Dog Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
my puppy while not from a pet store was a byb dog. at the time i felt that the fact that i met the mother and siblings, and that they all lived as part of a family, they were fed good food (blue buffalo) and were happy and healthy, was good. at the time that was enough for me. i think in the future tho i will get a rescue dog. at that time i thought there $500 puppy adoption fee was way too much.
but i didnt considered i easily spent that on my $350 pup after factoring in everything ive bought her and the spaying and what else have you!

·
Banned
795 Posts
I got an email from ASPCA today asking me if I would sign a pledge to not buy anything from pet stores that sell puppies! I do to Petco once in awhile to buy something, but I am not be going anymore. I would never get a pet from pet store.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The Petco near me has a Cat adoption booth for the local rescue in the area. I thought that was really nice. Even though I am not a fan of Petco its the only option in my area, besides this creepy pet store that also sells phones and raises abandoned alligators that they eventually donate to a farm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I'm new here and I bought my puppy 3 weeks ago from Petland. First I need to say that when my fiancé and I started looking for a dog, we really wanted to do the right thing and adopt from a rescue or shelter. We applied for dogs at 3 different rescues and received 2 rejections and a non-response. We got rejected because we rent, don't have a yard, and already have a cat. We reject the idea that a yard is a necessity. When I was growing up, I was aquainted with many neighbors' and friends' dogs who were obese and unhealthy, all of whom had yards. They were just taken out to poop and pee, and never got any other exercise (most were also mean and aggressive). My fiancé grew up with dogs, all of whom were exercised and well-socialized.

As you can imagine, we got really frustrated trying to adopt, and we weren't prepared to shell out $1000+ for a "fancy purebred dog." The only option left was to go to Craigslist or a pet store, so we went to Petland (just to browse), and found a beautiful, healthy-looking golden retriever. Her price had been reduced because she was 17 weeks and "getting too old." They showed us her papers, which included a clean bill of health from a vet, and the name of her breeder (located in Iowa). Based on the information I had, there seemed to be no evidence of puppy mill origin. After we brought her home, I did some more research on the "puppy business" and found out it's not always as clear cut as that. The USDA reports on her breeder are all in compliance, and they never had more than 50 dogs on the premises at any given time. I read really emotional posts from people all the time saying that a responsible breeder would never to do this or never do that, but it's all pretty subjective to me. The only important factors in my mind is responsible breeding pairs (health checks), veterinary care, and humane treatment.

Which brings me back to MY dog, Acadia. She has been truly amazing; wonderful temperament, no health problems to speak of, super intelligent, responds quickly to training. She came home not knowing anything. By the end of our first day, she could walk on a leash like a pro. She was house broken in a week, except for a few accidents here and there. I've been working with her on some basic tricks, which she's picking up quickly. She gets three or more walks a day, and I take her to the dog park on my days off (I work 2 days a week). She loves everybody and everything, including our cat.

Sorry for the super long post. Would I ever consider buying from Petland again? Probably not. But I don't think it's fair to say that ALL pet store puppies come from puppy mills. I think that business model can be done responsibly, but I definitely support better federal and state kennel regulation. I'll probably get attacked for this, but I would appreciate anyone's thoughts.
Uhh Why?

Rescue is better. I rescued Quincy when the woman thought he was "too excitable and hard to train" Uhh hello? (He was a 2 year old Golden retriever) and the stupid woman kept him crated all the time. Like really?

·
Banned
795 Posts
The Petco near me has a Cat adoption booth for the local rescue in the area. I thought that was really nice. Even though I am not a fan of Petco its the only option in my area, besides this creepy pet store that also sells phones and raises abandoned alligators that they eventually donate to a farm.
I recused a cat and gave it to no kill shelter when I heard they brought the cat to Petco I was so upset!! The poor cat was terrorize of people and he was going having bratty kids banging on his cage at Petco!! I felt so guilty that happen to the cat. He did find a new home. Petco also take puppies from shelters. I don't like to see puppies and cats put on display in a store. The poor animals never get any rest with all the fools banging on their cages all day!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I adopted my cat from the Animal Love Foundation in Ontario. He was in a Foster home then brought to the local pet store to see if anyone was interested in him. I went up to his cage and said hello and stuck my figure though it and He licked my finger! That is how I knew he wanted to come home with me. I named him Ripley. There is a reason behind his name. 1 he is named after the Ripley's believe it or not museum in Niagara Falls, Ontario. and 2. The first three letters of his name are R.I.P. which we all know stands for Rest In Peace! So REST IN PEACE Quincy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay I am replying to your post as nicely as I know how. First of all "rescue people" as you so lovingly refer to people like me do not say that the new owners cannot go on a vacation after you adopt a pet! That comment is crazy! "rescue people" assume that if you are good enough to rescue an animal, you have all that stuff in order. Like find a good friend to look after your dog or cat and go on vacation!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Uhm.....ilovedogs....petco and petsmart are not bad places for animals to go for adoption.....that is where most are done. Our no kill shelter had 8 offsite locations petcos and petsmarts where some of our cats go. Cats that have been there for a year were adopted at an offsite location....try not to have such a negative outlook on a great adoption opportunity
Posted via Mobile Device

41 - 49 of 49 Posts