Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
a friend of mine found a husky puppy (close to being a year old i assume, male) and because she cant keep him, she gave him to me. I really like dogs and i really want to keep him but i don't know much about huskies in general and because he was at another house before, i don't know how to make him feel like this is his home now. Any advice or questions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
420 Posts
There are some good Husky forums - itsahuskything for one. They are interesting and, challenging dogs but, can be the joy of your life once you understand them and, get them trained a bit.

They are energetic dogs that don't tolerate heat well. They are reluctant to show discomfort, illness or injury, they have a high prey drive and, they were bred to disobey a command if they think it's dangerous for them or you if they obeyed. (A sled dog going left when he was told to go right because there is thin ice to the right, even though the owner doesn't know that.)

They are hardy dogs but, like any large breed, they can have joint and hip problems if they don't get proper nutrition, exercise and, care.

They shed a little all of the time but, twice a year they bow their coats. Then for a couple of weeks, you'll swear five dogs worth of hair per day comes off of them. Those of us that own them joke that Husky Hair is our favorite accessory and, favorite condiment on food- it's always on us and often in our food when they are blowing their coats. LOL.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts