Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a new puppy (shepsky) that is just 6 weeks old as of Friday August 28. They both live with me. My son went and picked up this little guy on 8/29. The puppy (Argos) was understandably nervous and was a bit shaky on the ride to our home but he did very well :). We noticed some dry flaky skin that looked like cradle cap on an infant. Figured it was because he was so young and we had never had a puppy that young before. Well some of the dandruff started to move and we realized he has lice. We have been bathing him and brushing him daily and those are starting to die off. I am worried because he is still isn't eating and the breeder gave my son adult food for him ( we bought puppy food). He drinks water like crazy and he pees and poos but he just isn't active like I think he should be and tonight his breathing was faster than it has been. He should also be eating right? My son has a vet appointment on 9/3 in the afternoon. They did not seem to be concerned but I have all of these bad thoughts running through my head that something isn't right. Does anyone know if I am worrying for nothing or what we should be doing?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
He's still very young and should still be with his mum and litter mates for at least another 2 weeks so he'll be understandably a little nervous and scared because he shouldn't be away for them yet.

I have no advice or experience for the food issue but he should be on a high quality puppy food until he is old enough to transition to adult formula.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I agree he is to young to be away from his mom and the rest of his litter. I do feel that if it wasn't us then it may have been someone that didn't care as much. We have a very high quality of puppy food and he shows no interest in it except to walk through it :) lol. Maybe he should be on a liquid puppy formula for a bit longer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm no expert...however I agree 6 weeks was a bit young to separate him from the mom. It may be worth consulting a vet if he doesn't eat. He's probably due for some shots anyway.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I agree he is to young to be away from his mom and the rest of his litter. I do feel that if it wasn't us then it may have been someone that didn't care as much. We have a very high quality of puppy food and he shows no interest in it except to walk through it :) lol. Maybe he should be on a liquid puppy formula for a bit longer?

You might want to try some boiled chicken and rice, see if he'll eat some of that. Or soak his kibble in water to soften it up. Little guy is probably super nervous and scared. While 6 weeks is definitely too young to be away from his family, what's done is done and the breeder you got him from doesn't sound very competent so don't fret over his age. Just do your best to give him a happy life. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your advice. I took Argos to the vet this morning and found out that he was full of parasites that had been there for at least a few weeks if not more. The vet tried everything she could do to save him but unfortunately he passed away this afternoon. We have filed a complaint with the local humane society and apparently we are not the first to file a complaint against this "breeder". They have sent the police out to the home and the only thing that can be done is give them a citation for not having a kennel license (which they told my son they had). Lesson learned. At least Argos passed knowing the love of a family even if it was for a short period of time. :( . Maybe if we get another dog i will be on again but until then Thank You.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Oh, my gosh. I am so sorry to hear that. :( Hopefully your report will help in something being done eventually, even if it's not done now. Those kind of "breeders" make me so sad.

If you do consider getting another dog, please look into reputable breeders that do health checks and such. There's a great thread on that topic that goes into detail for what you should look for: http://www.dogforum.com/new-additions/bybs-puppymills-petstores-reputable-breeders-88226/

Again, I'm so sorry that this happened to you, and I hope you'll be able to get on with your life as per normal soon. <3

Reactions: Grabby

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I'm so sorry. That's not the first time I've heard that story, unfortunately.

If you do decide to get another dog, please let us know. We'd be more than happy to point you to a good rescue or breeder so you can have the experience you were hoping for.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'm so sorry this has happened to you :( you obviously tried to do the best for this little guy, there are some unscrupulous people out there & you're right, you gave him love & care in the few days he was with you. :huddle:

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I'm so sorry. What a terrible experience. I hope there is some sort of sanction imposed against this breeder.

I too hope you come back for advice if you get another puppy. I'm glad this pup knew some kindness and love from you and your son in his final days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts