Dog Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first time dog owner. A few months ago, I recently "adopted" three dogs - a corgi, a boxer-pug mix, and a dachshund. I will be taking care of them over the next three years while their actual owners are living overseas.

On normal weather days (I'm from California), I take them on walks separately as they each walk at significantly different paces. Which can be incredibly time consuming considering that I'm a full-time college student and working part time.

However for some strange reason they don't like using our huge back yard to potty during rainy days like today. So I have to take them out on walks more than usual.

I walked all three today at the same time. My hands were full and I was frustrated because they kept tangling the leashes and my corgi likes to tug aggressively even after training her not to. She pooped on this person's yard and I didn't pick it up. A man opened the front door and yelled "Pick that sh*t up! I don't want that sh*t on my yard!"

Yes I was being irresponsible. I've never been scolded by a stranger before for anything so I was incredibly embarrassed. I told him I was sorry and I picked it up.

After that I came across this really friendly old man and my boxer-pug and dachshund attacked him while we were having small talk.

Do I deserve to own a dog if it's this hard for me to control them? There are so many things to know about owning a dog and I feel guilty about being ignorant.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm really wondering how you came to this arrangement. Are they a friend's or relative's dogs? Honestly I think one dog for a first time do gowned who is a full time college student can feel overwhelming, nonetheless 3 that don't sound trained or that friendly. I really think you should see if there are other options for these dogs because unless you're willing to dedicate a good deal of time training them, this sounds like a miserable 3 years for you.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Even though I have a dog, one of my biggest pet peeves when I'm walking her, when I'm out running or when we're hiking is when I see dog poop on the ground. I also had a neighbor who allowed her dog to roam the neighborhood freely and the dog ALWAYS pooped in my yard. It's incredibly frustrating. I understand that your hands were full but you need to figure out a way.

I understand that they are not your dogs but if you're going to have them for a length of time, I recommend seeking out a Positive Reinforcement dog trainer to help you.

I also suggest that you hire a dog walker to help or enlist a friend to walk with you.

I am surprised that your friend left three dogs for a long amount of time with someone who hasn't ever owned a dog. That's definitely not a dig at you- kudos for taking them on!

I think you've taken on a huge task but with some time and money invested in training, it's not impossible.

Best of luck and ask any questions you need on here. There are SO many knowledgeable and helpful members here! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are a relative's dogs. I do pick up their poop always but today I didn't knew what came over me. I didn't know how potentially dangerous it is to leave dog poop on the ground but I'm learning all of these things so quickly!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I think you're going to need to walk them separately. I'm very experienced with dogs and I can't walk two dogs at once without complications (even my dog who is good on a leash paired with my former foster who was elderly), let alone three. This will take longer but soften your load and make your walks safer and manageable.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Folks could be nicer though, really. I once ran out of bags, would have and did go back to pick it up, but was subjected to a volley of unprintable abuse while I was in the act of hoping to find a bag in the garbage strewn grassy verge (none found), part of the abuse was this man swearing that my dog 'defecated' on his lawn each every day, which was impossible, since it was the 1st time I ran out of bags and probably the 1st time my dog even pooped on his lawn. My husband, kind heart, went back to pick it up.
Anyway, you have my sympathies. Two wrongs don't make a right, and everyone makes mistakes now and again.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I can walk my three dogs by myself. Everyone just has to keep pace with the slowest dog, which is my basset hound. I've been able to break him of some bad habits he does when my BF walks him so we don't walk as slow. But it can be frustrating, especially for the first five or ten minutes, then we get in a groove and it goes much better. But I've worked with them all and we have all learned to work together. It takes time and work, for now it's probably best to walk them one by one.
I agree with Aspen, people not picking up after their dogs is a pet peeve of mine too. I know sometimes things happen, you run out of bags or whatever. But as you learned, most people will scream and yell. It isn't right, but that is the way some people are.I even had one man yell when my dog peed on a post near the curb. He screamed 'are you gonna pick that up????' I asked him for a shovel. I've even picked up other dogs messes while cleaning up after my own dogs. Leave it there makes it look bad on all dog owners.
IMO when you have dogs you need to watch them at all times when out on a walk. Even when talking to someone, you need one eye on the dog. I've talked to people while my back was to them keeping an eye on my dane at the flea market. No one seems to be offended by it.
But these are all things you learn, you can't know everything about having dogs. You will make some mistakes a long the way. Try not to get discouraged.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah, while accidents happen with 3 dogs it's really important you be aware of the behavior that you're showing to the outside world. It's not fun getting yelled at, however, for people with low immune systems or with children/grandchildren poop is a really, really big deal. You may also want to be careful because some towns have made not cleaning up dog poop a mistomener.

