Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found this place completely by accident. Anyway My "dog" is a 75% Alaskan Tundra Wolf / Giant Malamute. Yeah, she is real, extra teeth, amber eyes, wrong tail, legs way to long. She is 5 years old, had her since she was 6 weeks. She is about the lowest wolf content I have ever owned and just a ball of happy play energy that loves going to the park/pet store and meeting new people.

Anyway, I'm just going to do a lot of lurking but if you have a hybrid or were thinking about getting one message me. I read some of the horror stories here and have dealt with them before in my wolves and other peoples wolves around here.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Welcome! So glad you could join!

Wolf-dogs are so lovely and amazing looking, I'm glad yours is so happy. It sounds like she is given wonderful care. : )

·
Registered
290 Posts
Do you have any pictures? I've always been fascinated with wolf hybrids and love meeting new people who have them. I have an acquaintance who owned a couple and works for a sanctuary. Mostly animals who have been dumped because the owner got them because they thought they were "cool" and no different from domestic dogs and, obviously, weren't prepared for them or willing to adjust their own lives to the animals' needs.

As a fun fact, no respectable person in the wolf hybrid world uses percentages because genes simply don't work that way. If you cut a fourth out of a pumpkin pie and replace it with the same amount of blueberry pie, you have a pie that is 75% pumpkin and 25% blueberry. It doesn't work like that with animal genetics - even with a wolf hybrid whose parents were full dog and full wolf respectively, the genes could still combine in various ways and come out more, less, or equally wolf or dog. Any respectable person in wolf hybrids simply uses content to describe how much wolf is in a hybrid (as you know: low, mid, or high).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ah! Hello fellow owner! ^_^ Okay, so I don't own them, I (and a friend) rescue them from idiotic owners who think wolves (and wolfdogs, and foxes) make great pets. Most of the ones we've rescued are lows or low-mids. Though the sandy one is more upper mid. We are never 100% sure on their backgrounds, of course.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts