Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is like the third question I posted, I'm so so sorry, but I feel so overwhelmed to the point that sometimes I'm so frustrated I break out in tears. I feel really guilty for this, but when I'm not at home, I usually dread going home, and just try to lengthen my time out because... Well, I'm basically avoiding home and taking care of the puppy. Is this normal?

When I first wanted this puppy, I never expected that I would have to spend like half a day taking care of him, and I never expected this much work. I usually would have a lot of time to do whatever I wanted- watch YouTube, read, or just basically do nothing and stare at a wall, but now that I have a new addition, I can't do anything anymore.

I feel so bad, and I'm the one who wanted the dog in the first place, and my family has helped me so much in taking care of him...

...but I kind of want to return him to the breeder...?

I really hate myself for even thinking of this, every time I glance at that fluffy ball of happiness I always feel sooooo guilty for... I guess hating him. I don't know what to do.

Tl;dr: thought it was easy to take care of dog, underestimated the work, feeling overwhelmed, kind of want to return dog

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If you really hate him, return or rehome him as soon as possible for his benefit.
However, the extra work involved with raising a puppy does not last long. Any dog requires your time and some effort, but puppies do need extra work on top of that at the beginning.
It may not be the right time in your life to have a puppy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How long have you had him for? It sounds like a serious case of the puppy blues. I experienced them to, but they were gone by the time he turned 3 months.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
If you truly hate the dog and don't want to go home to him, please call the breeder and ask to return him or responsibly (not via FB or Craigslist) rehome him. The dog will feel this animosity and that's not fair to him.

With that said, if you put the work in now, you will have a loving companion for years to come. Once you get through his puppy stage, he will probably lay on the couch with you and watch YouTube videos. Since you like watching YouTube, watch some training videos (I like Kikopup) and train your pup. Get some basic obedience in and then move on to some tricks. Tricks are fun to practice, fun to do and fun for other people to watch.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So this is like the third question I posted, I'm so so sorry, but I feel so overwhelmed to the point that sometimes I'm so frustrated I break out in tears. I feel really guilty for this, but when I'm not at home, I usually dread going home, and just try to lengthen my time out because... Well, I'm basically avoiding home and taking care of the puppy. Is this normal?

When I first wanted this puppy, I never expected that I would have to spend like half a day taking care of him, and I never expected this much work. I usually would have a lot of time to do whatever I wanted- watch YouTube, read, or just basically do nothing and stare at a wall, but now that I have a new addition, I can't do anything anymore.

I feel so bad, and I'm the one who wanted the dog in the first place, and my family has helped me so much in taking care of him...

...but I kind of want to return him to the breeder...?

I really hate myself for even thinking of this, every time I glance at that fluffy ball of happiness I always feel sooooo guilty for... I guess hating him. I don't know what to do.

Tl;dr: thought it was easy to take care of dog, underestimated the work, feeling overwhelmed, kind of want to return dog
First of all, it's OK to return him to the breeder. He is young and the breeder will probably be able to re-home him at this point quite easily.

Puppies are a lot of work. A lot of work. And puppy depression is real. I'm convinced it's a version of postpartum depression but without all of the hormones and all that.

Puppyhood is not fun. That is not the point. The point is, as the owner, you put in a lot of work now to end up with a mature dog who is a good companion to you for many years. So you are basically investing six months of hell to end up with a good companion for 10+ years. I don't think we talk about this enough, we focus too much on how cute puppies are, know what I mean.

If you don't or can't put in to the work to end up with the desired outcome, then yes, you should rehome the dog to someone who can. It may be that you don't even want the final outcome either (a mature dog)

On the other hand, if you have people to help you, there is nothing wrong with taking some extra time out of the house away from the dog either.

In the other thread, it sounds like you haven't quite worked out your house training yet. You may find that things fall into place once you make some progress on that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Okay, I just checked out your profile, and it looks like you've only had him home for a couple of days.

You need to take a deep breath. I was balling my eyes out for the first 8 days. I was so overwhelmed with the new responsibility and contemplated returning him several times.

Puppyhood is hard, but it doesn't last that long. I've had Albus for 3 months, and I could not imagine not having him now.

It takes time getting to know your fluff ball, and you wont feel a connection instantly. It takes dedication and hard work.

When it all seems to much, try to look at the progress he is making. That really helped me. Small steps like now he goes 30 minutes without an accident. Now he has gone to the toilet 4 times outside since the last accident. Teach him basic obedience - that will strengthen your bond as well. If your family wants to help you, have them look after him from time to time and spend an hour doing "me-stuff".

Albus is 5 months old now, and I love him to bits. He is the best thing that ever happened to me, and I was exactly where you are now 2,5 months ago. When I had had him for a month things were already much better. And now he accepts the fact that I leave sometimes to go to the cinema/cafe/whatever.

Don't panic about your reading/youtube/staring into the wall. Soon he'll be more than happy to do that with you. Albus loves cuddling up next to me with a chewtoy while I binge watch series during the weekend, or read, or play games, or just listen to music while scratching him behind the ear - be careful never to forget the scratching!.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Oh my gosh. The number of times I cried when I brought home my Border Collie was insane. My Aussie was a year old at that point, and I never had any puppy blues with him.

Then we brought home Heidi, and I'm sure I cried at least once a day. I use to say we should return her, and whenever my husband asked me if I was serious, the thought of not having her broke my heart. Puppy blues are very tough, but they don't last forever.

My biggest advice is to give yourself an hour a day where you don't look after them. Both of my guys go in their crates for 1-2 hours in the afternoon. I take that time to do whatever I want (cleaning, working out, going for a walk, reading etc.) I started that when they were puppies, and I'm sure it has preserved my sanity.

Since he is so young, I would take him outside, make sure he urinates and defecates, pop him in his crate or ex-pen and give yourself an hour of not watching him a day.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
You've only had him for a couple of days?? Oh man, give it time!! You're still trying to figure each other out. :) Puppyhood is exhausting and can be frustrating. As many others have said.. if you put in the sweat and tears now, in 6 months or so, you'll have a great companion. Housebreaking completely sucks. There's nothing fun about cleaning pee or poop off of your floor... or even worse, stepping in it! BUT it really is a small amount of time in the life of your pup.

IMO, give it some more time but be honest with yourself about how much time and work you are willing to put in. Puppies are not for everyone. Maybe it makes more sense for you to get a dog that's 2 or 3 years old, housebroken, with some training under his belt. Maybe it makes more sense for you to have no dog right now. There's no judgement either way you choose. Just be fair to your dog.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you really hate him, return or rehome him as soon as possible for his benefit.
However, the extra work involved with raising a puppy does not last long. Any dog requires your time and some effort, but puppies do need extra work on top of that at the beginning.
It may not be the right time in your life to have a puppy.
the thing is I have mixed feelings. Somedays I love him to pieces but somedays I'm in a bad mood. I'm starting to think it's me, not him :/ I do get mood swings often

How long have you had him for? It sounds like a serious case of the puppy blues. I experienced them to, but they were gone by the time he turned 3 months.
I hope it gets better for me :)

If you truly hate the dog and don't want to go home to him, please call the breeder and ask to return him or responsibly (not via FB or Craigslist) rehome him. The dog will feel this animosity and that's not fair to him.

With that said, if you put the work in now, you will have a loving companion for years to come. Once you get through his puppy stage, he will probably lay on the couch with you and watch YouTube videos. Since you like watching YouTube, watch some training videos (I like Kikopup) and train your pup. Get some basic obedience in and then move on to some tricks. Tricks are fun to practice, fun to do and fun for other people to watch.
I've always wanted a dog, and I feel really bad gahh. I'm not gonna return him, I'm gonna try to put up with it for a while and see how it goes :3

First of all, it's OK to return him to the breeder. He is young and the breeder will probably be able to re-home him at this point quite easily.

Puppies are a lot of work. A lot of work. And puppy depression is real. I'm convinced it's a version of postpartum depression but without all of the hormones and all that.

Puppyhood is not fun. That is not the point. The point is, as the owner, you put in a lot of work now to end up with a mature dog who is a good companion to you for many years. So you are basically investing six months of hell to end up with a good companion for 10+ years. I don't think we talk about this enough, we focus too much on how cute puppies are, know what I mean.

If you don't or can't put in to the work to end up with the desired outcome, then yes, you should rehome the dog to someone who can. It may be that you don't even want the final outcome either (a mature dog)

On the other hand, if you have people to help you, there is nothing wrong with taking some extra time out of the house away from the dog either.

In the other thread, it sounds like you haven't quite worked out your house training yet. You may find that things fall into place once you make some progress on that.
well, I do want a good companion for 10+ years. I'm gonna try to live with it for a while :) I just like having someone to listen to me without responding, and I guess I'm used to being around pets since I was young (not a dog, though) and I guess it is kinda enjoyable to have my puppy around CX

Okay, I just checked out your profile, and it looks like you've only had him home for a couple of days.

You need to take a deep breath. I was balling my eyes out for the first 8 days. I was so overwhelmed with the new responsibility and contemplated returning him several times.

Puppyhood is hard, but it doesn't last that long. I've had Albus for 3 months, and I could not imagine not having him now.

It takes time getting to know your fluff ball, and you wont feel a connection instantly. It takes dedication and hard work.

When it all seems to much, try to look at the progress he is making. That really helped me. Small steps like now he goes 30 minutes without an accident. Now he has gone to the toilet 4 times outside since the last accident. Teach him basic obedience - that will strengthen your bond as well. If your family wants to help you, have them look after him from time to time and spend an hour doing "me-stuff".

Albus is 5 months old now, and I love him to bits. He is the best thing that ever happened to me, and I was exactly where you are now 2,5 months ago. When I had had him for a month things were already much better. And now he accepts the fact that I leave sometimes to go to the cinema/cafe/whatever.

Don't panic about your reading/youtube/staring into the wall. Soon he'll be more than happy to do that with you. Albus loves cuddling up next to me with a chewtoy while I binge watch series during the weekend, or read, or play games, or just listen to music while scratching him behind the ear - be careful never to forget the scratching!.
to be honest I actually spend the least time at home, because I have so much other things to do (and no, they are not optional/hobbies ahaha unlike reading/youtube/staring into the wall)

Oh my gosh. The number of times I cried when I brought home my Border Collie was insane. My Aussie was a year old at that point, and I never had any puppy blues with him.

Then we brought home Heidi, and I'm sure I cried at least once a day. I use to say we should return her, and whenever my husband asked me if I was serious, the thought of not having her broke my heart. Puppy blues are very tough, but they don't last forever.

My biggest advice is to give yourself an hour a day where you don't look after them. Both of my guys go in their crates for 1-2 hours in the afternoon. I take that time to do whatever I want (cleaning, working out, going for a walk, reading etc.) I started that when they were puppies, and I'm sure it has preserved my sanity.

Since he is so young, I would take him outside, make sure he urinates and defecates, pop him in his crate or ex-pen and give yourself an hour of not watching him a day.
okay :) I actually have like 3 hours where I'm not with him and I'm quite thankful that he is calm in his crate

You've only had him for a couple of days?? Oh man, give it time!! You're still trying to figure each other out. :) Puppyhood is exhausting and can be frustrating. As many others have said.. if you put in the sweat and tears now, in 6 months or so, you'll have a great companion. Housebreaking completely sucks. There's nothing fun about cleaning pee or poop off of your floor... or even worse, stepping in it! BUT it really is a small amount of time in the life of your pup.

IMO, give it some more time but be honest with yourself about how much time and work you are willing to put in. Puppies are not for everyone. Maybe it makes more sense for you to get a dog that's 2 or 3 years old, housebroken, with some training under his belt. Maybe it makes more sense for you to have no dog right now. There's no judgement either way you choose. Just be fair to your dog.
okay :) I've decided I'm gonna give it a few more days. He is actually not as bad as most puppies; he doesn't bark, whine, try to escape the crate and other puppy-like stuff.

I guess what I really am tired of is cleaning up his "accidents". Otherwise, it's all great :) I've actually taught him the command "crate" an hour ago and he sits when I tell him to :D

Now that I think about it my life used to be so boring before him, thanks for knocking some sense into me

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
@FluffyPuppy glad to hear it! Stick around these forums and ask lots of questions. We have SO many knowledgeable people here! :) Sounds like he's a smart guy! Are there any dog sports or dog activities that interest you?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@FluffyPuppy glad to hear it! Stick around these forums and ask lots of questions. We have SO many knowledgeable people here! :) Sounds like he's a smart guy! Are there any dog sports or dog activities that interest you?
yeah I've noticed :) this forum is really helpful, I think I'll stick around for the next few years, or maybe even for the next decade :D dogs live a long life :3

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of course it's you. He is just an innocent puppy. I'm glad you decided to give it some time. :)
yeah :) one day I'll look back at this with my dog all grown up and laugh about how I ever thought of bringing him back

·
Registered
442 Posts
Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better :)

It sounds like you are doing a good job, I can tell you really care about the little guy

And that is awesome he is calm in his crate! Count your lucky stars for that!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Can I ask how old you are?

I think things will work out. Remember, the puppy was taken away from the only life he knew and is trying to figure you out as well. Things take time. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can I ask how old you are?

I think things will work out. Remember, the puppy was taken away from the only life he knew and is trying to figure you out as well. Things take time. :)
eh, I'd rather not tell :'D hope you don't mind

yeah I think so too :) I just have to survive a few months of puppy hell and soon I'll have the bestest friend man has ever known

1 - 20 of 21 Posts