Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so, I posted here yesterday about wanting to take my dog back to the shelter because I can't deal with the behaviors he is starting to show, which are barking at everyone in the street non-stop, growling at people, growling at the window and growling at me.

Yesterday I made the decision to take him back after crying during the hole afternoon. My mom told me she doesn't want the dog to stay either, because she is afraid he is going to start being aggressive with me. She was the one that had to talk with the shelter because I couldn't stop crying over the guilt I was feeling and still feel. Everything went smoothly. The lady from the shelter said that it's okay and that would contact us later because she had to call management to see where they could fit him. During the episode I was having, my boyfriend helped me to understand that the dog really isn't a good fit, that I was being responsible for admitting that I can't take care of him and that I had no fault. I feel better now.

However, something happened today. The lady that usually takes him to the vet and occasionally gives him money called me. She doesn't work at the shelter, but she likes the dog and helps him when she can. Please note that I am a minor, I'm going to be 18 soon, so my mother was the legal owner of the dog and the person responsable to sign him over. So, she called me and said that she heard that I was giving Luka back and asked why. This is basically the conversation.

Me: he is having these issues and I think he needs to be in a house with experienced dog owners and I don't think we are a good fit.
Lady: well, he didn't have this issues before! We would walk him perfectly fine and he didn't bark nor growl.
Me: yes, I don't doubt it, but he is being like this so...
Lady: we don't have anywhere to put him because we received more dogs, I would have to contact an hotel!
Me: okay, I am able to take him if you can't.
Lady: the problem ISN'T taking him there, I live 5 min away from you, the problem is the space!!!! You know, I am upset because you didn't pay any attention when I was giving you advice on how to take care of him.

From now on she was kind of passive-aggressive, and even when I offered them food and other dog supplies, she raised her voice and said that food is never the issue. Then why do they ask for donations? I called my mom in tears and explained the situation. She said that she would talk to the shelter and to that lady. Idk, I feel so guilty and I think that I don't deserve to look for another dog after this is over...

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to talk to you guys cause you've been giving me a lot of support....

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts
I don't think it was fair of her to guilt-trip you.

First, as you said you were not the legal guardian.

Second, I think you said in another post that the dog was on a trial period. That's what trials are FOR, at the end you make your decision.

Sometimes when people are stressed, they say things they wouldn't have said when they are calm. Maybe that's why she was like that (not making excuses, just offering a possible explanation).

Don't be pressured into doing something you don't want to do.

·
Registered
564 Posts
That’s really unprofessional. As I understood it you were still in the trial period. So they should be prepared to take the dog back. I understand that they might feel pressure because of too many dogs and too little space but if you give out a dog for a trial period you need to be prepared that the dog comes back...

It’s really up to them to solve it but if you have the possibility to keep the dog until they’re able to take him in again that might help. If it doesn’t take too long.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I totally agree with you. The lady told me that I would have to stay with the dog until Saturday, but my mother called the shelter to complain (she was really upset that they called me and not her) and she told me she wants Luka to go as fast as possible because we aren't able to deal with this anymore.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think the shelter have been unfair. As you said this was a trial hey should have made sure that there was always a space ready to take him back.

It takes a lot to admit when you cant cope and to do the right thing you do not deserve to be guilt tripped for that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am sorry the process has been so traumatic for you. It shouldn't be like this.

The worker at the shelter is not professional. The shelter should take the dog back if it's not working out and you have given the dog an earnest chance to adapt to your home.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Hi, so, I posted here yesterday about wanting to take my dog back to the shelter because I can't deal with the behaviors he is starting to show, which are barking at everyone in the street non-stop, growling at people, growling at the window and growling at me.

Yesterday I made the decision to take him back after crying during the hole afternoon. My mom told me she doesn't want the dog to stay either, because she is afraid he is going to start being aggressive with me. She was the one that had to talk with the shelter because I couldn't stop crying over the guilt I was feeling and still feel. Everything went smoothly. The lady from the shelter said that it's okay and that would contact us later because she had to call management to see where they could fit him. During the episode I was having, my boyfriend helped me to understand that the dog really isn't a good fit, that I was being responsible for admitting that I can't take care of him and that I had no fault. I feel better now.

