Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a lump on my dog by chance, its maybe about the size of a marble, hard, moves with the skin, its barely noticeable but its right beside a nipple

so im wondering how concerned i should be?.. she's had lumps before, a couple have gone away, one hard one on her paw shes had for many years, is this something she should see a vet again for or should i wait and see what happens?

im also wondering if its possible flea drops could have had anything to do with it?.. she hasnt had any drops in a while (she hasnt had any fleas) but she did get some and so i gave her some drops with fipronil about a week ago.. doesnt seem like they could be related but who knows

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It sounds like a little cyst of some sort, but its always a good decision to go get it checked out. Is it related to the flea treatment? Probably not, but one reason I don't use any of those, or chemical anything for that matter is because of so many side effects. I don't trust any of them. So many problems that won't show up until later down the road, as well as immediate issues. I say go get it checked out at the vet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would get it checked out by a vet just to be safe, especially if your female is not spayed it could potentially be a mammary tumor since its right by the nipple.

Hopefully it's just a cyst, but you can never be too careful with these sorts of things.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If the mass in by a mammary gland, please go have it assessed sooner rather than later. Is your dog intact? If it it a mammary mass your vet will likely recommend removal with biops (histopath) along with spay if she's unaltered. About 50% of mammary tumors turn out to be malignant.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
she is spayed.. she just turned 10

wouldnt a cyst be soft or rubbery?.. this lump wont deform no matter how hard to squeeze it

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i checked it again today.. it doesnt seem to be part of the skin, but part of the mammaries as it seems to be attached with some kind of tissue to the nipple, but theres no discoloration or anything.. when i checked it today to squeeze it and confirm it was firm it seems to have released some liquid.. can a mammary cyst exist underneath the skin and not have any pain? and can they be that hard?.. from my understanding no tumor benign or malignant can be "popped"

ill call the vet in the morning, since i dont think it can be a tumor, she may still need some anti-biotics

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
waiting for an appointment, it seems the lump has gotten painful for her if you grab it to see how large it is

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, talked to the vet today, said its either a mammary tumor or some type of cyst but i wont know more till the formal appointment on monday.. dog should be fine till then.. im leaning towards a cyst given its properties but im prepared to pay to have it removed if its a malignant tumor

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
uuh.. so she goes into the vet today, the earlier i could make the appointment.. and well, the lump got visually larger over the last couple days.. i squeezed it today and pus came out of her nipple.. a tumor wouldnt do that, would it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i didnt squeeze it like that.. just sort of grabbed it to see if its gotten any bigger and stuff oozed out.. also the "hard" lump seems softer, so im thoroughly confused but she is at the vet right now

·
Registered
17 Posts
To answer your question, yes a malignant tumour can ooze, leak, and or contain various types of fluids.

Do you have an update by any chance?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, she ended up having surgery to have the lump remove.. vet thinks it may have been malignant but believes he removed it all... blood tests showed no signs of it going systemic though im still waiting to find out of the tumor was really malignant or not, i will find out in another week.. but even if it was she should be in the clear.. he had to remove one of her nipples though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts