Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so we got a rescue Siberian husky puppy and it has been a rollercoaster. Nothing I can't handle since I bred pits at one point. But Huskies are wild dogs man. It's like owning a cat in a dog body. My husband visited him for weeks before he got here. But its been about two months now and he hasn't warmed up to him yet. He loves the abusive loud toddler and the stinky baby and I'm definitely his favorite ( We believe it's due to a strong resemblance to the first owner) but he is horrified of my husband no matter how sweet he is. He can't get a leash on him, he can't approach him. He's about 9 months old now. What can we do to get him to like my husband more? I've never dealt with a dog that wasn't instantly smitten to most humans. Are they just totally one person dogs? Or will he eventually warm up to my husband?

·
Banned
275 Posts
When I was in high school we got a Husky. She was definitely different than any other dog we'd had before or I've had since. You're right, they're more like cats, and they just don't do the normal "dog" thing like you'd expect. Especially coming from a breed as people-oriented as pits, I'm sure this new dog is a puzzle. I wish I had some advice, but the one my family had decided she'd rather live with a neighbor a few doors down. He was fine with it so we let her go live out her days with him. We got a lab mix who worshiped us and liked everyone else too.

Good luck. I hope some on here with Huskies have good advice!

·
Registered
172 Posts
This isn't a "husky issue". Dogs of any breed can be fearful of certain people. Some dogs warm up to people on their own, but since it's been two months you will probably have to take steps to help him overcome his fear.

Here are some things to try, if you haven't already:
1) Don't force the dog to interact with your husband. Your husband should act as nonthreatening as possible towards the dog - no direct eye contact, no attempted touching or petting, soft tone of voice when near the dog, etc.
2) Have your husband periodically toss treats to the dog. He doesn't need to look at or approach the dog, just toss the dog treats when he walks past. This will help the dog associate your husband with good experiences.
3) Don't rush it. When the dog is ready your husband can progress to handfeeding him.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The weirdest thing is that even though he doesn't like my husband when he's here he spazzes out whenever he leaves and sits on the window sill till he gets home. It's like he wants to like him but hes horrified.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My suggestion would be to have your husband praise the dog to the max, even if he is lunging, barking (or whatever he does) at him, the more the lunging/barking (or whatever) the greater the praise. Also, have your husband feed him, by that I mean, have him put the food into his bowl in a trickle and continue his praise of him while he eats. At the hint of a tail wag, see if he will sniff your husband's hand, just have your husband put it limply out towards the dog and let him sniff it if he feels so inclined. Don't have your husband make eye contact. If he does this for a few repartitions, you might find the dog begins to soften and trust your husband.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.