However, something happened today. The lady that usually takes him to the vet and occasionally gives him money called me. She doesn't work at the shelter, but she likes the dog and helps him when she can. Please note that I am a minor, I'm going to be 18 soon, so my mother was the legal owner of the dog and the person responsable to sign him over. So, she called me and said that she heard that I was giving Luka back and asked why. This is basically the conversation.

Me: he is having these issues and I think he needs to be in a house with experienced dog owners and I don't think we are a good fit.
Lady: well, he didn't have this issues before! We would walk him perfectly fine and he didn't bark nor growl.
Me: yes, I don't doubt it, but he is being like this so...
Lady: we don't have anywhere to put him because we received more dogs, I would have to contact an hotel!
Me: okay, I am able to take him if you can't.
Lady: the problem ISN'T taking him there, I live 5 min away from you, the problem is the space!!!! You know, I am upset because you didn't pay any attention when I was giving you advice on how to take care of him.

From now on she was kind of passive-aggressive, and even when I offered them food and other dog supplies, she raised her voice and said that food is never the issue. Then why do they ask for donations? I called my mom in tears and explained the situation. She said that she would talk to the shelter and to that lady. Idk, I feel so guilty and I think that I don't deserve to look for another dog after this is over...

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to talk to you guys cause you've been giving me a lot of support....
You did the absolute right thing! Don’t let this experience ruin it for the future. I’m so sorry it didn’t work out. But anyone that knows anything about dog ownership knows if you and your pup are not a good fit the best thing you can do is re-home him or send back to the shelter. It saves you and the pup a lot of pain and grief. You did a very hard but mature thing.

I know from dealing with them myself, the shelters are stressed out and overworked but that woman had no right to treat you like that especially being a minor!

Anyway don’t let it discourage from adopting again. Even Cesar Milan would tell you that! If you’re planning on getting another pup maybe you and your mom can pick it out together so he/she is right for both of you. Watch YouTube videos on how to pick a dog thats right for your household. They’ll tell you what to look for and how to spot behavior problems.

Good luck!!! 🐶❤

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts
You did the absolute right thing! Don’t let this experience ruin it for the future. I’m so sorry it didn’t work out. But anyone that knows anything about dog ownership knows if you and your pup are not a good fit the best thing you can do is re-home him or send back to the shelter. It saves you and the pup a lot of pain and grief. You did a very hard but mature thing.

I know from dealing with them myself, the shelters are stressed out and overworked but that woman had no right to treat you like that especially being a minor!

Anyway don’t let it discourage from adopting again. Even Cesar Milan would tell you that! If you’re planning on getting another pup maybe you and your mom can pick it out together so he/she is right for both of you. Watch YouTube videos on how to pick a dog thats right for your household. They’ll tell you what to look for and how to spot behavior problems.

Good luck!!! 🐶❤
Well said - although I wouldn't look to Cesar Milan on choosing a laundry detergent, never mind a dog. I don't rate him at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not good.... I have been having nightmares about him. I cry whenever I remember him. I mean, I'm better, but I feel so confused. I can't see myself getting another dog or any other animal cause I think I don't deserve it. Besides that, I don't have the courage to speak to my sister, because when I was thinking about giving the dog up, she called me unresponsive and a lot of other things. She was really upset. I don't know what to do 😅

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts
I'm sorry you are having such a tough time. Never say never, try not to think of you nor deserving a dog, it's just this wasn't the right dog or the right time.

I hope you can help your sister understand that.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Look we all make mistakes the point is you admitted your problems very early. Looked for help and did a very responsible thing by returning your puppy to the shelter you did not abandon your dog, you are not cruel to your dog , you did not hand your dog over to strangers... you deserve a star and not criticism.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts