Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to spin my two lab mixes hair into thread to make cloth. :D
We spend serious groom time outside and they love being brushed, they shed a LOT of hair.

·
Registered
263 Posts
We spend serious groom time outside and they love being brushed, they shed a LOT of hair.
lol, wait til they get older - it gets worse! I have been working in grooming recently and we get a lot of labs in. It seems the older they are the more they shed! But they look so great after a nice brush session.

ever consider taking them in for a de-shed treatment?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. They love being brushed by me, so I'm happy to oblige. They DO look nice after the groom sessions and there is less to vacuum.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts

You actually can spin dog hair into yarn! Don't shave it (not that you do) just brush the undercoat out - that's the soft stuff.

I seriously thought about doing it but haven't yet. I really want to do it with my cat's fur because it is sooooo soft.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For those of you who work out, two 15 minute brushing sessions (one for each dog) can work those arm muscles. Today when I finished the brushing I used one of those grooming gloves, they just basked and smiled while I was doing that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
haha, well i'm sure garm's hair would be better suited to make steel wool rather than yarn. its thick enough to give you papercuts.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
You might already but try a raw diet to reduce the shedding.

But, it sounds like your dogs might miss all that attention and grooming if they shed less.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But, it sounds like your dogs might miss all that attention and grooming if they shed less.
They do love it. I even use the grooming glove on the poodle who doesn't shed much.
There were a couple threads somewhere here talking about hugging dogs. Lots of different perspectives there. But I think brushing them is another way to be close, and lots of dogs like being brushed.
Other forms of being together like watching TV or walking, are nice sharing times but don't deliver the same hands on closeness that brushing does.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I always said if I had saved all the pet hair I've pulled off my eyeballs, I would have enough to knit a sweater or two.

Just last week, I gave up on vacuuming the pet hair in my house. Jaya is blowing her coat and my carpet not only has clumps of hair on it that appear hourly...but there's a constant 'sheen' of hair covering most of it.

My carpet is a cut pile but it's very very short, not a 'fluffy type' looking carpet. That way every sits on top and doesn't have much fiber to go down into - so that layer of super fine hair can be seen.

Anyway, I got tired of pulling the vacuum out every day, and then hours later the carpet doesn't even look like I vacuumed. So, I went to the hardware store and bought a small close-tined debris/lawn rake. Yep, I am raking my carpet. :thumbsup:

It works so nice! And it's a lot more easier on my bad back than the heavier vacuum. The rakes is the kind that has flexible tines, and a lever that can make the tines spread out more, but I keep them closed up and the hair catches in them quite easily and comes off them very easily. My carpet looks as good as if I vacuumed with a lot less effort and no emptying the canister 3 times just to do the living room.

Stormy

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a great idea! I have area rugs on hardwood. I just leave my vacuum cleaner plugged in, in a corner of the dining room. I have a tiny house so the vac left there can reach the living room, dining room, and half the kitchen. The visible clumps on carpet and total hair in the vacuum are much less since I initiated the daily outside groom.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Get a short haired dog they said. It'll shed less they said. Well Zody didn't get the memo, he's shedding again and leaving little, short, hairs everywhere. Dog hair! Dog hair for everyone!!! I sat outside today and brushed him with the Kong ZoomGroom, I got a ton of hair off of him and left it outside for whatever critters that want to use it for nesting material.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts