Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel terrible even saying that but I literally can’t stand my dog anymore. So... me and my boyfriend got a mixed puppy in may 2019 in april he will be one year old. Everything with him was perfectly fine at the begging, he was learning quickly, behaving okay and we really loved him and he bring us a lot of joy. Everything started to fall apart a few months ago and we started to get really frustrated with him. He learned how to bark and literally stared barking at everything. We tried to get him to stop but nothing worked. He also stared to be REALLY aggressive towards us without no reason. I’m talking really aggressive not like playful puppy biting. Now we actually can’t do anything in peace. We can’t eat because he barks so loud and hard. It got so bad that my boyfriend literally ate in bathroom a few times. We can’t have sex or kiss until we get him out of the bedroom because he will literally jump all over us or bark. I don’t even remember when we had sex like a normal couple. We can’t cook or even stand in the kitchen. We can’t have ANY people over because his barking is unbearable. Every time that we have a postman coming or a food delivery he barks like crazy. He literally barks all day from the moment he opens his eyes to the moment he closes them. He doesn’t act this way on walks though. As I mentioned earlier he is also really aggressive towards us. One time he bit my boyfriend so hard that he actually bled really bad. We fight really often because we are so frustrated with him and it’s is common that we even cry because we can’t stand the way he behaves. I’m also struggling with depression, anxiety and other mental issues so I literally feel like I’m on the edge with this dog. We literally say “I can’t stand this dog anymore” like a 50 times a day. I feel terrible that I feel this way but is is too much for me and us. The dog is really affecting our lives and relationship. I don’t know what to do because I am a real dog and animal lover and I just can’t stand this feeling that I have but I literally feel like going completely crazy because of this dog. I often catch myself thinking that it was such a bad decision to get him and that I miss life before having him. It is also my second dog (the first one stayed in my family house when I moved out of there). It is such a lovely dog and I’m really not used to having such a feeling towards my pet. Maybe I didn’t said enough about the situation but I’m feeling exhausted even thinking of it so if you have any questions let me know. What should we do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s the only thing that came to my mind but I’m so done with this situation that I feel overwhelmed with the thought of going for training with him...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't think you need a trainer, but a really good behaviourist. There is a reason for a dog to behave like this, even if you don't know what it is. He's not happy, you're not happy. A behaviourist may be able to see where your relationship with him has gone wrong, and may be able to steer you all in the right direction - this absolutely is not about simply training him not to bark.

This may be quite a long process but sometimes, even if you feel you're not up to it, it only takes a few changes in your dog's behaviour, a glimmer of how he could be, to give you hope. And to realise it's not his fault, any more than your mental issues are your fault.

That would be the 'ideal' route - but if you feel that you are done with the situation, then you need to investigate rescue organisations. You need one that will also try to get to the bottom of the issue so they can rehome him successfully, not one that will let anyone have him only for him to bounce back again if they can't address his barking.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I cant help putting myself in your dogs place and thinking why the hell would I want to be with people who cant stand me?

If its that bad contact a rescue and let your dog go to be with people who will spend the time to figure out whats wrong and invest in him as a dog instead of just seeing him as a problem..

As dogs tend to pick up on tension and illness and feelings from owners, Id really be asking what really came first, your problems and resentment or his behaviour? Because this sounds like action and reaction behaviour. He might be perfectly fine with someone else.

Better to admit you cant cope and find him a suitable home or rescue than continue and make yourself and him more miserable.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I think trying to involve a behaviorist is a good idea. Something is obviously causing him to not be happy. His behavior is the only way he has to express his frustration, which he seems to have a lot of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts