Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought home an 8-week old Shih Tzu puppy last week (from a reputable breeder) He's gorgeous, a total mushball

I'm not new to dogs. We had a small terrier for 15 years who died earlier this year, who I raised from a puppy. Before him, we had a Shih Tzu rescue who we adopted at the age of 8 and had for 5 wonderful years. So I am not new to the joy of dogs or to their demands.

I guess I thought that I was an expert of sorts and experienced enough and that the puppy blues wouldn't hit me. But they have. I don't work outside the home, so I have plenty of time to train him and get the rest of my work done. So I'm not sure what my problem is.

I guess I'm disappointed with myself for getting the blues. I'm telling myself just to hang on until Christmas and by then house training will be well underway if not complete and things will start to fall into place.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Cute puppy!! If you're getting depressed you may be tired. Try napping when the puppy naps or at least lay down and rest. Maybe you'll feel better. My two dogs have me up super early but after an hour or two, they both nap for a couple of hours and sometimes I join them. I don't work outside the home anymore, so that makes it easy for me to sleep when I can. Best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
We brought home an 8-week old Shih Tzu puppy last week (from a reputable breeder) He's gorgeous, a total mushball

I'm not new to dogs. We had a small terrier for 15 years who died earlier this year, who I raised from a puppy. Before him, we had a Shih Tzu rescue who we adopted at the age of 8 and had for 5 wonderful years. So I am not new to the joy of dogs or to their demands.

I guess I thought that I was an expert of sorts and experienced enough and that the puppy blues wouldn't hit me. But they have. I don't work outside the home, so I have plenty of time to train him and get the rest of my work done. So I'm not sure what my problem is.

I guess I'm disappointed with myself for getting the blues. I'm telling myself just to hang on until Christmas and by then house training will be well underway if not complete and things will start to fall into place.
I went through that with my current dog. I honestly thought I was immune to puppy blues. Shadow I raised from a puppy and I never had the blues with him. Around a month after that I got a Mac, a kitten, and didn't have the blues. 3 years later I rescued Jersey, who was around 2 years old, and no blues. A few months later I got another kitten and once again I was fine.

Fast forward 15 years, and the last of that crew, Shadow, had passed away at the age of 17years 8 months, it was 6 months later and my friend gave Zody to me and I was blindsided to get the blues. I'd look at him and think why, why did I get you? While I cared about him, and would have fought anyone who tried to harm him, I was far from loving him. I think what made the blues worse was that I felt so little for him, and looking back I think I just wanted my 2 old dogs back, and I know he wanted to go back to the person I got him from whom he adored.

It took time, a lot of tome, to get over feeling that way. It got a bit better after a couple months, but a solid 6 months to really be completely better. Now he's my baby boy, and I adore him with all my heart. I think it'll be easier for you since your puppy is going to love you right from the start unlike my Zody who had decided he'd wait for my friend to come back for him and that I'd do as some sort of servant.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cute puppy!! If you're getting depressed you may be tired. Try napping when the puppy naps or at least lay down and rest. Maybe you'll feel better. My two dogs have me up super early but after an hour or two, they both nap for a couple of hours and sometimes I join them. I don't work outside the home anymore, so that makes it easy for me to sleep when I can. Best of luck.
Thanks McCourt! You're right, I am tired. Sooo tired.

I'll have to work in some naps. My tendency is try to pick up the house when he settles but I should prioritize a nap as well :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went through that with my current dog. I honestly thought I was immune to puppy blues. Shadow I raised from a puppy and I never had the blues with him. Around a month after that I got a Mac, a kitten, and didn't have the blues. 3 years later I rescued Jersey, who was around 2 years old, and no blues. A few months later I got another kitten and once again I was fine.

Fast forward 15 years, and the last of that crew, Shadow, had passed away at the age of 17years 8 months, it was 6 months later and my friend gave Zody to me and I was blindsided to get the blues. I'd look at him and think why, why did I get you? While I cared about him, and would have fought anyone who tried to harm him, I was far from loving him. I think what made the blues worse was that I felt so little for him, and looking back I think I just wanted my 2 old dogs back, and I know he wanted to go back to the person I got him from whom he adored.

It took time, a lot of tome, to get over feeling that way. It got a bit better after a couple months, but a solid 6 months to really be completely better. Now he's my baby boy, and I adore him with all my heart. I think it'll be easier for you since your puppy is going to love you right from the start unlike my Zody who had decided he'd wait for my friend to come back for him and that I'd do as some sort of servant.
Thanks Rain, glad to hear I'm not alone in this. It was 15 years in between getting our last dog and this dog. Could just be age too, I am 15 years older now as well!

