over and over again roll over.

I did not know this was going to throw kuma off and when we went to work on our spin with the back feet while his front feet stay on the book on the floor, I thought to brush up some on his other triccks he knew. I gave the hand signal and spin command which he knew, but what did kuma do? He rolled over. He was not laying down, he was standing.

I found out that while I was at work, hubby was training kuma the roll over cue incorrectly poisoning my spin signal. Trying to get him to spin wih luring was hard because he would automatically lay down and roll over or just lay down when o try to lure him.

*sighs* so I had to put aside my fun new truck aside and work with the spin. The turn xue wasn't poisoned and he did that just fine.

Sorry I had to rant. I told hubby that I do not want him doing anything without me beside him to kuma. Men can't live with em, can't live without em. (No offense to those men who know what their doing.)

·
Registered
876 Posts
I understand the frustration, dad has 'untrained' several of my taught tricks exactly the same way.

Unfortunately in this situation it might be easier to switch poor Kuma to the 'new' cue and come up with another one for spins, it's unlikely your hubby's going to stop.

·
Registered
516 Posts
UGH. yes. my husband uses the wrong hand signal for stay. I taught him left is wait, right is stay. he uses left for everything and says STAY. i taught the dog to wait at corners before we cross and say wait...my husband tells him STAY. it's nit-picky but it's also frustrating to put a lot of time and effort into cues and have someone else decide they want to use them differently. grrr!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Preach. My fiance is struggling with the please only ask him one time idea. He likes to chant cues at him. He has recently improved quite a bit, probably because he can tell I'm getting exasperated with him. His new thing is he waaaaaaaaaaaaay over-uses Levi's name. All night long "Levi. Leeeeevi. Little Leeeeeevi". No wonder he doesn't look when he hears his name anymore. >.<

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I don't teach tricks really so it doesn't bother me that my girlfriend does.

What bothers me a lot is that she can't understand the importance of complete basics and unfortunately for me that means I have to shoulder pretty much all of the responsibilities for training.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Thank god I'm not alone!

The other night I was on the couch and my bf was making food and he had some extra cheese. I've taught Delilah "sit" and "down." He was just saying "down" over and over again and she wasn't doing it (because he was being confusing and not using the hand signal) and he STILL gave her the cheese!

And then whenever I come home from work there's usually poop or pee behind the couch or under the chair. He doesn't bring her outside often enough, for long enough, and he doesn't supervise her when she's inside. She never has accidents when I'm home! And he yells at her for accidents even though it's not her fault and even hours after it's happened. So now guess what? She hides to pee and poop making it harder to clean up after her. Which is exactly what I told him before we got the dog and he agreed not to yell at her for accidents. And then when I got mad at him for yelling at her he said his boss said "They never learn if you don't yell at them." His boss at Williams Sonoma...

I signed up for a training class more for his benefit then mine. If he won't listen to me maybe he'll listen to a professional trainer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My OH drives me round the bend when he recalls his dog .
She's called Penny and he sounds like Sheldon from Big bang theory. Penny ... Penny .... PENNY PENNY PENNY then he gives up and goes and gets her. :eyeroll:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
You should let him go by himself and then ask him to "teach" you what he's learned. Sometimes you've got to make them think it was their idea!
That's a good idea, I know he's going to at least one session alone! When I tried showing him how to get Delilah to "down" he got all jealous and sulky and said she's likes me more. So it will be a good confidence boost for him.

Although I'm going to go to most classes as well because I want to get into the agility program at this training facility.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand the frustration, dad has 'untrained' several of my taught tricks exactly the same way.

Unfortunately in this situation it might be easier to switch poor Kuma to the 'new' cue and come up with another one for spins, it's unlikely your hubby's going to stop.

Yeah, I should do that, but I have to retrain him to spin and I can't do that without luring him and he will go into a sit and then a semi-laydown and then roll over.... So, I'm going to have to be creative with that one. Maybe some brain storming?

My OH drives me round the bend when he recalls his dog .
She's called Penny and he sounds like Sheldon from Big bang theory. Penny ... Penny .... PENNY PENNY PENNY then he gives up and goes and gets her. :eyeroll:
If no one didn't know now they will, I love that show. I especially loved the part where Sheldon uses positive method training on Penny. Her reward is chocholates.

That's a good idea, I know he's going to at least one session alone! When I tried showing him how to get Delilah to "down" he got all jealous and sulky and said she's likes me more. So it will be a good confidence boost for him.

Although I'm going to go to most classes as well because I want to get into the agility program at this training facility.
lol, my hubby is the exact same way too. He tells Kuma to go to bed when he's having a snack and Kuma will just stare at him in a sitting position. He will tell him again and Kuma will look at me and I point to Kuma's bed and he will go, walking slowly to his bed as if I had just beaten the crap out of him. poor guy. But he ends up napping. Then hubby gets he likes you more then me talk.

If I am in the mood, I will jokingly tell him because Kuma sees me as the 'alpha' in the family. And he would get grouchy then I would say, he listens to me more because I've worked with him and we have a strong connection. (I can't say bond because he will get more upset). And he would ask how did I do that and I told him, through training.

Lol, I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Shadow used to have a flawless sit, down, stay, beg and play dead before dad decided to 'help'. Now she cycles through every trick she knows when you ask for, say, 'sit', until she gets the treat. She won't sit right away. She'll go to a down. Didn't work? Let's try beg! Hey that didn't work either, let's play dead! Oh not that one either? Okay how about sitting??

It's really aggravating. And I'm having a heck of a time breaking her back out of it because dad's happily rewarding her for cycling through the entire list every time because it's 'cute'.

I really, REALLY wish I could suggest things for fixing it.. maybe not rewarding him at all for the wrong trick? Let him go through his list trying to find the one you want and nothing happens from it.. He'll probably get frustrated about ti because it works fine every other time!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts