Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my dog is really picky when eating, I try to feed her whatever we eat, observing not to give her anything with harmful stuff, like onions, garlic, chocolate, etc

I know it might not be the best, but it's how I treat her, and there is one meal only kibble and the other whatever we are eating

She sometimes does not want to eat something, so I tell her "If you don't eat that, I will not give you this" and wait until she eats it, and some times she picks the stuff and goes to another room, I didn't pay attention to this as I knew it "was instinctual", "I will take my food away so that the alpha does not take it from me" sort of behavior

Well, today I DID pay attention and I found that she takes it to the service room, and put it behind two gas cans I have not moved in years... There was a pile of dry and moldy food there, and for what I saw, it is all what she does not like and I tell her to eat or I won't give her "X" food XD XD XD

I just had the laugh of my life, there is no point on even getting angry, she outsmarted me and used something she knew I do not ever move as cover

· Super Moderator
8,493 Posts
Clever girl!

Just one point though, the alpha theory has been disproved and is now widely discredited. You might find this article interesting.

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Years ago we had a dalmation.. My mother was a really bad cook and she made scones that were so soild and hard they were like bricks.. My brother slyly offered his to the dog and to his great joy the dog took it and made off with it. When he came back we took turns and gave the dog our scone brick...

A few weeks later mum was giving the living room a good clean, pulled out a peice of furniture and found 4 scone bricks all neatly lined up where the dog had left them!

Dogs are not daft and will work their way into getting what they want or dont in this case..

The advice about the alpha dog theory is spot on though, its really out dated and de-bunked, best left to the history books.

· Registered
2,246 Posts
So, my dog is really picky when eating, I try to feed her whatever we eat, observing not to give her anything with harmful stuff, like onions, garlic, chocolate, etc

I know it might not be the best, but it's how I treat her, and there is one meal only kibble and the other whatever we are eating

She sometimes does not want to eat something, so I tell her "If you don't eat that, I will not give you this" and wait until she eats it, and some times she picks the stuff and goes to another room, I didn't pay attention to this as I knew it "was instinctual", "I will take my food away so that the alpha does not take it from me" sort of behavior

Well, today I DID pay attention and I found that she takes it to the service room, and put it behind two gas cans I have not moved in years... There was a pile of dry and moldy food there, and for what I saw, it is all what she does not like and I tell her to eat or I won't give her "X" food XD XD XD

I just had the laugh of my life, there is no point on even getting angry, she outsmarted me and used something she knew I do not ever move as cover
ROFL...
They are too clever for words!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.