Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi people. I am new on the forum, but I am reasonably experienced with dogs. Now I want to get a dog ,, but I'm not sure whether the dog will be happy with my schedule.
I want a cocker spaniel, that is the only option I have. We don't have a dog shelter in my country, so adoption is out.
I am a student and I travel every week (sometimes every other week) to my home town and back by train. Its about a 2 hour ride. Would a dog be able to travel with me back and forth ?? Would it be too stressful for the dog?
All of the other things are pretty clear to me as I have kept a cocker spaniel, a golden retriever and a few mixed breeds i found on the street.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi people. I am new on the forum, but I am reasonably experienced with dogs. Now I want to get a dog ,, but I'm not sure whether the dog will be happy with my schedule.
I want a cocker spaniel, that is the only option I have. We don't have a dog shelter in my country, so adoption is out.
I am a student and I travel every week (sometimes every other week) to my home town and back by train. Its about a 2 hour ride. Would a dog be able to travel with me back and forth ?? Would it be too stressful for the dog?
All of the other things are pretty clear to me as I have kept a cocker spaniel, a golden retriever and a few mixed breeds i found on the street.
That all depends on the dog really, if they are raised doing that then they should be fine, unless its just a nervous dog in general. Also is it okay for dogs to travel by train where you are? Meaning are they allowed on it. It might be hard if there a puppy due to having to go potty, but you can also use a crate to travel if thats an option.
Also does the train take stops? 2 hours isn't that long but for a younger dog they may have to go or even stretch there legs.
It sounds like your going with a breeder so if and when you are looking for pup I would look for the puppy that has the calmest personality and is more laid back and hopefully that trait continues when it grows up. And it being a puppy it may be easier to get them used to it at a younger age, as long as nothing scary happens to ruin rides.
Sorry if my advice isnt helpful but its all i got :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That all depends on the dog really, if they are raised doing that then they should be fine, unless its just a nervous dog in general. Also is it okay for dogs to travel by train where you are? Meaning are they allowed on it. It might be hard if there a puppy due to having to go potty, but you can also use a crate to travel if thats an option.
Also does the train take stops? 2 hours isn't that long but for a younger dog they may have to go or even stretch there legs.
It sounds like your going with a breeder so if and when you are looking for pup I would look for the puppy that has the calmest personality and is more laid back and hopefully that trait continues when it grows up. And it being a puppy it may be easier to get them used to it at a younger age, as long as nothing scary happens to ruin rides.
Sorry if my advice isnt helpful but its all i got :)
The train stops 3 times minimum. I was planning on travelling with a carrier bag if i can find one big enough for a cocker. They are allowed on trains.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The train stops 3 times minimum. I was planning on travelling with a carrier bag if i can find one big enough for a cocker. They are allowed on trains.
The carrier would be a very good idea, you can even put puppy pads it in and when the train stops take the pup out to go potty. Look on amazon for bags (if you can where you live).
Sounds like it can work if your willing to put the time and effort into training.

Reactions: Razor

·
Registered
141 Posts
That travel, itself, is not a problem, provided the dog is calm and accustomed to the routine, and all laws/regulations allow for it.

I travel about 75 minutes on the bus twice a day, 4-5 days a week with my dog. No problem whatsoever. My previous dog would regularly take 4-5 hour flights with me and occasionally spend up to 8-12 hours on a plane, train, or boat. (That's a long time, by any measure, but a couple of hours is no big deal.)

As others have said, it just depends on the dog and whether you can take the time to get the dog used to it so that it is a positive experience.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Dogs love consistency in their lives, so if you acquire a young dog he or she should adapt to your travel schedule. I find interesting that dogs are allowed on trains, where you are, since they are absolutely not in the U.S. We would love to do a train trip with our dog, but with Amtrak in the U.S. its not going to happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dogs love consistency in their lives, so if you acquire a young dog he or she should adapt to your travel schedule. I find interesting that dogs are allowed on trains, where you are, since they are absolutely not in the U.S. We would love to do a train trip with our dog, but with Amtrak in the U.S. its not going to happen.
They are allowed, as long as they are crated, or the people around you say it is okay to let them out of the carrier.
The interesting thing is than no one really gives a damn about what you carry in our trains. I am from Macedonia by the way.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
As I said Amtrak won't allow dogs, but if they did, we would rent our own room/compartment, so she would not be a bother to others.

Back to your acquiring a dog, dogs are very adaptable. If your lifestyle includes a lot of traveling, with your dog, that is what he or she will adapt to and it will become part of your dogs lifestyle as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts