Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been visiting breeders recently. I have looked at different breeds and, while there are some good, conscientious breeders out there, I wonder why some others are breeding dogs. I have seen and heard things that just left me shaking my head. In some cases, the breeder/owners seemed to have good relationships with their dogs and didn't mistreat them but conditions were less than ideal.

Most recently, I visited a kennel, in my opinion, there were TOO many dogs. I don't know where they sleep but when I saw them, they were all outside, in the dirt, inside pens, or wire fencing. Like a lot of breeders I've met, the this one was elderly but had dogs that were still producing puppies. I don't think her dogs are being shown either. At the same time, she had several adults that she wanted to sell. I don't know how or if these dogs get sufficient attention or exercise. Some appeared to be in questionable health. I truly felt bad for these dogs.

In other instances, dogs appeared to be in good shape but clearly needed more exercise. In one particular case, the breeder mentioned that a couple of past dogs died from the same illness, which was not genetic, in nature but after seeing where the dogs were exercised, I could easily see why they were afflicted. I've seen puppies kept in areas where they cannot get traction, causing them to slip and potentially hurt their hips, and those were puppies from a "reputable" breeder. I'm really bothered by breeders who breed dogs, then sell them later on, when they're through with them. I always assumed that breeders kept dogs as pets, when they were done breeding but evidently, that's not the case. As long as the dogs are still being taken care of, while they're awaiting a new home, it's acceptable but in many instances, I don't believe that is the reality of the situation.

I'm usually excited to visit breeders but my recent experiences have been depressing.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
You don't understand why they breed dogs? The answer is simple: money.

There are many great breeders. But sadly, in my experience there seem to be more crappy breeders and puppy mills than good, truly reputable breeders. Many people who call themselves breeders don't really keep the dogs as pets, but rather as cash cows and livestock. It's quite upsetting.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Being a reputable / responsible breeder* is hard work, time consuming, and costs money. Not many people are up for that, unfortunately. I also think some people do think they're doing the right thing, but they're misguided. They think that behavioral or health issues are normal for the breed when, in fact, they're not. Or, they believe that because their dogs look healthy, they are.

I'm torn about breeders rehoming non-breeding dogs. In an ideal world, of course they would stay with the breeder forever. In the real world, however, breeders have time and monetary considerations and, in some cases, municipal regulations to follow. I try to look at breeders' programs holistically rather than picking apart single issues.

You said that the dogs you met weren't getting the attention they needed - wouldn't it be better for them to be placed in a home where they would get that attention?

* Everyone has different interpretations of what it means to be reputable or responsible, so plug in your own beliefs here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, they would be better off in homes where they could receive the attention they deserve. I guess, in that particular case that I mentioned, I wonder why this breeder accumulated so many dogs in the first place. The number of adult dogs that are available is, in my opinion, excessive, especially while there are new litters. Presumably, some of the dogs there were from her own breedings, so if she is not selling all of the puppies, or is just keeping too many, to breed then sell, without showing or earning any titles, or more importantly, giving the dogs the proper attention, then that is irresponsible.

I do agree completely, that some breeders believe they are doing right by the animals but are definitely misguided.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.