Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a doggie that we saw with a collar he just came into our yard,and we can't take him in.Im really sad because i want to keep him until morning so we can look around for his owner.He just is going to wander off again by morning. Im sobbing and i love him and i don't want him getting hurt :'( :'( :'( He has a collar with no tags. I really really am upset because its about to rain and my parents wont let me keep him in the back yard and they wont call anyone or do anything. Hes so nice and i just am sobbing now,hes already wandered off again :(
I gave him food and water and my parents say i have to stay in now cause its dark.
Hes a dark brindle staffordshire terrier.He is 1-2 and pretty playful. He is pretty submissive and what if his owners are mean cause he has a collar with spikes on the outside.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Oh, my dear, I truly do feel your pain. It's so hard when you're young and you don't have the freedom/latitude to do what you feel is necessary to help the helpless creatures that come into your life. We've all been there.

It may help a bit to try to look at this encounter objectively, which means you have to take your emotions out of it, which I know is very difficult. Did the dog look uncared for? For instance, did he look malnourished/underfed, was he wounded or scarred or did he have fleas or ticks? Were his nails very long? When you're worried about a dog, and you're displaying obvious distress and crying, the dog picks up on that, which might account for some of the wary/submissive behavior. Try hard to maintain a positive, calm greeting behavior, because, after all, you are happy to see another dog, right? You can be sad for the dog, but keep it in your heart, for now.

I ask because it was only a couple of months ago that we had a dog appear out my office window where I'm sitting now, and I hurried out to see if I could call him over, which he did. He also had a collar on, but no tags, to my dismay. He was a very confident dog, however, compared to the one you found, and companionable and easygoing. He was in good lean shape, had no parasites, and it was clear he was well cared for. He seemed to feel that it would be perfectly okay if he came in the house too when I headed in that direction. :)

My husband and I live in a very small country town, so we decided we'd go down to the local watering hole (bar) and see if anyone recognized this dog. (Who hopped up happily into my pickup and sat in the passenger seat like he belonged there, so my husband decided to sit in the back! :D) One of the proprietors came out and took a couple of pictures of him to put on on FB and hopefully come up with some leads.

He had barely turned around to go back into the building when another pickup started driving past and a man poked his head out and asked if anyone had seen a dog! Yes! So we waved him over and the dog looked a little abashed when he heard his human's voice. It turns out that Leroy (the dog) felt that the village was his complete domain, though he had certainly gone a bit farther in his wanderings that day than he usually did. His owner was relieved and an obviously kind man and Leroy was happy to get into a more familiar pickup truck. All was well!

I say all that to hopefully assure you that not all strays are homeless and not all submissive seeming dogs are being abused, not that Leroy showed any propensity in that direction. If, unlike the above story, the dog is NOT in good condition, this is quite different. I too am an extremely sensitive person when it comes to the well-being of any companion animals, and will go nuclear if I come across cruelty or abusive behavior by people. When you're young, you can only do what you can do, when you can do it. Ignoring a stray is in a lot of adults DNA, unfortunately, though they have a child that would do the opposite is a blessing!

In that event, do you have any neighbors that would help an animal in need? Perhaps, if it's safe, you could speak to your nearby neighbors and find out if they could help you if there turn out to be any future incidents? Or even contact a humane society or animal protective league in your area? Get a phone list together on your own. Surely your parents cannot object to that. At the very least, you could contact the animal shelter (dog pound) run by your city or county and call them if there is another stray that shows up, which is the most responsible thing to do. An animal loose is not safe and could be hurt running out into traffic or could even be shot, so at the very least, it would be safe at the pound until their owner, hopefully, finds it again.

You have a huge heart, little miss, and my heart goes out to you. :huddle:

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at his teeth,they look very good and hes only missing one. His nails are short,his coat was good,and i gave him some water but he didn't take it much.He also took a treat,but not quickly.He looks well fed and very healthy and he was only a tiny bit skinny,the collar was like a belt collar with spikes on the outside (not sharp) and i made sure his collar wasn't too tight and it wasn't a prong collar,which it wasn't.He let me hug and pet him.
Mom said he seemed like he probably had a home somewhere close and knew where it was,because he seemed like he was walking in a certain direction .
He was playful and nice and liked me and my friends.He is really submissive sometimes towards other dogs.
I'm only twelve ,but i do tons of research on dogs and animals and i really love animals.It seemed like he walked away from other people,but he comes to me when i call for him and doesn't walk off with me around.
My friends say animals seem to like me more than there own ers and one of my friends says i have a gift.