I like this puppy, but I don't love him yet. I know I will, and I think he will turn out to be a great dog after he is trained and all that.

I'm at the stage right now where I am like, Oh, you're really cute, but did I really need another dog? ;)

·
Registered
324 Posts
It took me a good 3-4 months to finally feel like I loved my dog. Got him at 8 weeks and I was crying daily forever. I finally realized when he was 5 months old that I was starting to bond with him. He is now 7 months old and I can finally say I totally love him :) I am sure the fact that he is house trained, calm, and just a love has nothing to do with it ;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It took me a good 3-4 months to finally feel like I loved my dog. Got him at 8 weeks and I was crying daily forever. I finally realized when he was 5 months old that I was starting to bond with him. He is now 7 months old and I can finally say I totally love him :) I am sure the fact that he is house trained, calm, and just a love has nothing to do with it ;)
Thanks for your nice message :)

Yes calm and potty trained sounds wonderful!

Puppyhood is not for the weak lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same situation here. Lost the love of my life (boxer) in January and normally I'm eager for the excuse to get a new dog but after losing him, figured I'd stick with just my two. Six months later something told me to rescue another (partly because my two current dogs have 10 years between them and I thought a playmate for the younger one would be nice, and partly because I thought it might fill the hole in my heart a little).

10 weeks ago I brought home a new dog and even though he was cute, funny, cuddly, and a great dog, I didn't feel anything for him. After several weeks of that I figured maybe I would never love another dog so deeply again because it hurts so much to lose them, but the other day I said to my husband "It's happening - I'm falling in love with Jackson." For me I believe it was a combination of not wanting to let down the protective wall around my heart and also feeling like I would be cheating on my deceased dog if I loved another one. Silly, I know, but I'm sure plenty here can relate.

It'll happen - when your head and heart are ready for it to.
Sue

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same situation here. Lost the love of my life (boxer) in January and normally I'm eager for the excuse to get a new dog but after losing him, figured I'd stick with just my two. Six months later something told me to rescue another (partly because my two current dogs have 10 years between them and I thought a playmate for the younger one would be nice, and partly because I thought it might fill the hole in my heart a little).

10 weeks ago I brought home a new dog and even though he was cute, funny, cuddly, and a great dog, I didn't feel anything for him. After several weeks of that I figured maybe I would never love another dog so deeply again because it hurts so much to lose them, but the other day I said to my husband "It's happening - I'm falling in love with Jackson." For me I believe it was a combination of not wanting to let down the protective wall around my heart and also feeling like I would be cheating on my deceased dog if I loved another one. Silly, I know, but I'm sure plenty here can relate.

It'll happen - when your head and heart are ready for it to.
Sue
Thanks for your sweet message Sue. :) It is hard when you are sad about losing another dog as well. Lots of big feelings. Glad your new pup is working out!

This thread helped me a lot, so thank you everyone. I took the pressure off myself to love love love him right now. And just focus on caring for him. And now I think this little guy is working his way into my heart :dog-love:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to update this thread (for the record lol!)

So at the end of last week, six weeks to the day we brought him home, I realized that I am head over heels for this dog. I absolutely adore him.

He's pretty much housetrained. I still gate him in the kitchen if we have to go out and at night he is still in the exercise pen in our room. But he is doing great with that. Especially for a Shih Tzu who have a reputation for being hard to train.

He lost that squirmy, crazy puppyness and I can see the beauty of his breed coming out now. He's coming into himself.

Anyway, we are all over the moon now. Not going to lie, there were some nights I was ready to give him a one-way drive back to the breeder! My advice to anyone getting a puppy would be to give yourself a solid six weeks, at least, before you make any decisions about whether it was a mistake or not (unless of course you are in an urgent situation) And don't guilt yourself into feeling that you should have some great love for the dog right in the beginning. Just focus on training and getting to know each other

Thanks again to everyone who replied to this :huddle:

·
Registered
15 Posts
@KateBren

Just read all your posts here. I feel exactly the same way as you... the guilt of not falling in love. I still need to figure out if I can be a dog owner for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm sure you'll end up with lots and lots of love - in my experience it's the special ones, the ones that challenge you, who brings you the most joy in the end. Just hang in there, be sure to get som sleep and never mind the house - it's actually not important at all. But you are. And so are the ones you care for - like your mushball :) The best thing is that you know it'll get easier, because you're experienced. Just remember this and wait for it to kick in.

Best of luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts