Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 6 months ago, I brought a perfect little rescue mutt into my life (about 6 months old when I got him). He wasnt a breed I normally would consider (smaller) but I fell in love. He was very high energy but I assumed he would calms down and never did. His high energy conflicts with how I like to live my life (active in the gym, relax at home). His high energy becoming unbearable for me and to top things off, I didn't know what I was getting into when selecting such an active mix (Shepard/lab/terrier). I went so far as to adopt another dog to fill the void in my life before giving him up (because of my anxiety, a dog in my life has been nothing but a blessing). But the day before I was supposed to give him to his new owners, the look in the little guys eyes made it impossible for me to give him up!

Now, months later, his energy has not diminished and he's becoming a hassle. I know I would prefer a dog with lower energy and bigger size.

My options:

Find him a new home and continue dog-less

I adopt him a companion to occupy him (it will be harder to convince my housemates of this but if it's best, it's best)

I find him a new home and adopt either an older shelter dog (I have my eye on one, but I would feel oddly guilty trading my little guy in) or a new puppy that's lazier and more suitable to my lifestyle to start fresh with.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
About 6 months ago, I brought a perfect little rescue mutt into my life

My options:
One of your options would be to give up your gym membership and go running or whatever with your dog.
You haven't even begun to explore possibilities that might take care of the extra energy.
Another thought: You are NEVER going to adopt a perfect dog. All dogs require care and training, and have their quirks.
If you add another dog, it will have some sort of quirk or imperfection, and then you will have two to deal with. There is nothing wrong with having multiple dogs, but I think it would be better to work with the one you have first.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
You're never going to find a dog that blends seamlessly with your life (unless maybe you're a dog walker like me or work at a doggy daycare and take care of your dog as part of your job). Every relationship worth having is a give-take. Are you willing to scrap a relationship for this reason and take on a new one with unforeseen problems (severe or genetic behavioural issues, costly medical problems, a dog that just needs the same amount of your time in a different respect)? That's the question here.

I agree with Lucille. Run/walk/bike/hike/swim with your dog. Train him to follow you off-leash, or get him a harness and a 30 foot line. Join a dog sport like agility or flyball. Or teach him fetch, get a big Chuck-it, find a big field, and make that your morning ritual.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The chuck-it is a good idea. Also, it IS a hassle sometimes owning a high energy dog. They need to be worked with mentally and physically

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Are you interested in dog training?

Check out kikopup on YouTube, particularly training a dog to be calm. A good off switch could help a lot, this is something some dogs just don't develop unless you teach them.

It will take some time and effort but you should be able to manage a dog with an hour or so of exercise and a bit of training a day. If this sounds like too much for you rehome him. I don't think a puppy would be suitable for you, they really are little monsters that keep you inside and constantly watching them for at least 6 months. Going through a reputable rescue is probably your best option because they can match your personality with the dog.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I agree with @Lucille. Why not spend less time at the gym and exercise with your dog instead? I'm assuming you're an active person, would it really be too much of an inconvenience to run or hike with your dog instead of spending the time in the gym? What did you expect out of a dog? Something that would just do nothing all the time? Even old or lazy dogs are going to need to be walked. I'm thinking that if you rehome this dog is might be better to look into getting a cat instead.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I regularly work out at the gym and can say that gym workouts are a lot different than hike or run workouts, and work different parts of the body. Perhaps hiking or running wouldn't do what she needs that Dumbbells could do. Berating her for not hiking with her dog instead of being at the gym isn't a helpful alternative.

Have you tried training your dog? Sometimes mental training can tire out a dog just as much as physical working. Cosmo just wants to go lay down with a chewie after a training session. Make sure you're keeping him both mentally and physically satisfied. Someone already mentioned kikopup on YouTube and they're an awesome resource!

I do agree that you need to find the time to exercise your dog, so if you can fit that into your daily schedule (finding a local trail, field, etc he could run around in) that would help a lot im sure. If he can't be trusted off leash then get a long line and play whatever games he likes best (fetch, tug, buy a flirt pole, etc).

You don't have a couch potato dog, you have an active dog. If you're not willing to make it work then there's no point in forcing the dog to be miserable, and I would find him a new home with someone who can give him the time he needs. I would highly suggest you try to make it work though, as he's currently your responsibility as his owner.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Oh yeah, and in addition, please don't adopt another dog in hopes it will keep your current dog busy. That will put more work on you and you can't expect a dog to do what you are supposed to be doing as the owner. Dogs can't just play with each other, they need outside stimulation and to be physically/mentally challenged.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I regularly work out at the gym and can say that gym workouts are a lot different than hike or run workouts, and work different parts of the body. Perhaps hiking or running wouldn't do what she needs that Dumbbells could do.
I have a set of dumbbells at home I work out with. One of the reasons I don't go to a gym is to have more time at home. There are all sorts of videos, cards, etc. to show you how to work out.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I regularly work out at the gym and can say that gym workouts are a lot different than hike or run workouts, and work different parts of the body. Perhaps hiking or running wouldn't do what she needs that Dumbbells could do.
I have a good sized set of different weight dumbbells at home I work out with. One of the reasons I don't go to a gym is to have more time at home. There are all sorts of videos, cards, etc. to show you how to work out.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
@cos Since the main reason OP doesn't want to exercise their dog is because they only want to exercise at the gym, suggesting they split their time between exercising at the gym and taking care of their dog by doing their cardio with it instead is hardly unhelpful or berating. When you get a dog you have to be prepared to make some sacrifices to your own life and schedule--if you can't do that, you shouldn't have a dog. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
You can also get really creative with workouts. Play fetch while you do push-ups, lift weights while hiking, or even just find a big field and a long line, do a strength workout, and let your dog get some fresh air and smell some stuff.

Really, it's mainly strength training that is harder to replicate outside of a gym but it can certainly be done.

·
Registered
893 Posts
If the dog you brought home is too high energy for your wants/needs, there is nothing wrong in responsibly rehoming. I do suggest you wait a little while before getting another dog though. It will give you the time to really think about what energy level is best suited for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.