Like sometimes,my neighbors dog,Max gets out and his owners and my friends try to tell him to go back or try to call for him and he wont come but i pointed to his house and said "Go home,Max" in a nice voice and he trotted home immediately.
Oh, my dear, I truly do feel your pain. It's so hard when you're young and you don't have the freedom/latitude to do what you feel is necessary to help the helpless creatures that come into your life. We've all been there.

It may help a bit to try to look at this encounter objectively, which means you have to take your emotions out of it, which I know is very difficult. Did the dog look uncared for? For instance, did he look malnourished/underfed, was he wounded or scarred or did he have fleas or ticks? Were his nails very long? When you're worried about a dog, and you're displaying obvious distress and crying, the dog picks up on that, which might account for some of the wary/submissive behavior. Try hard to maintain a positive, calm greeting behavior, because, after all, you are happy to see another dog, right? You can be sad for the dog, but keep it in your heart, for now.

I ask because it was only a couple of months ago that we had a dog appear out my office window where I'm sitting now, and I hurried out to see if I could call him over, which he did. He also had a collar on, but no tags, to my dismay. He was a very confident dog, however, compared to the one you found, and companionable and easygoing. He was in good lean shape, had no parasites, and it was clear he was well cared for. He seemed to feel that it would be perfectly okay if he came in the house too when I headed in that direction. :)

My husband and I live in a very small country town, so we decided we'd go down to the local watering hole (bar) and see if anyone recognized this dog. (Who hopped up happily into my pickup and sat in the passenger seat like he belonged there, so my husband decided to sit in the back! :D) One of the proprietors came out and took a couple of pictures of him to put on on FB and hopefully come up with some leads.

He had barely turned around to go back into the building when another pickup started driving past and a man poked his head out and asked if anyone had seen a dog! Yes! So we waved him over and the dog looked a little abashed when he heard his human's voice. It turns out that Leroy (the dog) felt that the village was his complete domain, though he had certainly gone a bit farther in his wanderings that day than he usually did. His owner was relieved and an obviously kind man and Leroy was happy to get into a more familiar pickup truck. All was well!

I say all that to hopefully assure you that not all strays are homeless and not all submissive seeming dogs are being abused, not that Leroy showed any propensity in that direction. If, unlike the above story, the dog is NOT in good condition, this is quite different. I too am an extremely sensitive person when it comes to the well-being of any companion animals, and will go nuclear if I come across cruelty or abusive behavior by people. When you're young, you can only do what you can do, when you can do it. Ignoring a stray is in a lot of adults DNA, unfortunately, though they have a child that would do the opposite is a blessing!

In that event, do you have any neighbors that would help an animal in need? Perhaps, if it's safe, you could speak to your nearby neighbors and find out if they could help you if there turn out to be any future incidents? Or even contact a humane society or animal protective league in your area? Get a phone list together on your own. Surely your parents cannot object to that. At the very least, you could contact the animal shelter (dog pound) run by your city or county and call them if there is another stray that shows up, which is the most responsible thing to do. An animal loose is not safe and could be hurt running out into traffic or could even be shot, so at the very least, it would be safe at the pound until their owner, hopefully, finds it again.

You have a huge heart, little miss, and my heart goes out to you. :huddle:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Please do not ever hug a strange dog. Ever, no matter how nice they seem! It isn't a gesture of reassurance to a dog.

Otherwise, if you spot him tomorrow roaming about, the best thing you can do is call animal control. If he's well cared for and it sounds like he is, he could be microchipped and can get back to his people ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
He could just be out for a stroll. My terrier used to occasionally get out of the yard, when he did I'd figure out how he got out and fix it, once out he'd go exploring but always knew his way home and would come back if he got tired of exploring before I noticed he's escaped. Hopefully the one you found goes home.

I had another dog I rescued, I knew her for awhile before I got her, she lived next to where I worked but her owner was lousy. She used to wander the streets if she got out of her yard and would come visit me. After her owner gave her to me I took her home, I lived a mile from her own home, she got out my yard and went back to where she used to live, it was a mile away and she'd never traveled the route before.

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just worried for her,and i didn't mean to say hugged,i just meant i petted him and loved on him.I have an entire topic on why you shouldn't hug a dog XD

I know he could just be out and about but i'm worried for him.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If he's well cared for he'll probably take himself back home. I've had two dogs do that before. Once we realized we put a stop to it and fixed the fence. Most dogs that wander around with a collar on will take themselves home :) It sounds like he was well cared for, probably just a little bored.

But it's good that you care so much, especially that young. I know it sucks being your age and not being able to do the things you think you should, but before you know it you'll have all the freedom you want. I know what it's like though. My parents seemed like a nightmare for dog loving me when I was twelve haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts