Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So A little background check about my dog:

His name is Rocko. I am not sure what breed he is, but my sister says he is a Maltichon. He doesn't really look like one to me. He's about 10 pounds, for a small dog he is pretty big compare to our Yorkie. He's about 3 or 4 years old I am not sure.

Here's the whole story:

So my mother brought Rocko here 2+ years ago. Apparently my mother told me that the dog was abused by his owner, at least that is what the person who gave Rocko to her told her. He was fine at first, he was really nice and sweet, very playful and energetic. After about awhile, he became more meaner, violent, and crazier. He was a pain.

He gets really violent when guest come to our place. He barks at them constantly, and tries to attack them as well. He's pretty dangerous especially towards kids. He's hurt 4 people already I think. It's come to the point where we have to put him in another room while in his dog house every time there are guests. Even then, he barks extremely loud and violently for the whole time and he tries to destroy the dog house so he can escape. He looks like a mess afterwards. The dog house is literally destroyed and easily escape-able now for the dog. I don't even walk him because of it. He hates people and he is too wild.

Rocko has a problem where every time someone (especially me and my brother) would leave the apartment to run some quick errands downstairs (like go to the store or help our grandparents take their stuff upstairs) he would come running towards the door crashing himself, jumping non stop and barking like a nut. He then starts licking and scraping the paint off the door. I tried moving him away but he gets really mad. I just put him in the dog house for a little bit until one of use comes back (which usually takes 2-5 minutes). He would proceed to bark constantly and try to destroy the dog house to escape. He's ran out of our place numerous times every time some of us(usually my mother) carelessly opens the door and me or my brother have to chase him all the way downstairs through 4 flights of stairs and take him home. He even went straight outside one time chasing some random stranger.

There are still more problems, but it's late, and I think I've cover the worse stuff already.

He also has a tendency to bark at the door every time there is a little bit noise outside our apartment (like someone opening their door, or walking downstairs, or just talking with some other person). I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing, but I'll tell you one thing, it's really annoying. he does it all the time. I just wish he'd just stop when i tell him to.

He pees constantly. I know, I was expecting that since we do not walk him, but he pees differently than he usually does. He makes small/medium pee marks in random parts of the apartment whenever he is left alone. It's like he's marking his territory or something. All I know is that he's not doing it because of urges or because he has to. He's doing it doing on purpose. Just yesterday I was in the bathroom so he was by himself, when I came out there were 9 different pee spots all over the place. He already peed before that. It's not that the spots are random, they are usually in the same 10 spots every time he does that. It drives me nuts, I don't know what to do.

Rocko always bothers the other animals constantly. It's worse when he's in the mood. He keeps trying hump my cats and my other dog. He keeps trying to lick my other dog's privates and whenever he's in the mood, I have to keep the other dog in the room all day because it's a female. He then stays outside of the room jumping, licking and scraping the door, damaging it in the process. He gets really nasty and vicious when ever we try to stop him.

I don't know what to do. I can't Neuter and spay the dogs because it's really expensive and my mother doesn't have money and even then I don't think she would do it. She doesn't really care about it neither does my sister because they are in another room where Rocko isn't even allowed to go in there. They stay there all day and expect me because I'm in the living room most of the day to deal with him. They also get mad at me when I'm having a breakdown because the dog is constantly being nuisance and is driving me crazy. We also can't get a dog trainer because we don't have the kind of mind to pay $60-100/hr for a trainer. I can't give him away either. I don't have any power or authority where I live to do that.

I could try to train him myself, but I don't know anything about dogs and people keep saying that training an adult dog is a lost cause and it's too late so I guess I'm stuck with him like this forever.

It's all my fault. It only I've trained him the second my mother brought him here. I've created a monster. Is there anything I can do to keep my sanity?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
sounds like a really nervous dog with a lot of pent up energy.
the humping is probably not only sexually, when he also does to to the cats. It it's proably more nervousness.
this also explaines why he barks so much.

first thing I'd to is bring him to the vet and see if everything was fine with him.
if he's physically okay, go with him for walks.
every day at least one hour. You don't need money to do that.
I suppose he's not good on the leash, so take a harness, so that he doesn't hurt himself when he pulls too much.

the places where he pees...clean them with a anti dog urine cleaner, so that he's not able to smell where he did his business before.
everytime you see him lift his leg: bring him outside fast enough so he can't pee inside the house.
essentially: larn to be fast that he is.
same with barking: stop and redirect him (toy, treat) before he even goes in full barking mode.

if he bites: condition him to a muzzle for situations like when you get visitors or when you've got to go to the vet with him...but don't let him wear it all day please.

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
How old are you? Just curious
I can't see how this could possibly be relevant

I agree that the humping is likely nervous behavior. He sounds like a very reactive dog and if he's hurting people I would immediately get in touch with an animal behaviorist or a good trainer who does positive reinforcement to try to get him to a place where he can be around other people. I wouldn't train this dog yourself. That will likely make matters worse, I certainly wouldn't trust myself to train this dog as I'm not a trained behaviorist or trainer.

