Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted a medium to large sized dog. I thought Maggie weighed 40lbs but I found out at the vet on Saturday that she only weighs 30lbs. I didn't think it mattered but it is really bothering me. I love Maggie to death, don't get me wrong and I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world but I am still bummed. I feel like I look at her differently now, I don't know if I think of her as fragile now or what but I just kind of sad.

I just need someone to tell me I am being stupid.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
You're being stupid. :p JK. ;) I thought Nola weighted 8lbs, but my scale was wrong and she's actually 11lbs even. It doesn't bother me in the slightest; I actually feel better knowing she's more robust than I thought. My scale also told me I was 118, but turns out I'm 120. Not bothered by that, either. :p

·
Registered
624 Posts
I wouldve liked Banner to have been a bigger dog too.. i feel as though we were deceived by the shelter who said he would be a lot bigger at full size but honestly, thats a lot of awesomeness to be packed into his body ;) seriously though.. i kinda get you, even though it doesnt change how much you love her, exc. it is a little disappointing when you were counting on something else... on the plus side your dog is twice the size of mine lol. so she is very big, to us at least ;)

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Ummm, yea-in the words of Forest Gump... adopting is like a box of chocolates. You just never know what you're gona get. Pretend you never saw the scale. She's still the same dog that looked 40lb to you before.
I thought Nyla would top off at 50 which would make her the smallest dog I've ever had. I was wrong. She's 70lb now.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
10,708 Posts
When I got Shadow as a pup I though he'd get a lot bigger then he ended up being.

I think of it this way, I thought I was going to London and somehow ended up in Dublin. Turns out that I really like Dublin, LOL.

30 lbs is a medium size dog, probably just on the lower size of the medium sized dog range. Shadow at 23-24 lbs is on the lowest end of the medium sized scale. Trust me when a dog is at that weight they're not fragile and they can do everything that a bigger dog can do.

Us medium dog owners have the perk of the added benefit of cheaper flea and heartworm preventive. If the dog ever has to be carried we can do so on our own and don't have to call for help, the heavier the dog the harder it gets on the back.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
they come up too big or too little even with purebreeds. Truthfully even being 20 lbs would not make her fragile.

·
Registered
259 Posts
When I first saw Callie pic on petfinder, she looked HUGE - big and burly and fluffy. She was listed as an F1 Aussie bernese mix, 55 Ibs at the time but the rescue predicted she'd be 75-85 full grown. When I actually saw her, I could tell by her build shed never hit 65 without being overweight (and she wasn't fluffy either :( ).

I think for me, it was partly that I had to fight to get a big dog. origianally my folks gave me a 25 ibs limit and had to fight for 50-60 pounds, and I was extatic that they were agreeing to her. But I fell in love at first sight, and she's filled out to a nice 60 ibs. plus that she looked so different (but so pretty) from her petfinder profile. Even now when I look back at it, they barely look like the same dog.

I agree with Nyla - she's the same dog she's always been, a few pounds doesn't make her fragile.

one thing I see a lot though, people who buy purebred puppies from breeders good or backyard, then complain when the dogs grown that it doesn't look how they expacted - my yorkie's too big, my doberman isn't big enough, my gsd's ears don't stand, my doodle doesn't *insert what they expected a mixed breed puppy to be* My thought on that is, if you were so concorned about a certain look, then why didn't you get an adult that looked as you wanted? they're the dog you raised from a baby right - you love them as is

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'd say 30 lbs is a good medium. Small enough to where you can pick her up when you need to, and she's easy to take places, but big enough to where you don't have to worry about her being smooshed or something, like you would with a 5-10 lbs dog (I'm a clumsy person lol, this is my main concern with me having little dogs).

I always thought Flynn would be big. Both her parents were pretty big, dad about 65-70 lbs, the mom was around 50 lbs. So I assumed she'd be between there. Nope. She's a pipsqueak. She's at 32 lbs at 8 months old, and she's been this size for a few months. I don't think she's going to get much bigger than 35 lbs. Rhea is 50 lbs, so she's a big medium dog, I honestly don't see much of a difference between the two, accept that Flynn has shorter, more muscly legs, and Rhea has long slender ones. They even wear the same size harness as each other.

So, don't feel bad :) There isn't much difference between 30 lbs and 40 lbs in the long run. It's all medium.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Natasha was suposed to be a medium dog, she's getting to the big side, honestly, being so tall and in her good weight, she looks like a big dog. We never thought she'd get this big, but we love her the same.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I can understand why you would feel that way. But 30 pounds is definitely robust! My border collie only reached 30 pounds (I thought he'd be closer to 40), and he does agility, Flyball, goes hiking with me, travels with me, roughhouses with my 80 pound German shepherd. He's not fragile at all! And actually my 16 pound chihuahua mix isn't either! Used to take her on 10+ mile hikes with me.

Just pretend you never weighed him. Nothing's changed right? He can still do everything You wanted him to do when you thought he was 40 pounds!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I completely understand! I was so disappointed when Buddy topped out at 50 pounds--and to be honest, that's my generosity. He's really 47ish pounds--I was told he'd more than likely hit 80 He's also not even knee high on me (I'm 5'9") so I almost feel cheated, because I've always wanted a big dog, and wound up with one that's small/medium; In my eyes, anyways.

I think all that, but then I remember that I love him more than most my family, and he's perfect just the way he is :p So I kiss his big blocky head and then I feel better lol.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Yeah Raggy weighs the same as when I got him at 8 months old,75ibs. Is about 23-24" shoulder height,which is a bit short as well. Although could be considered a 80ib dog,sense he weighed 84ibs once and was still good weight.

At first I wished he would be a little bigger,but now I really like his appearance and appreciate his agility.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I completely understand. When we first started searching for a dog, I wanted a giant breed (St. Bernard, Newfie, Great Dane). We ended up with a standard poodle who is much, much smaller than I really wanted or expected. I love her dearly, but wish she were 10lbs or so heavier.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I also completely get it.
At my first assignment my house was like a foster place for run away dogs. So got to know the base vet pretty good.
She asked if I would adopt an abused shepard from her. Her older Dobie would not let him eat. Told her if he got along with my Shih tzu it was fine.
Met him no problems she said he was done growing he was about a year old. Weighed about 60lbs. I was fine with that. But weight for it nooooooo.
Turned out he had some giant breed mixed in or something because his healthy natural weight tipped scales at 90+lbs. Loved him to death but never wanted such a big dog. RIP Copper/Maggie

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone! You really made me feel better. Its good to know that I am not the only one that feels this way sometimes. I love Maggie and would do anything for her. We just had an amazing training session and she is just so smart.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
You're human! No sense in beating yourself up over it. You wanted a larger dog but ended up with a smaller one than expected. Doesn't make you a bad person and it doesn't mean you love her less. Now, if you were to post her on craigslist or give her to a shelter because she didn't turn out as big as expected, then that's a different story!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 17 of 17 Posts