As far as walking the 3 dogs at once, the dogs sound like the same size, can you use a leash splitter?

3-Way Coupler Leash by Zack & Zoey - Jet Black at BaxterBoo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the recommendation! They are medium sized dogs. My boxerpug sometimes unknowingly urinates on the other two if they just so happened to be right next to each other. So I have to keep them apart from each other.

Here's a picture of them just to get some perspective

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
ive always worried when i didnt have the poo bags on me but never got abuse yet about it. However i try make sure i have plenty on me and a roll in my handbag.

Reactions: Cynna

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Sounds like you have your hands full. I bet you won't forget your poop bags in the future.

Walking them one at a time is probably best. Easier to manage and less poop bags to carry.

More concerning to me is the two dogs going after the man you were talking to. Hope that you can learn from that incident. Keep a safe distance now that you know this might happen.

Take a look in the training and behavior stickies for some good articles, videos and other resources on dog training. With three dogs and as a first time dog owner you need to get up to speed fast. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Even though I have a dog, one of my biggest pet peeves when I'm walking her, when I'm out running or when we're hiking is when I see dog poop on the ground. I also had a neighbor who allowed her dog to roam the neighborhood freely and the dog ALWAYS pooped in my yard. It's incredibly frustrating. I understand that your hands were full but you need to figure out a way.

I understand that they are not your dogs but if you're going to have them for a length of time, I recommend seeking out a Positive Reinforcement dog trainer to help you.

I also suggest that you hire a dog walker to help or enlist a friend to walk with you.

I am surprised that your friend left three dogs for a long amount of time with someone who hasn't ever owned a dog. That's definitely not a dig at you- kudos for taking them on!

I think you've taken on a huge task but with some time and money invested in training, it's not impossible.

Best of luck and ask any questions you need on here. There are SO many knowledgeable and helpful members here! :)
Agreed with everything but hiking. When hiking in the woods, it's fair game and I never pick up in this scenario. It's off trail, it's not on anyone's front lawn and it will be recycled quite fast.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Agreed with everything but hiking. When hiking in the woods, it's fair game and I never pick up in this scenario. It's off trail, it's not on anyone's front lawn and it will be recycled quite fast.
Our local forest has a sign that says "please keep dog waste off the trail" Love it.
Unfortunately, we still get people who stoop scoop and leave the bag behind, sometimes hanging from a tree, sometimes at the gate-yuck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bah, don't feel bad. You knew your mistake, the man didn't have to yell at you like that. He could've been nice and given you a bag or something. Oh well. I was once walking my dog, and a bunch of guys in a yard were staring at me as I was going by, and then they backed their car out as I was passing by the driveway, honked, and yelled at me in spanish. (I didn't see that the car was even on at all because of the loud music and snow. The woman in the car did stop in time and did not hit me though)

I despise that house now and hate going by it, so I try to avoid it knowing there are such rude people there. However, that was a one time incident, and things like shouldn't ruin yours, or my, walks with our dogs! Just remember the bag next time, walk them one at a time, and you'll be fine!

·
Registered
880 Posts
@camper - I should have been more clear. I meant ON the trail.
We play hockey with those. Seriously, pick up a stick, move it aside, the more enthusiasm the further it travels. We wouldn't leave a turdle on the trail either.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
214 Posts
My boxerpug sometimes unknowingly urinates on the other two if they just so happened to be right next to each other. So I have to keep them apart from each other.
This made me laugh so hard! Our two are fairly close in size, with the boy about an inch shorter. About 5 times now they've been curious about the same bush, and while our girl is sniffing it, our boy sprays it down and bam - right across Finlay's face.
We joke that she loves her 'GoldenShowers' perfume, and thinks she's glamorous when she wears it. ;)

http://www.dogforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Reactions: cpbd
1 - 17 of 17 Posts