·
Registered
917 Posts
A dog is never too old to learn and be trained. It may be harder and take more time depending on the dog but it can be done.

If both your dogs are intact that could be causing a lot of problems. At the least I'd look into getting the female spayed. Depending where you are there may be some low cost spay/neuter clinics around. Look online or call some shelters.
You dog sounds like he has separation anxiety and he is nervous/has no confidence. The peeing inside could be separation anxiety and marking. It's going to be some work to get him to a calm state. Maybe break down the bad behaviors and then try to come up with a plan to work them out. Try not to push him too fast, or get upset if something doesn't work right away.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
i think in this situation it could be relevant, because the OP said s/he has no authority when it comes to money decisions, which includes vet care and working with a trainer.
this makes me think that OP is probably very young, which makes dealing with such a dog very difficult.

some vets allow you to pay in instalments instead of everything in ones.
I'd also atleast spay the female.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I really think that spaying the female should be done ASAP. You don't want to end up with an opps litter. It can take a lot of work to keep a male away from a female in heat. They can not be left alone at all. Not even if you need to use the bathroom. It takes some dedication. All it takes in a minute, less than a minute really. It will also make training your male more difficult because he may be distracted. He may also be more aggressive feeling he needs to protect her.
I have nothing about people keeping intact animals as long as they can care for them. But it can be more work sometimes.

·
Registered
438 Posts

I agree that the humping is likely nervous behavior. He sounds like a very reactive dog and if he's hurting people I would immediately get in touch with an animal behaviorist or a good trainer who does positive reinforcement to try to get him to a place where he can be around other people. I wouldn't train this dog yourself. That will likely make matters worse, I certainly wouldn't trust myself to train this dog as I'm not a trained behaviorist or trainer.

The OP was talking about living with his parents and sister etc. If he's 14 years old and the primary care taker of the dog, I'm not going to advise him to get a behaviorist, drive to see a trainer and other things he can't afford or have the means to do.

That is how it's relevant. @cos

·
Registered
273 Posts
I work full time, am a college student AND I have an 8 month old puppy. I had saved up a lot before I got him, and saved up to get him neutered. I've taken him to vaccination clinics for low cost vaccines and go to my vet for exams. I just got him neutered at 8 months and went to a humane society clinic that does low cost spay and neutering. It was $180 over all and definitely feasible after saving up a bit.

I also second lots of walks! Exercise helps a lot with frustrating behaviors. As for peeing, tether him to you everywhere you go in the house and if he's not in sight, crate him.

I love how Dr Yin handles this dog's reactiveness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCl6ndLN7Q

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think it is perfectly understandable that you are feeling overwhelmed. It sounds to me like you are being asked to care for an animal without having access to the necessary tools. It's almost an impossible situation.

I agree that fixing at least the female would be highly desirable. It's certainly possible to keep intact animals in the same household, but like the others said, you have to watch them every second. If the legal owner of the dog refuses to rehome it and refuses to spay/neuter and refuses to hire a trainer, I hope they will at least get the dog a vet visit to make sure some of those behavioral problems are not the result of an infection or other medical condition.

If I were stuck in this situation and decided to try to make the best of it, I would do the following:

1: Hit the library and get Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson and Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor. Read up so you can be your own dog trainer. There are lots of resources online as well, just make sure you avoid dominance-based training - stick to stuff that is based on science. If you can't hire someone, then your only choice is to learn the theory yourself.

2: Get a harness like the others suggested and walk the dog. Read about loose leash walking and leash reactivity later - for now just make sure the dog gets walked. Even if the walking is miserable, it helps. A short walk is better than no walk but aim for at least 30 minutes a day.

3: Come up with a management plan for each of the problem behaviors. If the dog can't behave around company, then keep him away from company. If the dog is peeing everywhere, don't leave him unsupervised for a second. Management doesn't mean you are trying to fix the behavior; you are just trying to keep him from harming himself or others and practicing the bad behaviors.

4: Re-crate train. It sounds like he is super stressed even in his crate. I would start at the beginning on crate training (ASPCA has a good protocol online) and focus on making the crate a pleasant and safe experience for him. I realize there may be times when he has to be contained and you just can't stay with him, but you won't be able to get anywhere with his anxiety if he is not comfortable in his crate. You might need to come up with some solution other than a crate, just to give him a "safe place" where he can go to be calm. Look up resources on separation anxiety and try working on that first before you treat the other issues.

5: Schedule time each day to work with him and build a bond with him. Just try to get him relaxed around you. Maybe feed him his dinner piece by piece or do some "doggy zen" exercises (again, Google is your friend) but do something with him that will get him used to looking to you for direction. It will provide a foundation from which you can work on the other behaviors.

Whatever you decide to do, it is not going to be easy. I hope things turn out. Don't hesitate to keep posting questions.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Rocko is in serious need of training. If you absolutely can not afford a trainer, how about going to the local library and checking out some books on how to train dogs. Seems you have the time, but need some instructional support, which you could certainly get from the right books. Perhaps the library staff could help point you to the appropriate books.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts